1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BLACKED OUT Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blacktacoma26, May 23, 2013.

1. May 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    blacktacoma26

blacktacoma26 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    K&N air filter, Dual exhaust, Tinted Windows
    Purchased this 2006 Tacoma about 5 months ago, I havent done anything to it yet, bought as is, but looking to customize it more. Wanting some input on a few things Im looking into, which are styles and brands (specific) for nerf bars and also for some really cool looking headlights that are quality as well. Ive been looking at the Spyder ccfl halo projector lights and like the look, "Spyder PRO-YD-TT05-CCFL-BK" but have read some mixed reviews on them mainly with water leakage, wiring install and light output but some of that i have heard are with the leds and not the ccfl halos. Lastly any other ideas on some things to add to my truck to make it stand out and give it that sick look? thanks for looking

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. May 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    NCtaco914

NCtaco914 MALLIN'CRAWLIN'

Member:
    First Name:
    NEIL
    NORTH CAROLINA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD O/R
    Welcome! And great looking Tacoma! Any specifics on the truck? Lift and what not? Wheels look great also on that truck

3. May 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    scrap rear bumper for black.. and OEM roof rack..

4. May 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    RadRed06

RadRed06 Christ Follower

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Flowood, MS
    Vehicle:
    '12 Pyrite 4x4 OR
    Lifted on 33s
    For starters, paint that rear bumper. Add some armor, lights, do the BHLM with your stock headlights or a projector retrofit. Try to stay away from the eBay headlights for the reasons you mentioned.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. May 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Hawk Tuah ‘24

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    IF you are looking into new headlights I'd say you should do an projector retrofit rather than spend that money on the spyder headlights, too each there own but those look like a pirate dropped all his treasure inside the headlight housing.

And I'd bet you'd get nicer output out of a nicely done projector kit for the money. And the HID's look bad as fuck since you can black out the entire headlight housing!

6. May 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM
    Bagman

Bagman Dental Floss Tycoon

Member:
    Area 51
    Vehicle:
    2023 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Welcome to the club. The truck already looks sick. Take your time and don't rush into any mods until you've spent some time here doing your research. Tons of great info here.

7. May 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    tensecondchevelle

tensecondchevelle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Double Cab
    I also have a black Tacoma.

To get rid of some of the chrome I Plasti-dipped the emblems (I see yours are removed) and also Plasti-dipped the bumper to black it out (after I shot it with clear coat to help preserve the life of the plasti-dip).

I have the same Sypder CCFL lights in my Tacoma, my brother has the Spyders in his F-150. I love them, everyone that sees my truck compliments them (I have had some people say it looks like a spaceship lol). As far as water leakage I haven't had a problem with that at all (the guy that installed them sealed the wires in there pretty well with stuff that he said was similar to dynamat). The light output on them is not AMAZING, but its by no means bad (specially if you live in the city). If I went back in time i would buy the Spyders again.

8. May 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    lowcountrytj

lowcountrytj Third Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Probably at Work
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD SPORT "BLACKOUT"
    Great looking truck!

9. May 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    blacktacoma26

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    thanks, ya def taking my time doing some research since already has a good look to it, think its 3'' lift, has 33''s with 18'' xd series and ill get some more mods on here soon. also looking into eaither scraping for bumper either sanding down chrom ande then painting or buying like base model black bumper, i hate the chrome one it has on it. Yea i like the look of the spyder ccfl halos but so much mixed reviews, and might look into a projector retrofit for headlights.

10. May 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    Nice ride

11. May 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM
    tacojc

tacojc Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TrdOR 4x4
    Sweet truck!! A black rear bumper would finish it out nicely.

12. May 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    somethinboutayota

somethinboutayota Dorthy left Kansas for a reason

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Dodge City, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    Go to get alignment- replace whole front end
    Debadged and painted, plasti-dip bumper , Sock monkey decals, tool box, K&N cold air intake, flag holder/fishing pole holder, Satoshi, magnaflow 40 series, spidertrax wheel spacers, map lights, led reverse lights, led dash assembly lights, roof top LED bar
    Sweet truck! Always wanted a black Tacoma, retrofit the headlights, paint the rear bumper and emblems

13. May 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT Manual
    Yeah, at the very least do the BHLM. It is really pretty easy to do just take your time and read the many threads on here about it. It would look sick on your truck! And I'm like you, I've got to get rid of my chrome bumper. Might be my project for this weekend until I can finally get off my ass and decide on the one that I want.

But you already have a great base to start from considering all that has already been done to your truck. It looks great as it sits right now.

Oh... and welcome! You have come to the right place! (If you like to spend money lol)

14. May 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    nizzmont

nizzmont Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    S.E WA state
    Vehicle:
    2015 doublecab TRD sport
    in progress
    thats a sweet looking truck you picked up grats.also from WA state like me lol.do you know what kind of lift is on it?throw out any specs you have on it as im sure im not the only one interested in it

15. May 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
    ChiveOn

ChiveOn City Slickin' Redneck, I wear a suit with a mullet

Member:
    A BC Boy in Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 6spd
    Plasti-Dipped Emblems, Tonnopro Tri-fold toneau cover (for winter use only), AVS in-channel visors, Ultra Gauge, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Muteki Trail Hog 285/70/17, Pop N' Lock, Bilstein 5100's in the front set at .85 with Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100's in the rear with a Toytec AAL. Toytec drivers side spacers, Toytec diff drop kit. All Pro u-bolt flip kit, TJM Compressor (permanently mounted), Custom rack for the RTT over the bed, Tepui Kukenam RTT, Toyota Bed Mat, Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio, and a lot of gear behind the seats.
    Agreed this would look awesome

Also do the BLHM

Nice truck though!

16. May 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    Greytacoma1

Greytacoma1 Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma dc lb
    Satoshi grill, Plasti derp, Ready lift kit, Wheelers 2 inch aal, Hella 700, Wheather tech floor mats, Blueinstinct armrest cover, sockmonkey bed decal, BHLM, debadge, 35% tint front windows, OEM roof rack, OEM step bar, TRD skid plate, tacomaworld.com decal, stock antenna trimed, gorilla extended lug nuts,diff breather mod, cab mount chop, AVS window visor, spidertrax 1.25 wheel spacers, toytec sway bar relocate, extra d ring mod
    That thing looks like a beast already.

17. May 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    blacktacoma26

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    yea reppin for WA haha, and yes BLACK bumper whether scrapped or plasti-dipped will come eventually lol, its a must. i dont all of specs, 2006 toyota tacoma prerunner, has the off road package, its got a 3'' lift(not sure on what kind), with 33's and 18'' xd series, 15% tint all round, dual exhaust w/ two 4" pipes coming out the back, completely debadged, painted black trd grill, new grill inserts getting installed this weekend!, will post a pic.

18. May 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    blacktacoma26

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Im also though not that familiar with exactly what, or how to go about looking into retrofitting headlights?

19. May 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    aubi1414

aubi1414 War Eagle!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport Blue Ribbon Metallic
    LED Dome, LED Map, LED License Plate Bulbs, , Konig SixShooters Matte Black, Toyo Open Country ATII's 285 70 17, Satoshi, Bilstein 5100s (set to 0), 885s, LR UCA's, Icon RR 2.0 +2, All Pro Standard 3" Leaf Pack, All Pro Flip Kit, Sway Bar Relocate, Exhaust Chop, Antenna X 14", Debadged, Tint, Matt123 Black TRD Skid, Black Weathertech Mats
    Smoked LED taillights would look great as well along w/ smoked fog light lenses. Also, could buy a smoked or blacked out 3rd taillight LED. Maybe replace all the inside lights dome, map lights with LEDs along with license plate LED lights. Take pics of the suspension in the front and rear and we can help you figure out what kind of lift you have (pics of front shocks top and bottom along with pics where your leaf springs are in the rear and the shocks) Add some weathertech floor mats, front plate bumper, rear plate bumper, NO nerf bars like me get some sliders!! Much sicker look :)

Also, get rid of the factory antenna go with a 14" billet AntennaX http://www.antennax.com/p-2907-black-billet-14-inch-antenna-1995-thru-2013-toyota-tacoma.aspx .

Also, grab a TRD stamped black skid plate for the front from Matt123: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/228625-fs-10g-steel-skid-plate.html

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  20. May 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice looking rig! There used to be a couple members on here that would do a retrofit for you but it isnt cheap but I think they are def worth it!! I love mine!! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top