1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aww yea 5100's & 885's!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tacoluver, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Why not get the parts designed to do what you want?? You can get Camburg lift spindles that'll get you 4 inches off the bat and then add coilovers/5100s/whatever else you want to that??

The springs with the preload is asking for something to break imho...Not to mention the problems with shock stroke.

2. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    Tacoluver

Tacoluver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road shortbed
    Volant cold air intake, RevTek 3" Lift, Snug Top Toneau cover, Kenwood Navi, Jamoshi grill
    Wait I just realized that many of you might think I plan on using the actual REvtek spacer that compresses the spring. This IS NOT the case. I'm not that dumb. Instead I plan on using the thin silver spacer that installs on top of the assembly after it's compressed. Just trying to clear up some confusion here.

3. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    HELLO! we are trying to save you from a very very bad mistake! do not set the springs at any other height other than 0". listen to the man with 37000 posts!! he is right!!

sorry to be mean :(

cause you do realize after 4" lift there is no more going down for travel its all up!

4. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM
    Tacoluver

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road shortbed
    Volant cold air intake, RevTek 3" Lift, Snug Top Toneau cover, Kenwood Navi, Jamoshi grill
    I'm not willing to shell out that much $ for an extra 1" of lift. Instead I'm gonna see if I can get there taking this route. At most I may destroy the balljoints and have to buy UCA's which I may end up doing if i can't align it.

5. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    honestly uca's are the least of your worries at this point :sadviolin:

but there are some tc ucas in the for sale, if your pretty sure your gonna need them!

6. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Tacoluver

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road shortbed
    You guys do understand that there will still be plenty of shock travel up and down set at .85". I checked with the salesman at Wheelersoffroad before I bought these, he claims that people are doing this and at .85" it is safe. Only ill effects may be a bit harsher ride. This makes perfect sense if you understand suspension geometry. I just need to know how off camber and caster will be with this setup. As of now with the REvtek lift I'm within spec as far as camber goes and just a bit out with caster.

7. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I hope you have health insurance... Because your spine and teeth are going to take a hit from that wagon ride...

8. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My guess is you spent somewhere in the neighbor hood of 400-500 bones for the parts you got- so it would be another 500-600 or so to get the spindles.

But instead of spending the money to do it the right way...
    You would rather risk an unanticipated catastrophic failure (like a spring seat departing it's perch, a shock bottoming out, or a ball joint crapping out and collapsing) just to see what happens. I hope when your shit does break- It's not too bad and it's cheaper than the money you saved.

Good luck...It's obvious you are going to do it no matter what anyone tells you...so I'm done wasting my time.

I'm out...~Peace

9. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    you do realize that your not only getting a lift from only the shocks, but also from the springs then again the top plate spacer? did you mention to the guy that your not using stock springs? he might have just wanted to make a sale lol

10. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Dude your allignment will be fucked!! Take it from me...I'm running a 3" lift w/ stock UCAs and it ruins my life lol...but LR UCAs are on the way :)

11. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    OME springs = 3" lift on PreRunner 4 door +
    Bilstiens set at .85" lift +
    1/4" spacers which give 1/2" lift +
    OEM UCA's = 4" lift.....

You have been warned about this. Good luck, and I hope it turns out how you like. :)
    Please keep us updated.

12. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    Tacoluver

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road shortbed
    Yea this is the most of my worries at this point since I'm pretty much maxed out now with my stock UCA's. But my alignment is liveable and apparently 'usnatclee" http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/56572-just-installed-my-new-lift.html
    was able to get it aligned set at .85".

13. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    nelson18matt2

nelson18matt2 same guy as other nelson18matt

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD Prerunner
    Icon CO, Camburg UCA, timbrens, bili 5100, deaver J59, glassworks fenders, BFG AT, AR mojave teflons
  14. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    Tacoluver

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road shortbed
    OME springs only give 3" of lift when the top plate is used. Why is no one getting this?

15. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    By getting it "Aligned", I know its not. No way it can be propperly aligned with that much lift on the OEM UCA's....They simply dont have the adjustment. However, if you consider "Aligned" to mean, Getting the truck to drive straight down the road, then Ok.

16. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    how is it that an entire board can argue with you...and youd rather believe 1 other guy and a salesman?

not only that but umm...the guy youre following said this

and i think Chris has an idea about 885s since he already has them on his truck

17. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

If you have come to this conclusion, I would assume you know what happens when a ball joint fails, right? Its not very pretty when you're going down the highway..

Save yourself the trouble and go by some spindles. It takes money to play, going the cheap route will get you cheap results.

18. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    I would listen to Chris. He is probably one of smartest guys on this forum about our trucks. He knows what he is talking about.

19. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i cant wait to see the epic fail afterwards

20. Nov 5, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member