1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a 2000 Tacoma, what do I need to watch out for?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by scooby, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:14 AM
    scooby

scooby [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm looking at a 2000 SR5 Xtracab V6 4x4 5-speed with 200,000 miles on it. It looks clean but I'm wondering what I need to watch for. I know I need to check the frame for rust, but other than that can you all suggest potential problems that I can look for before I buy? Thanks.

2. Feb 27, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
  3. Feb 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    lucky73

lucky73 Limited

Member:
    everything if its 200k miles

4. Feb 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    The Driver

The Driver Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
  5. Feb 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Probably covered in the buyers guide, but thought I'd mention.

The usual check the gearbox for any funny noises, grinding, popping out of gear (run it in a gear, let off the accel pedal and see if it pops out of gear on the over run) make sure it shifts smooth.

Check the 4wd operation.

Does the engine idle smooth or does idle seem to hunt. Could just be dirty idle control, maf, throttle body etc., but having to replace any can add up. A definite negotiating point.

Look it over good for leaks.

Look at the suspension and look at the front framework for any signs of damage.

Check the tyres for even wear. If uneven, cupped etc. then could have alignment issue, need new struts or have bent suspension pieces.

Check the spare holds air too.

Owner have any documentation for service work done. Timing belt and water pump are the big ones. If you don't do the job yourself then (costs vary around the country and from dealer to dealer I've found) the local dealers here quoted me $600 for doing the pump and belt. That does not include if it needs any of the seals or pulleys. Another negotiating point.

Look for general upkeep. Talk to the owner and see what their concept of maintenance is. I bring this up as I've looked at numerous cars and the owners concept of a rebuilt engine was they put some chrome pieces on it and bolted on an induction system.

Look carefully at any modifications on it. Have they been well done and fully done. If it has a lift and huge tyres, has the owner done anything gearing wise if needed or anything to get the accuracy of the speedo corrected (will effect odometer also).

Look for any hacked messy wiring jobs done to the truck to add bits on. This may cause issues down the road if not done right.

One thing I always do is get an Autocheck on one I'm looking at buying. This saved my bacon as I was about to put an offer in on a green 99 PreRunner until I pulled the Autocheck and found smog entries up to 168,000 miles and the trucks odo magically only had 115k on it when I was looking at it. The kicker was at the bottom of the list was an active stolen report on it!

One other thing I do is either go to mytoyota.com and punch in the vin like I own it (you can remove later) to see what dealer services have been done or I just call the local service department, give them the vin and explain "I'm looking at buying it and could they tell me what work they show has been done on it". The service writer can't give out any details of ownership, but can give out any Toyota service work or recalls that have been done. I find the mytoyota site a bit clunky lately and difficult to navigate so the service writer direction might be easier.

This saved me too as I called on one to the dealer and found that it had been in and had some work done, but they had found other EXPENSIVE items needed doing on the truck that the owner delined to have done. This was the day before I went over and looked at the truck to buy it and the owner made it sound all rosey and it needed nothing.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Oh, probably already mentioned in various guides, but helps to have another person who is knows about cars there looking at it with you. AND BRING A FLASHLIGHT to see in and under the vehicle with. They may see something you miss and can at least be a sounding board when deciding on a truck or between trucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top