1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auxilary battery tray that isn't overkill?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Eselkopf1, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Mar 12, 2018 at 11:38 AM
    Eselkopf1

Eselkopf1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Does anyone make a gen two auxiliary battery tray that isn't completely ridiculous?

I mean they are cool and all. CNC machined, waterjet cutout, powder coated, ceracoated, LED, polished aluminum, titanium, airbrushed flames, and all manner of other stuff. But that is not really my style. I am just trying not to freeze to death at high elevation next elk season.

I haven't been able to find much that isn't insane or "trick" aside from the generic Jegs (and the like) trays. Jegs tray would be fine, I would have to fit it myself (under the hood passenger side). Does anyone know of a sensible direct bolt up option?

MY50cal likes this.
  2. Mar 12, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    twhalm

twhalm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD/OR Manual, OME , Dual battery
    I bought some sheet metal and made my own janky one. My truck is still in one piece!

But yeah I agree, there are a lot of garish and overpriced battery trays out there.

3. Mar 12, 2018 at 11:47 AM
    aztacoadventures

aztacoadventures Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2008 White Tacoma TRD
    Flip-pac camper, Pelfreybilt front bumper, RCI Sliders, Dual Battery setup
    I couldnt find a Group 27 battery tray that would work for me, so I made one out of angle iron. Super easy.

twhalm likes this.
  4. Mar 12, 2018 at 11:48 AM
    excorcist

excorcist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner
    Simplest would be to just get a battery box and throw it in the bed.

It would be pretty easy to make up a bracket yourself if you're so inclined.

Here is a good thread to read up on lots of ideas:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...ts-see-them-multiple-batteries-thread.295653/

Curious what you are going to use for heat that requires 12v?

5. Mar 12, 2018 at 11:57 AM
    Eselkopf1

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    "Curious what you are going to use for heat that requires 12v?"

The engine, I carry about 10 extra gallons around also. I really just want starting redundancy. Nearly got in serious trouble last season. I had a chainsaw, ax, and fuel and everything would have been ok. Luckily I got a jump from another hunter before the weather came in. I would have been stuck out there a few days and had to weather blizzard. I also would have had to make a MONSTER fire. Electric coffee maker would be nice, or a small heating element in the cooler to keep my liquids liquid. Other than that not much.

excorcist likes this.
  6. Mar 12, 2018 at 12:02 PM
    excorcist

excorcist Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '06 dcsb, '86 pickup, '89 runner
    I hear ya. If you are just looking for a back up for starting I highly suggest one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/DBPOWER-1800...1221&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=jump+starter&psc=1

Cheaper, lighter, and more compact than dual battery setup, I carry one and it has been great, you can also use it as a battery pack for anything thing that uses usb.

I have also been considering grabbing one of these for a warm meal while on the go:

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-12-V...UTF8&qid=1520881273&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+stove

7. Mar 12, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    Eselkopf1

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    I try to always hunt with a partner and two vehicles, but that's not always possible.

Those little boost boxes are cool, and I did consider them. But if I am out wheeling in the snow with a stick shift and I choke her out or I gotta outrun a mountain storm then I don't want to have to get in and out and jump myself over and over. Especially if I find myself sliding around on something steep. I want to be able to hit that clutch override and turn the key.

It can get pretty hairy trying to lose elevation quickly sometimes. The mountain weather is dangerous and really hard to forecast. You will know the weather is coming, but be expecting it way later. All of a sudden you see it come over the mountain next to you 6-10 hours early and its time to go! Your conditions at 12k feet in weather might be certain death, or at least buried for a few days, while 3-4 miles down the train and at 7k feet pretty easy going. There is also the windswept side of the mountain and the side where the snow just piles up. Or you may be on the north side, but the southside will melt faster.

Plus riding out a storm in a hotel with a pizza is more my style.

Yo_Hec likes this.
  8. Mar 12, 2018 at 1:46 PM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    Depending on what year/package of your Tacoma, the below might work for you. I'm currently trying to find others interested and pointing them towards this thread. Iggy, the vendor, needs 5 orders to do a batch run. We've currently got 4 if anyone is interested. It fits on the passenger side, but not if the brake booster and whatnot are over there. Take a look and see if it fits!

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-or-second-battery-mount.419262/

9. Mar 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM
    Eselkopf1

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Whats the price? Mine is a TRD and that whole passenger side is empty

10. Mar 12, 2018 at 2:21 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I believe it's $175.00. Not cheap, but nowhere near as crazy as those ones over $450 for all the pretty anodized stuff. And they usually only fit smaller batteries. This fits a group 27 battery and has mounts for a breaker and MLACR (battery isolator control). Will make setting up the dual battery system components easy, and it'll look great.

11. Mar 12, 2018 at 2:36 PM
    Eselkopf1

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    No thank you.

12. Mar 12, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    YF_Ryan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    Haha, no worries. If you find anything else more reasonable that fits in that giant void we have under our hood, let me know! I might need to keep looking if we can't find a fifth person.

13. Mar 12, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    GroupW

GroupW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Red TX
    3 inch lift with Toytec Boss and All Pro UCA's up front. AP expedition leafs with Bilstien 5100 shocks in the back. 255/85/16 Cooper S/T Max tires. All Pro skids, rear bumper and sliders, Hidden winch mount with XRC 8000 winch. Dual Optima batteries with IBS combiner/isolator and solar. CMC. Auto sliding rear window mod, hidden CB, CVJ axles and plenty of other little mods.
    I got mine from Armor Tech Offroad. Works great, fits two optima's just fine

J&ATacoma likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top