1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Broken Clutch Spring; Intriguing...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeverich, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Dec 16, 2015 at 3:00 PM
    jeverich

jeverich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    Some of you may remember my "HELP" thread that I started about 6 weeks ago while I was in Moab with another member:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/please-help.400780/#post-11138775

Just returned from a trip to Europe, and finally have the time to dig into the truck in an effort to try and diagnose and fix what happened.

Here's what I found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm theorizing that some of the spring/retainer dropped in between the clutch and the pressure plate; rendering the clutch inoperable. Makes sense - due to the fact any clutch action was non-existent... Had to limp off Poison Spider/Golden Spike with the truck in 4Low; ended up driving all 1,000 plus miles in FWD (Crumpled rear drive shaft) using the syncros. It was an interesting drive.

Not too sure about my solution at this point. Stock AISIN clutch had this spring failure at 156K miles. Definitely not replacing it with a LUK. Leaning towards URD stage 2.

Recommendations?

2. Dec 16, 2015 at 3:08 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Wow, we have a tough transmission!! 1000 miles without using the clutch :eek:. Sorry, i havent replaced the clutch yet, can't help in that dept. Subbed for outcome since I'll be replacing it within the next couple of years.

3. Dec 16, 2015 at 4:44 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Not uncommon dumping the clutch can cause it. Yes when they come out it generally binds the disk to the clutch cover then you can't get it into gear with the engine running. They reduce the shock of engaging
    the clutch, you hav'nt lived until you have driven some thing with out the springs.

4. Dec 16, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    gonathan85

gonathan85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 SR5 V6 Tacoma
    As mentioned, the spring is part of the engagement-dampening hub on the pressure plate / disc assembly. Engagement under load will cause wear/failure over time or in one major event. Now is a good time for an upgrade!

5. Dec 17, 2015 at 4:53 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    They all move other wise it would be all most impossible to drive around town. They do make heavy duty stuff (race,off road etc.) with greater clamping force bigger reaction springs (or in extreme cases none) and so on it depends on what you intend to do with it with all that stuff you will loose some of the daily driver comfort and probably put more stress on the drive line with competition stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top