1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bogging, missing, and backfire on acceleration

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Metallikatz3, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jul 24, 2017 at 5:25 AM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Last night i was making a left turn from a traffic light.

I was rolling at about 2 or 3mph and then slowly pushed on thr gas to pull away and make the turn. As I pushed the pedal the rpms slowly rose but then they flatlined at about 1200rpm and the truck had a really bad misfire and I heard a pop from the exhaust (I'm calling this a backfire). The engine wouldn't rev any higher at all now...

I backed off the gas totally, waited half a second and then hit the pedal again and everything was normal. I tired to replicate this but couldn't.

I have a 2017 with an auto trans, not part of the CPS recall vin range. Running 91 octane this tank too.

Anyone ever experience something similar..? I have my 10k Service on Wednesday so they'll definitely be hearing about this then too

2. Jul 24, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    rewted

rewted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Off-Road Double Cab Short Bed
    Warn Zeon 10-S, BFG KO2 265/75/16, Bakflip MX4, Split Dual Battery System, TRD Pro Grille, Tokonsha P3 Brake Controller, ScanGauge II
    Did tires slip at all? Almost sounds like traction control doing its job.

Hank Heel likes this.
  3. Jul 24, 2017 at 6:10 AM
    Scooby24

Scooby24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Ignition cut is what you experienced, as mentioned likely due to traction control. If there was truly no slippage it may be an ABS sensor problem, though I suspect that's not the case.

4. Jul 24, 2017 at 6:42 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    Interesting - i've broken traction before and this felt totally different.

I'm going to try the zero point calibration tonight just for peace of mind to see if that makes a difference.

5. Jul 24, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    Garrett75x

Garrett75x Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR 4x4 JBL P&T
    Pro Grille, Shmellfab rock sliders, Carhartt seat covers
    I had something similar happen when I went to pick up my truck.

It happened literally pulling out of the dealership on the test drive, truck had 2 miles on it

Never happened again after that

6. Jul 24, 2017 at 7:39 AM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    It's like driving an old shitty carbureted Volkswagen sometimes. When I go to turn out into traffic it will often stutter or stumble. Really makes you pucker.

tcjacado and scottalot like this.
  7. Jul 24, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    OP, go have it checked out, That is not the norm. If you had a problem, it should throw a code. It could be traction control though, not a bad sensor because it would give you lights on the dash.

8. Jul 24, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    There are plenty of people who have experienced misfires and stumbling in this truck. I'd say it's pretty common. There are entire threads dedicated to discussing it on this forum.

9. Jul 24, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
  10. Jul 24, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Define "plenty." There are 300K units out there.

11. Jul 24, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
  12. Jul 24, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    That is from this forum. We both know that forum numbers differ from real world numbers. You say plenty. 1% of sales would be 3,000 Tacomas. Is 1% plenty? Pretty sure that you can total up ALL of 3rd gen complaints from this forum and not get 3,000 unique vehicles.

This place is just a small yet vocal microcosm of the real world. Yes, some people have problems with their truck as evidenced by the threads you so thoughtfully posted. I contend that, in the real world, pretty much 99% of Tacoma owners have no issues.

Find some real world numbers man. Not forum numbers. Not one dealer numbers. Real across the board numbers. When you do, I'll listen.

SeanDub likes this.
  13. Jul 24, 2017 at 9:23 AM
    bshammer0

bshammer0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Prinsu, TruckCovers USA, Coverking, OVTuned
    You won't find real-world numbers, the best one can hope for is a statically relevant sample size and I'd say TW (let's assume 2,000 are unique) would fit the bill for most analysis. But even most dealers will admit that "something was amiss" with the first 2 years of the 3rd gen production. This isn't about a 3rd gen bash or anything of the sort for me - I actually love my truck, but I HATE that I had to spend countless hours fixing stuff that wasn't done properly off assembly. Generally when 2 POVs are presented, the truth is somewhere in the middle. I'm sure there are a lot of Taco's out there that run flawless-ish. From people I'm close to 1 out of 4 had very little issues (and the 1 did have issues with rattling, control arms, etc.,). You can't completely ignore the patterns, nor dismiss someone who offered up relevant posts to the OPs concern to help him understand potential root causes.

That's what's great about TW - if you're having an issue, likely someone else has, and perhaps even has a fix. If I hadn't had folks willing to help educate me I would have sold my harsh idling, sulphur smelling, clunking, rattling, 13 mpg, misfiring, hard to steer truck. Most of which have been completely solved by feedback on here.

14. Jul 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    I totally agree with your post with one caveat: An enthusiast's forum is NOT a standard cross section of typical owners. There are over 300K 3rd gen Tacomas running around. Let's say there are 3K unique 3rd gen forum members (probably not that many but let's keep with round numbers) so that would be 1%. Out of that 1%, most are into modding their vehicles in some way. That takes them out of the "normal" owners group right there.
    A forum such as this is where you can come to learn about mods, but also problems some owners have and that's great... I myself enjoy reading about them.

My whole point is when some member comes here and continuously talks about their problem (and I'm sure they have one or many) and somehow that morphs and becomes the "norm" for the entire product. It's not. Not even close. Then they use words like "plenty" or "many" or "most" as adjectives and pretty soon people believe that crap. They have no real numbers to back up their claims and when confronted, resort to using what they read on Tacoma World, which is meaningless compared to the total vehicle population. The only thing that is worse is the people who assume that, because they have a problem, everyone else must have that problem too.

Most normal people who are not enthusiasts and don't have any problems simply don't post about it on the internet. Yes, I know its hard to believe but some people just drive their trucks lol.

Flytmech, SeanDub, Sedyn and 2 others like this.
  15. Jul 24, 2017 at 10:07 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    Plenty...as in enough to do a search and see if anyone had similar experience per the OP's request.
    But you just go on with your bad self...

speedtre, smitty99 and GPsevinSixx like this.
  16. Jul 24, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    One thing strikes me here though. Do you normally run 91 in the truck? I only ask b/c of my own personal experiences prior to replacing my crankshaft sensor which got measurably worse after I ran premium for awhile. You may be in good shape for the sensor depending on your build date, but from my own personal experience and several of others on here, replacing the sensor on non-recalled trucks has helped with a bevy of problems. Toyota has definitely not yet fully vetted the extent of vehicles that should have been recalled for that sensor....

speedtre and tcjacado like this.
  17. Jul 24, 2017 at 10:33 AM
    Metallikatz3

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    No, I normally run 88 but am getting ready to install a new tune so this is my first tank of 91.

My truck falls in the date range of the effected trucks I believe (my build date is Oct 2016) but according to the VIN look-up I'm not part of the campaign. I'm definitely going to raise this point with the dealer this week.

18. Jul 24, 2017 at 10:45 AM
    Sedyn

Sedyn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vancouver, BC / Sumas, WA
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Pro, Cement.
    If I was you, I'd replace it myself. Keep the receipt. If your VIN gets added seek a refund.

Not ideal but neither is getting T-boned.

scottalot likes this.
  19. Jul 24, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    bshammer0

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Agree with the above. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some connection between your switch in fuel octane (and inability of the ECU to compensate properly with accurate sensor data). While mine didn't backfire necessarily, it did "flatline" and literally FELT (in the steering column, floorboard, etc.,) like it was going to drop the engine on the ground in smoking flames. I know that's dramatic but suffice to say it wasn't good and got worse with premium.

If you are within the date range, and aren't on the recall list (or even if you are) the dealer won't do anything for you most likely. Word still is "we don't have direction / parts from Toyota" to address the recall yet. And if you're not even on the list, you'll be dismissed - they'll pull techstream data, see no codes, send you on your way if you have any experience like mine were.

You can search the DIY CPS thread, but I did this on a whim thinking it wouldn't do me any good since I wasn't on the recall list. Damn grateful for this whim...

Edit: And if I had just spent $700+ on a tune and there was a chance that a $90 part could screw up my sensor data on which the tune will be built... no brainer

speedtre and over60 like this.
  20. Jul 24, 2017 at 11:30 AM
    SRQ_TACO16

SRQ_TACO16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sarasota, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    3rd gen SR5 wheels
    I try to stay out of the discussion of issues on this forum as I neither hate nor love this truck. There are some issues most of mine I can live with, or don't bother me. However the hesitation while pulling out on right turns is something I can't live with.

I can manage wheel spin in a corner, what I can't manage is a computer deciding what it thinks is correct or protecting me or whatever. The amount of times it just decides no I don't think I want to move is ridiculous. Haven't experienced a backfire other than on start up which I guess is "normal" for 2.7s. The best way I can describe it is it feels like my 1963 Nova losing fuel because of a carb. It just dies right when you need the power then all the sudden it kicks in and still nothing. Sometimes I can make a right turn spinning tire or tires, sometimes I can make a normal right turn into traffic, and other times it tries to get me hit. I just wish it would make up its mind...

HutchJ, speedtre, GPsevinSixx and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top