1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anytimebackupcamera.com Install- Front and Rear Cameras

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Papadave418, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Apr 10, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    empty_space

empty_space Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ended up solving the issue if anyway has the same issue. That pin was loose again, I made sure it wasn't going anywhere this time :)

Also, I made a post of my install, which makes connecting all the wires together a bit easier here!
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-3rd-gen-today.399305/page-7758#post-23118699

DES2009 likes this.
  2. Apr 12, 2020 at 2:51 PM
    trdeez

trdeez Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road

Could use some help from those smarter than me. Helping a friend switch from push button switches, one for the front and one for the rear to a rocker style switch. We followed the diagram @n6vmo posted as the rocker had the 7 poles and tried to replicate @Papadave418 install that he posted. While the cameras worked prior with the two switches,now that we have converted it to the rocker switch we are left with the following issue:

The HVAC lights do not work and neither front or rear camera is activated when the switch is thrown in either way. When the truck is put into reverse and the front camera switch is activated the front camera is activated. Additionally the HVAC lights on the dash will work again. Also getting some lights in the instrument panel in the dash light up like the low tire pressure light.

The only thing I can think of is that the red wire off the RCA cable on the harness side may have not been connected to a power source when we originally installed the system. Would that cause the issue we are having?

Using a multimeter we tested the black wires from the harness (it should be the power as it was an early version of the harness) and it only shows power when the truck is in reverse. I thought these were constant hot wires from the harness? Red output wires and relay out wire from the switch are powered when switch is flipped in the appropriate direction.

Anyone have these issues or have any ideas on how to remedy this?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. Apr 12, 2020 at 10:04 PM
    empty_space

Member:
    I'm not sure without seeing a diagram of your wiring. Make sure you have a good ground going to your relay (Pin 85 I think).

When the switch is in the FRONT position, you will want 12V from the HU to be routed to the override wire. That will tell the HU to switch to the camera view. In addition, you will also want the relay to be powered so it switches to the front camera. AND you want this to power your camera so it it is not on all the time

When the switch is in the REAR position, you do not want the relay powered. You only want the override wire to have power.

Since your harness is older, I can't tell you which colors to route to.

I made another drawing that might help visualize the rocker switch (its pictured in the neutral position). You want your two common pins to be 12V so that when you rock the switch front or back, it supplies power where it needs to.
    upload_2020-4-12_23-2-39.jpg

4. Apr 13, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    trdeez

trdeez Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Off Road
    Thanks for the info. The version we have has the red and black wires from the harness that is in loom so I was under the impression that the black is the 12v power.

The diagram below is the how we wired the rocker switch albeit the only connection we have not made is the crimp/splice connection to the red relay wire from the video. I am assuming that is the red wire of the RCA?
    [​IMG]

To confirm, the 12v wire from the harness should have constant power when the truck is on? The override will be powered when the switch is activated as well as the relay correct? Just trying to make sure I test the wring again to confirm connections are being made appropriately.

Any clue on why the HVAC lights are not on unless the truck is in reverse and the front camera switch is activated?

5. Apr 13, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    n6vmo

n6vmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR AT Super "Priviledged"
    Bilstein 6112, ICON UCAs, 5160, AAL, 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks
    Referencing the diagram above:

The 'Black' line from the head unit to the switch will supply 12VDC when the ignition is 'on'. Can not remember what color the actual wire is in the override cable.

The 'Red' line from the head unit to the switch will supply the above 12VDC to the head unit to command it to display the video on the 'VIDEO CABLE' from the relay.

When the switch is set to 'Front Camera' the switch will supply 12VDC to the head unit to command it to display the video on the 'VIDEO CABLE'. At the same time, it powers the front camera and switches the relay to the front camera's video.

6. Apr 13, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    empty_space

Member:
    Yup, that is correct. You only want 12V when the truck is on and the override will be powered with the switch is activated as FRONT.

I'm not sure on the HVAC lights, you must have some other connections wrong with that other harness (the one with the RCA connector). I would disconnect all wires except for the ones in the diagram you posted to make sure everything works as expected first.

7. Apr 26, 2020 at 7:44 PM
    Justin7841

Justin7841 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tacoma TRD OR
    Hey Guys, just trying to do some research... has anyone had any success wiring up the front camera switch to a Meso Customs stealth shift knob? I wanted to try to be able to activate the front camera with my extra button on there.

I'm not sure if I would need to get a single button for the backup camera and run the wiring to the shift knob for the front, or If the button that comes with the full kit would work if I just ran the backup camera to it.

If anyone has any insights on that, I would greatly appreciate it =)

Greg.Brakes.Tacos likes this.
  8. Apr 26, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    CAG Gonzo

CAG Gonzo Ascendant Spaghetti

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB BarRed
    I've done it. I have the dual position toggle button that came with the kit and the front wired up to the second switch.

9. Apr 29, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    JDUB-Fabrication

JDUB-Fabrication Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newburgh NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Lexus GX460
    I apologize if this question has already been asked, I was unable to find information on this specific concern so here it is:

With the Anytime rear and front camera kit for a 2019 Tacoma TRD, would I be able to also add a screen mirror device? Either wired or wireless mirror capabilities?

I want to add a front camera and, anytime rear camera while also having the ability to mirror my iPhone to the stock screen.

10. Apr 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM
    empty_space

Member:
    You would need another video switch to change out the video feed and something like this.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019ME7GA6?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I made a custom solution in order to do that. But you could add another relay and switch in the harness. I'm not sure of any other way without upgrade your HU.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-3rd-gen-today.399305/page-7757#post-23118699

11. May 1, 2020 at 6:50 PM
    bill7549

bill7549 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    Predator pro steps Victory 4x4 Blitz winch bumper WarnVR EVO 8-S winch
    I finally got around to installing my ABC setup on my 2018 with the Nakina camera that has been recommended by others. Following the ABC video and the video with Wanderlost Overland, after hooking everything up and rechecking all connections the following happen once turning on the truck.

1. The front camera feed is on once turning the truck on. It stays on no matter what position the switch is in or what gear the truck is in.
    2. The amber lights on the switch are always on, even if the truck is off. If I flick the switch up or down with the truck off, the cabin temp lights and BSM lights, etc will flash momentarily.

I hooked the power up to an add a fuse on the efi as recommended by Robmotives video.

I’ve emailed the company but haven’t heard back yet. Anyone have an idea what is wrong?

12. May 3, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    solrchrgd

solrchrgd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    2019 CB Tacoma DC Offroad
    Any chance someone kept their extra shims for the camera? I didn’t get any shims with my kit. I would willing to pay a few bucks for them.

13. May 3, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    solrchrgd

solrchrgd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    2019 CB Tacoma DC Offroad
  14. May 3, 2020 at 11:27 PM
    empty_space

Member:
    Did you ever fix this? The power should come from the HU, which is only powered when the truck is running or in accessory mode.
    And I don't think I got shims either with my camera.

15. May 3, 2020 at 11:51 PM
    CAG Gonzo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB BarRed
    I'd either replace the item (assuming it was bought on Amazon) or contact the seller. That being said, I'd have to check my bucket o' parts but I think I have the two smallest leftover.

16. May 4, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    bill7549

bill7549 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    Predator pro steps Victory 4x4 Blitz winch bumper WarnVR EVO 8-S winch
    Dang, that was totally the problem. I watched RobMotive and Taco Twonz's You Tube videos and they both ran power to the camera from the fuse box (add a fuse). Once I disconnected that, the system works like it should. Thanks to you and to the guys at Anytimebackupcamera.com. They responded to me this weekend with the same advice.

The Natika camera is top notch. I installed it left center of the TSS radar system and tested it out. It doesn't seem to block the radar, at least not in the limited time I tested it. So far, no need for shims, but still testing over the next couple of days.

IMG_0213.jpg

Bill

17. May 4, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    empty_space

Member:
    Sweet! Glad you got it working

bill7549 likes this.
  18. May 6, 2020 at 12:56 PM
    Greg.Brakes.Tacos

Greg.Brakes.Tacos Don't Feed the Animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Between Richmond and Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Taco DCSB TRD off road
    wanna be mods
    I got a pack. PM coming once I locate and have in hand.

19. May 6, 2020 at 12:58 PM
    Greg.Brakes.Tacos

Greg.Brakes.Tacos Don't Feed the Animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Between Richmond and Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Taco DCSB TRD off road
    wanna be mods
    Am I understanding it right, you just bypasses the rocker switch for the front camera and wired it from the relay to the 2nd stealth switch?

20. May 6, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    CAG Gonzo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB BarRed
    I can use the included switch completely if I want the front or rear cam toggled on. The second switch activates the same circuit ahead of the ABC switch but just isn't a toggle since it's momentary.

Products Discussed in

To Top