1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cam gears for V6. Add power AND mpg

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by mightytacoman, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Jul 17, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman [OP] Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    This should work for any vehicle with the 1gr-fe engine
    2005-2015 Tacoma.
    2007-2009 FJ Cruiser
    2003-2009 4Runner V6
    2005-2010 Tundra V6

While I can't guarantee a return to stock feel, It should feel more peppy after

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Torspd likes this.
  2. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    All other aspects of the tune and truck remain unchanged except for the cam gears.

Stock cam gears knock values
    PreCam.jpg

Cam gears with 3° retard.
    PostCam.jpg

It should be noted that the apparent knock activity observed is happening at the very high end of the Knock Correct Learn value meaning the truck is in it's most advanced state. Additionaly, the "standard" value for Knock Feedback is -3.0.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  3. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    Tacolover07

Tacolover07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Leveling kit, 33’s, new headlamps,
    So in essence this upgrade changes the timing? Just making sure

4. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:36 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Yes it allows for more timing by increasing the knock threshold. Your truck will learn this new timing and run better with it but tuning for it will allow for even better results. Just like an air intake can help without a tune, it will help more with a tune.

Torspd likes this.
  5. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Got it. So to see better mpg’s the CAI is a must. I’ll pm you later this evening. Thanks for your time

6. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:46 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    A CAI is not a must. The gears should allow for improved mileage without any other modifications.

7. Jul 17, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    shit..... i should of never poked my head in this thread.

Now you have me pondering @mightytacoman

8. Jul 17, 2019 at 2:20 PM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Question...I watched the video you posted but the gear that was installed appeared to only have one slit cut out of it and the ones you have listed have two, so I’m confused. I would just be buying yours as opposed to sending mine out and waiting. Also I’m a veteran and so that’s an awesome deal!

9. Jul 17, 2019 at 2:33 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    The video is from another company. I have it there for a video representation of the install which is essentially the same as my gears. The gear in the video has one keyway that is already cut to the right amount of timing so it didn't need a second keyway. If you look over the first post again, the pics under the video cover the second keyway and how to orient which keyway I cut and which way is front. (away from the engine and towards radiator) I would be happy to give you veteran discount :oldglory:

Torspd likes this.
  10. Jul 18, 2019 at 10:29 AM
    DiamondW

DiamondW Stockblocker

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Gonzales Co. TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Tundra, ‘14 GX460
    I finally got some cruise time in with mine today. Truck feels great, I might have to even remap the throttle to be lighter down low if I want to keep gravel on my driveway lol. I’ll be running more data logs this evening but overall I’m very pleased! The quest for 250+ to the ground is almost complete.

BassAckwards and Slashaar like this.
  11. Jul 18, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    How long did it take you to do this from start to finish and did you have to buy new gaskets ?

12. Jul 18, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Might think about it once the drivetrain warranty is up.

13. Jul 18, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    DiamondW

DiamondW Stockblocker

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Gonzales Co. TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Tundra, ‘14 GX460
    I did buy new cam cover gaskets, and used them but I don’t think they were absolutely necessary. I also bought intake manifold gaskets just in case , but didn’t need them. Total time was about 4 hours, really taking my time and my cam bolts were extremely tight. It would go much faster now that I’m familiar with it.

b2200srunnin, Slashaar and jojotoo like this.
  14. Jul 18, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Glad to of helped buddy and thank you for the review!

DiamondW[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 18, 2019 at 8:01 PM
    93yotasr5

93yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    I’m super curious to see what those gears can do on an otherwise stock motor with a tune. I fully believe it does add power and I will most likely get some once my warranty is up but want to see what they can do on paper.

16. Jul 18, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Who provides the tunes anyway?

17. Jul 18, 2019 at 11:39 PM
    SUMOTNK

SUMOTNK Pavement Pounder / Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    NorCal/South Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Looks like a Gen2.5 TRD Sport, but really an '08 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharged / OTT Tuned
  18. Jul 19, 2019 at 4:31 AM
    Tacolover07

Member:
    First Name:
    German
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB sport
    Sweet thanks

19. Jul 19, 2019 at 4:33 AM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Justin its currently away for personal reasons.. In his absence, I have offered to step up and help with tuning needs

DiamondW likes this.
  20. Jul 26, 2019 at 12:52 PM
    DiamondW

DiamondW Stockblocker

Member:
    First Name:
    Kent
    Gonzales Co. TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Tundra, ‘14 GX460
    Well, I now have plenty of seat time with my gears. I’m consistently over 20mpg when driving like a sane person and don’t have the trailer. Speaking of trailer, I did 600 miles with my camper last weekend and the truck performed beautifully. Running 65 I averaged 15mpg, not bad at all! If you are on the fence, do it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
To Top