1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bosch Spark Plugs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tex-Tac, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Aug 15, 2017 at 11:20 AM
    Tex-Tac

Tex-Tac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 PreRunner SR5 Extended Double Cab Desert Sand Mica
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    Has anyone ever tried one of the following Bosch Spark Plugs:https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto

Double Iridium Spark Plugs (P/N# 9613)

or

Double Platinum Spark Plugs (P/N# 8122)

or

Platinum Spark Plugs (P/N# 6731)

If so, your experiences, opinions and or reviews about them and usage?

Did you encounter any engine problems, hesitation, misfires, etc.?

Would you use them again or stick with OEM spark plugs?

Currently all that I've ever used are OEM spark plugs (and more than likely will continue) but am just curious to know if others here have used Bosch Spark Plugs before.

If the results are better than OEM then I just might be willing to try them out.

Spark Plugs
    [​IMG]
    Platinum Spark Plugs
    Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs are engineered for up to 2X longer service life.*

Restrictions: Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset

Part Number:6731

View Product

[​IMG]
    Double Platinum Spark Plugs
    Bosch Double Platinum Spark Plugs are engineered for up to 3X longer service life.*

Restrictions: Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset, Original equipment is nickel

Part Number:8122

View Product

[​IMG]
    Double Iridium Spark Plugs
    Bosch Double Iridium Spark Plugs are engineered to deliver both high performance and long life, representing the best of OE spark plug technology. The ultra-fine wire design and laser welded tapered ground electrode deliver optimum performance, while the iridium center electrode and ground electrode help it to go the distance. Unlock the performance in your engine with Bosch Double Iridium Spark Plugs.

Restrictions: Do Not Gap, Gap is Preset

Part Number:9613

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Aug 15, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    timothom

timothom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Access cab sr5
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money unless you have a supercharger or other mod that makes changing plugs difficult. Buy the cheap-ass Densos and change every 30k. Way better than running expensive plugs for 100k.

UBYBC, Partzguy and boogie3478 like this.
  3. Aug 15, 2017 at 11:44 AM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    OEM plugs are best.

Blockhead, Norton, UBYBC and 3 others like this.
  4. Aug 15, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    Tex-Tac

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Installed Overhead Compass and Temperature Display along with outside temperature sensor and wiring; LED lights reverse backup; LED license plate lights; Added GTA Bluetooth Audio kit to stock radio for iphone audio; Spare tire steel braided air hose extension connection to rear bumper; Installed new headlights along with new bulbs PIAA H4 XTreme and for fog lights PIAA H10 XTreme bulbs. Installed new hood with "hood-scoop". Installed Predator Side Steps. Replaced front chrome grill with customized color matched (Desert Sand Mica) grill with added TOYOTA lettering (also in matched color), installed and secured tailgate anti-theft devices. Also installed a new external TPMS monitor for all 4 tires.
    I change out the spark plugs on my 2008 Tacoma once every year, regardless of what the mileage is on my odometer and no super nothing just the plane engine.

I don't mind changing out the spark plugs. Yea I know all about the driver side hassel getting to them, replacing them, etc.

Like I stated before, have always used OEM spark plugs but was considering Bosch after reading about them and just wanted to know from others here if anyone had or has tried them and get their opinions, that's all.

BradleyS likes this.
  5. Aug 15, 2017 at 12:25 PM
    Tex-Tac

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    timothom, boogie3478 and Rambo54 like this.
  6. Aug 15, 2017 at 12:41 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Stick with OEM Denso plugs every 30k for the 1GR. /thread.

7. Aug 15, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    JoefromPTC

JoefromPTC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Atlanta Georgia metro
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4 6MT
    OEM x2

8. Aug 15, 2017 at 1:41 PM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    All the mods
    parsonsjr likes this.
  9. Aug 15, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    timothom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood DMX7705S PrecisionPower Phantom 900.4 Alpine type-r 8" Image Dyanmics CXS64.2
    Can't beat that 'fresh plug' feeling after you change them out either.

10. Aug 15, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    I use Bosch in my old German gas car. They do well.

Asian cars do best on Denso or NGK.

Just my opinion.

Pabloeeto, JoefromPTC and Tex-Tac[OP] like this.
  11. Aug 15, 2017 at 6:40 PM
    timothom

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I put a Bosch plug in the Briggs & Scrapiron engine on my lawn mower and it starts on the first pull!

12. Aug 15, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Aug 15, 2017 at 6:43 PM
    fxntime

fxntime Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma off road TRD and 2014 FJC
    Every plug I have had that failed early on was a Bosch. I'm not impressed with their quality.

NGK or Denso.

14. Aug 15, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
  15. Aug 15, 2017 at 9:37 PM
    Diablo169

Diablo169 ROKRAPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    99’ Bro-Coma’s Revenge 3RZ 345k+
    Stock
    No one ever gained any power through a tuneup. Stick with factory plugs. The fancy ones can actually hurt performance.

16. Aug 15, 2017 at 10:27 PM
    cliffyk

cliffyk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cliff
    Saint Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 TRD Sport 145k miles
    You don't need "double" anything in the 4.0, or any modern engine using a coil-on-plug (COP) ignition system. They were developed as universal replacements for OEM plugs used in the wasted spark systems that replaced distributors many years back.

When a DC electrical arc occurs some molecules of the negative electrode are carried by the electron flow¹ from the negative tip electrode and deposited onto the positive side electrode; eroding the negative tip. In a wasted spark system one plug fires with a conventional (tip negative to side electrode positive as in an old coil/distributor Kettering system) current flow, and the other fires with a reversed polarity (side electrode negative to tip posive) as shown below:
    [​IMG]

With the "negative firing" plug the tip is eroded and deposited on the side electrode, so you want the tip to be made of a material more resistant to erosion; nickel-chrome alloy in conventional so-called "copper" plugs, platinum or iridium in precious metal electrode plugs.

However on the "positive firing" plug electrons (and some of the electrode) flow from the side electrode to the tip--this requires that the side electrode be made of (or tipped with) an erosion resistant material.

So what manufacturers did, to save 15¢ or 20¢ per plug was to specify half of the OEM plugs with alloy or precious metal tips, and half with alloy/precious metal side electrodes. Ford used a wasted spark ignition on the early 4.6 L engines in Mustang and indicated such in the service manual when plugs were reused (see below). The PG plugs have Platinum Ground (side) electrodes only, the plain ol' P plugs were Platinum tip only:

[​IMG]

As these OEM plugs were not intended to ever be available as repair parts, plug makers produced the "double" whatever plugs as universal replacements. The marketing departments loved this and immediately began touting "double" plugs as being somehow superior to plain ol' single whatever plugs--which they are in wasted spark system, however in a COP or old coil/distributor system they offer no advantage except to make plug makers richer.

Shorty story, they are not needed in any contemporary COP based ignition systems. And getting to the OP's original question, I installed Autolite AP5325 single platinum ($3.09 each from Autozone) plugs in my '09 a couple days after I got it last October, and 4000 miles ago. They'll be good for at least 60k miles which at my 6k miles/year means I will probably never have to change them.

My Honda Silver Wing 600 calls for conventional plugs to be changed each 12k miles, I installed Autolite iridiums in that 21k miles ago and it starts and runs like a champ.

Oh, forgot to add that I am not a big fan of Bosch spark plugs--to much hyperbole in their marketing for me...

---------------------------------
    ¹ - Volta got it wrong when he identified "positive" and "negative". In fact it is the negative pole that has a surplus of electrons and the positive pole which has an electron deficit. DC electrons flow from the negative to the positive pole, not 'tother way around as he thought.

Norton and Stemmy like this.
  17. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:11 AM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    I really don't think it matters. People's perception of adverse effects using Bosch or other brands is mostly subjective and anecdotal in my opinion. The non-Japanese manufacturers would not list them for a given engine if they hadn't test them for proper fit and function. I used to put NGK's in my dad's 1974 Dogde van with a 360 V8 and they ran no different than Autolites or Champions. Why does Toyota recommend NGK or Denso plugs? Maybe, cause they own part of both companies? That may also explain why Toyota uses both brands. I use NGK and Denso Iridiums primarily because they are more affordable. I currently have NGK Iridiums in my Tacoma - they happen to be the same part # that came in the wife's Lexus. Coming up to 90K on them and they work fine - cleaned and re-gapped (against NGK's recommendation, I might add) them at 80K.

cliffyk likes this.
  18. Aug 16, 2017 at 4:18 AM
    jbrnigan

jbrnigan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport, 4X4, 4.0L, Auto - Access Cab
    +1

19. Aug 16, 2017 at 7:59 AM
    Pork Chopper

Pork Chopper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4
    I've heard many horror stories about Bosch.

I only use the Denso Iridium in my Tacoma simply because they last longer and I don't have to change the plugs as much. Pretty much the same reason I run synthetic oil, less work that I have to do, more time to spend with the family. I'd have to change the coppers every 2-3 years or the Iridiums every 6-8 years. It's all personal preference, initial cost is higher but almost evens out through the life of the part.

20. Aug 16, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    PCTaco

PCTaco 36 hour Build

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    New Columbia, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 Access Cab TRD Offroad RIP '13
    Working on it
    I know everyone on TW swears by changing coppers every 30k miles, but I don't have the time and drive way too much to be doing plugs every damn year.

I also know that people on TW swear that their motor runs poorly on platinum or iridium plugs. I'm pretty sure their butt dyno is looking for something to complain about.

I run NGK Laser Iridiums, and while true that there's no performance increase the increased service life is helpful.

PackCon likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top