1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 pics?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 270, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Apr 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM

270 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Dc 4x4
    Anybody got any pics of installing 5100s on their truck, like step by step. I couldn't find one in the search.

2. Apr 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    bbaf2003

bbaf2003 Member

Member:
    Warner Robins, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD Double Cab
  3. Apr 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    bbaf2003

bbaf2003 Member

Member:
    Warner Robins, GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD Double Cab
    Two big pieces of advice. If you dont have a good set of strut compressors, take the shocks to a mechanic to have them done. Make sure the strut saddle is installed correctly. I just installed mine this weekend. got the shop to build the shocks and struts for me noticed today that they put the saddle on wrong and now have to take a day off work and get them to fix it tommorrow.

4. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Here's a link that actually has pictures:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215551

And more advice...

1. You can go to any auto parts store and they'll rent you a strut/spring compressor for free. At Kragen (soon to be O'Reilly here in CA), they have one they rent out. Basically, they sell it to you (it's used) for $49 and then give you a full refund when you bring it back.

2. Someone mentioned removing the sway bar in the link I provided. I couldn't change them without removing it. I did one side at a time. Remove the front bolts on the bracket holding it to the frame and remove it from the suspension at the wheel (the last point where it mounts and slides through). Then you can move it completely out of the way. When putting the sway bar back together, you may need to put a jack under the other side to lift it a little to raise the sway bar back up to reinstall the bolt through at the wheel (only had to do this on the second wheel because it's the new shocks that will push it down further).

I've now done this 3 times and removing the sway bar one-side at a time makes it go really fast. I can change them out and modify the 5100 setting in about an hour (using hand tools only and doing it by myself).

EDIT: I added some more tips to that thread in post #36 on page 3.

5. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Ditto on removing the sway bar
    makes it much easier!

6. Apr 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    I didnt remove the sway bar and it was still easy to do

Products Discussed in

To Top