1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axle shaft and metal shavings

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JohnsTacoma, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Aug 17, 2017 at 3:00 PM
    JohnsTacoma

JohnsTacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    I was replacing my rear inner axle seal today. When i removed the axle I noticed that there is some play at the bearing and axle shaft. This is not not noticeable when the axle is installed. However there was also a some metal in the oil in front of the inner seal. There does not seem to be metal beind the seal. Should there be any movement of the axle at all ?

Thanks

2. Aug 17, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    The axle shaft and bearing will wiggle in the backing plate even when new. When it is bolted to the axle housing it locks it in place. I learned this when rebuilding an elocker axle. Unless you see obvious movement of the bearing on the shaft, or it does not spin smooth, there isn't an easy way to tell. The best test is to rock the wheel in all directions when everything is together. There shouldn't be much play at all. There will be some in-out play, but not much.

If the metal is just a small amount of fine particles that is normal.

3. Aug 18, 2017 at 1:31 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Did the axle seal blow? You might be in for more fun unless you replace the bearing...

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...akes-funny-sounds.472706/page-2#post-14362925

Check the links below to become an expert on this:

4. Aug 18, 2017 at 5:52 AM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    I would just replace the bearing while you have it apart. Generally the seal blows, soaks the baring in gearlube and then the bearing goes shortly after that.

5. Aug 19, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    JohnsTacoma

JohnsTacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Great. Thanks

6. Aug 19, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    Timmah!

Timmah! Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Hey John, I think you will benefit from the video my buddy Sean and I made for this repair. Watch the video and learn why just replacing the seal is quite often a very very temporary fix if it even fixes it at all. We have videos for ABS and Non-ABS rearends.

ABS
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AVhSDnw2ugo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Non-ABS
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vW25hvODHcs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Products Discussed in

To Top