1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bestop super top on a dclb pics

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Battacoma, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Aug 1, 2017 at 8:12 AM
    Battacoma

Battacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super white dclb SR5 tacoma
    3M wrapped gloss white bumper caps, dipped badges, 4Runner off road wheels, ccg Toyota grill. Led headlights and fog lights. Bestop topper. Caliraised ditch lights
    hey everyone,

Was thinking about getting a bestop supertop for my 3rd gen Dclb. Anyone have any pictures of theirs? Any insight on how it's holding up on the third gen. I know there's an old thread on bestop vs softopper and read through it but doesn't look like much has happened on that thread this year. Was trying to see how it's been holding up on the 3rd gens long beds. 4wheels.com is selling them for just under $600 free shipping and tax free. Thanks everyone

2. Aug 1, 2017 at 8:51 AM
    slowpoke16taco

slowpoke16taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    Stock, but not stock (but stock)
    I have a supertop on my 2016 DCSB. Not a perfect fit because the width of the tailgate spoiler and the height from the bed to top of cab, but I've taken it over 80-mph and it's secure. Don't know if the same is true with the long bed. I like the look with the windows, and with a little modifications I got everything to fit and seal up good.

Here is a thread with the supertop on a 3rd gen DCLB (see post #1482): https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/lets-see-some-softoppers.277644/page-75

Pic of minesupertop driveway.jpg

3. Aug 1, 2017 at 9:43 AM
    Battacoma

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    3M wrapped gloss white bumper caps, dipped badges, 4Runner off road wheels, ccg Toyota grill. Led headlights and fog lights. Bestop topper. Caliraised ditch lights
    Did you ever buy extra clamps for it? I've read about some people having theirs get torn off by some crosswinds. I was considering softoppers but wanted the windows. And bestop is just slightly cheaper. Does yours leak in the corners? What'd you use to seal it?

4. Aug 1, 2017 at 10:02 AM
    Kirk5370

Kirk5370 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport +
    Clazzio, Weatherbeaters, Softopper
    I have a softopper and it works great, goes through the touchless car wash and I've gone 85 mph with it on windy days with no issues. No leaking in the seams yet, but at the corners it does. buy some weather stripping / tent sealer for seams and corners

5. Aug 1, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    killthehippies

killthehippies French Fry Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD OR AC 4x4
    I also have a Softopper. I wanted windows, but something about the way the Bestop fit rubbed me the wrong way. plus I think the vinyl windows will look like garbage sooner than later. I have no corner leaks when it's closed up, I normally drive with the back rolled up. you can crank down on the front straps well enough so the material covers most of the front part of the bed. it'll only leak if I hit it with a pressure washer.

IMG_20170718_143435.jpg

6. Aug 1, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    slowpoke16taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    I did buy new clamps to replace the Bestop ones...https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/bestop-truck-cap.501249/#post-15608896

I modified the tailgate bar by flipping it upside down, and installing this rubber door seal instead: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HL27JRG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It makes the bar sit just behind the tailgate with the bulb seal hanging down (rather than sitting on top of the tailgate). I don't have a picture, but I can upload one later tonight.

For the corners, I just use this no-residue duct tape: https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Tough-1-88-in-x-75-ft-Gray-Duct-Tape/4177119.

9TRDTCO likes this.
  7. Aug 1, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    9TRDTCO

9TRDTCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sub'd for your pics!

8. Aug 1, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    slowpoke16taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    Here are pics of my tailgate bar. I didn't have the supertop on my truck today, so I just threw the rails on for the photos:

TailgateBulbSeal.jpg OnTailgate.jpg RailSide.jpg

9. Aug 1, 2017 at 6:09 PM
    Battacoma

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    Would you say it's pretty easy to take down and store in a garage? I also have a tonnaeu cover that can be removed in 5 minutes. I plan on using the bestop for traveling with my wife and baby while the dogs sit in the bed with our stuff. The rest of the time I would have my tonneau cover on. I was trying to look for used one near me in Texas but it's slim pickings here

10. Aug 1, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    slowpoke16taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    Same here , I just put it on when I hit the trails, then take it off for my everyday commuting. It takes me about 20 mins to put it on, about the same to remove. I hang it on a wall in the garage with the top assembly folded and stack the rails nearby. I roll up the windows around a pool noodle for storage.

One thing I've read about using with dogs is that you have to actually remove and store the windows if you want it the sides open for ventilation. It doesn't roll up like the Softopper.

11. Aug 1, 2017 at 7:23 PM
    Battacoma

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    i really appreciate the help @slowpoke16taco. thanks for the pics and links on how to better secure it. i think i'll go ahead and jump on it. looks like its on back order by a month.

12. Aug 1, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    slowpoke16taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    Glad I could help. :D

13. Aug 6, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    Battacoma

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    Got the topper up. Not bad at all. Had a hard time with the windows tho.

IMG_2819.jpg

14. Aug 6, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    slowpoke16taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    Looks good OP :thumbsup:
    For the windows it helps to zip up just a little bit on one side first, then get the other side in.

15. Aug 7, 2017 at 4:14 AM
    TurdOR89

TurdOR89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD OFF ROAD DOUBLE CAB LONG BED
  16. Aug 7, 2017 at 6:09 AM
    Battacoma

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    Hey whenever you end up putting your topper up again. Can you take a picture of how you did your tailgate. I saw the pictures you loaded before but still don't quite see how you did it. Thanks!!

17. Aug 7, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    slowpoke16taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    Hey @Battacoma, perfect timing. I actually put up my supertop this weekend. Here are some other shots of my tailgate bar. I actually never tried the Bestop bulb seal, but after reading this other thread I thought that this alternate bar position and larger bulb seal would allow a little more margin of error on the bed rail placement (forward or backward) and still get the tailgate to seal nicely (which it does). https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/bestop-supertop-install-help.489246/

My top will be on until at least Wednesday, so let me know if you need other photos. I had to make a cut at the end where it slides into the side rails.
    Bulb Seal Profile 2.jpg

Attached Driver.jpg

18. Aug 7, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    Battacoma

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    @slowpoke16taco those are perfect. The instructions on the bestop are vague and I remembered you said you did something different. This will help me. At the moment I have to close my tailgate before I close the back window. If I close the window first the bulb obstructs my tailgate from closing. So I was trying to see if I did it wrong or if there was an alternative way to install that back window. All your pictures and help have been much appreciated!

Also, did you mount the that brake light bar? Was wiring pretty easy?

19. Aug 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM
    slowpoke16taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayson
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM TRDOR DCSB
    I didn't mount it. Everywhere else that I read, nobody mounted it. The brake light that came with mine couldn't have cost more than $1.99.

As for the tailgate, I attach the bar and zippers first then close the tailgate.

20. Aug 7, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    Battacoma

Member:
    Houston texas
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it looks super cheaply made but in Texas a center brake light is required by our DOT. i have zero back ground in wiring so I'm just going to test my luck and go without one haha.

Products Discussed in

To Top