1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Camping Question..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by eddyb22, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    eddyb22

eddyb22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I go party and camp about every weekend with my buddies.. We always sleep in our trucks or in the bed of them but it is now getting into the 20's and lower at night so im tired of freezing my balls off..

Anyone have any good tips of sleeping in a access cab?

Or any cool camping gear stuff that you recommend?

Cool tents or camping etc for the tacoma?

THANKS!

2. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
  3. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    If you are going to sleep in the bed you will need to insulate between you and the cold bed. Air circulates under the truck all night.

4. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Dammit. Beat me to it.

I disagree on the cerveza, though. Vodka. Millions of Russians (and Poles and Czechs) can't be wrong!

Definitely get a better sleeping bag. Whatever it routinely gets down to get a bag at least 10 degrees warmer. (I.e. -- if it usually gets to 30 degrees where you camp, get a 20 degree bag)

A good sleeping pad will help a lot, too. If you get one with an R rating of 7 or higher, it will help keep your body heat from escaping out into the frame of your truck.

A good cheap-ish trick too is to cover your bed with a tarp or tonneau cover, and close the bed at night. A little claustrophobic, perhaps, but you'll trap in body heat and warm the bed area. If you want to get creative, line the bottom of the tarp/tonneau with a space blanket. The material will reflect heat back down toward you.

5. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access 4x4 2.7L manual SR5
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    This is how I rig my Taco for camping :
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/...012_HM_Steelheader_spotted_on.html#Post713119
    I also use a Black Cat tent heater inside the cap and a Mr Heater/Cooker type infra red heater under the tarp.
    I'll fire the big infra red at night and in the morning to take the edge off.
    Instant campfire :p
    Be sure to have proper ventilation with these or you will not wake up!

I bought a bigger tarp with the intention of taking it down to the ground for better cold weather performance.
    The new size is 12 x 20, white, heavy duty. It takes minimum 18' to go over the cap and reach the ground. Then 12' will be enough to extend away from the rig.

Gotta seal under the tailgate and come up with a door system.

Also have a full length Therm-a-Rest inflatable sleeping pad and a -15 rated REI down sleeping bag.

Can't imagine trying to sleep in the cab.

6. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    07NavyTaco

07NavyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, short bed, 4x4, bilstein 5100s
    billy 5100s @ 1.75, black grill and lower valence, tinted windows
    JFLAN, you think there's a good way to do that from the cab of the truck? do like an "A" frame from the cab out pass the tailgate?

i'm gonna have to look into that. makes for a very cheap tent in the summer. :)

7. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    SnugTop SuperSport Sportsman keyless cap Weathertech mats - OEM skidplate - OEM hitch
    You could use my system and have more room than an a-frame. You would just come off the back of the cab.
    The adjustable Eureka poles make it happen along with a bunch of shock cords (bungees)

The key is to make it tight so it sheds water and resists the wind.

8. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    It's simple really.
    Tent to kill the breeze.

Good sleeping pad to insulate below.

Warm sleeping bag.

Sleep in your clothes. If it's cold, you'll be more comfortable in high-tech-fabric long johns, even in the day.

Wear a stocking cap.

9. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Moving all the time
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD-OR
    Tinted windows, Plasti-dipped emblems (black), white 2011 grill w plasti derped white toyota emblem, Weathertech dontfits; Clarion HU, Hertz-165 Coax, Alpine 500w mono to 8" JL 3w3, Wet Okeles, CBI sliders, Eibach/5100's @0.85 in front, Dakar leaves and OME shocks in rear, Leer topper.
    Good quality sleeping pad, sleeping bag and tent.

and as far as sleeping in your clothes like bjmoose said... never heard that before, usually recommended NOT to sleep in your clothes so your body heat warms up the bag better. In my experience, clothes No; long johns yes.

10. Dec 15, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    Although I haven't tried it yet, I was at Home Depot last week and saw the pink foam insulation and thought, hey I could sleep on that in the back of my truck, It'd be soft and comfy. I also eyed the silver solar radiant barriers and thought that would be good under a tent or sleeping bag

11. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    07NavyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:

i was taught in survival training that you do NOT sleep in your cloths. we did wear the long johns and we were in temps and weather that our rubber mats were frozen to the ground the next morning. :cool:

12. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    Don't know WTF the pink foam is, just make sure it's not the pink fiberglas. That could get itchy :p

You probably mean what's called "rigid foam insulation"...
    That would work but it's overkill and bulky to stow. My Thermarest inflatable insulates me fine over the bed. Trapped air is the insulator for all this stuff.

13. Dec 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    jflan

jflan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    I would agree with that.
    If you have the right gear, you're in your skivvies and tee shirt.
    If you have to wear your clothes, your bag is not up to the task.
    Sometimes I throw the bag open in the middle of the night to cool off.

I need a good rectangular bag....way tired of the confining mummy style.

14. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    07NavyTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North Chicago
    Vehicle:
    I need a good sleeping bag period.:eek:

15. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Buy a warm sleeping bag. The wife and I just bought North Face 15 and 20 degree bags and they are by far the best sleeping bags we have ever owned.

16. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    Fodder4U

Fodder4U Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    The Colony, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Stock for now.
    I have 2 sleeping bags I use. One is for warmer weather and the other is rated for 30 degrees. When it is really cold (20 degrees or lower) I slip the warm weather bag into the cold one and am good to go even on a cot. Also it is best to change into a fresh dry shirt and sleep pants before getting into bed and fresh socks if you prefer to wear them.

17. Dec 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Pull a camper and turn on the heat.

18. Dec 15, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    This.

I can see the added benefit of wearing lightweight synthetics or wool to wick moisture and create baffles to trap air, but today's sleeping bags are designed so well to trap heat that you shouldn't need clothing.

I usually wear a Dri-Fit or something similar just to keep the Man Funk from the inside of my bag, and I put my socks and possibly a water bottle down by my feet to keep them from freezing overnight.

If you have to wear layers of clothing to bed, your bag isn't warm enough.

19. Dec 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    Already been a lot of good advice on this thread.

I've been winter camping for over 20 years now.

A good sleeping bag cannot be beat and makes all the difference between just surviving and camping.

Your body exudes vapor all the time and that can and does collect inside the sleeping bag insulation. A good bag will have a breathable outer layer to let that moisture pass through and prevent wind/air from coming through the bag and sucking the heat away. Really good bags will have a breathable/waterproof outer layer.

A tent helps keep wind off you and from sucking the heat from your sleeping bag if your bag does not have a good outer layer.

Down bags are warmer, lighter and pack smaller but are more expensive than synthetic bags. If you go down make sure it's a water-proof bag because any wetness will kill the insulating properties of down and it will be a very cold night.

A good sleeping pad helps insulate under the bag where your body weight crushes down the insulation. A MUST with down bags.

NEVER sleep in your clothes. Your clothes will become saturated with the vapor coming off your body and will be uncomfortable. NEVER sleep in cotton. Wicking thermal underwear or naked is best. Yes, I said naked. It's hard to believe but sleeping naked will be warmer than with clothes and be more comfortable. I did not believe it either when I first heard this suggested to me over a decade ago and well, it's true. :)

If you are in extreme cold get an inner bag liner to keep the moisture from your body from leeching into the bag insulation from the inside. They are not the most comfortable but if your bag becomes saturated with moisture from your body it will not insulate properly.

Don't cheap out on a sleeping bag. Buy the best you can afford.

Lost Humanity suggested going with a rating 10 degrees less than your norm, that's a really good idea. I think bag ratings are a little optimistic. I have a -5 degree bag and at 5 below Fahrenheit it's not really all that comfortable although I have used it in much colder conditions. :)

Bottom line, get a good back and stretch out in the bed and enjoy the stars. Much better than trying to sleep all cramped in the cab.

20. Dec 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Yeah, the sleeping bag. I learned about them the hard way. :eek: I didn't know there was such a difference in them. After camping out while riding 4 wheelers with my friends in a tent on a 20-30 degree night. My 2 friends slept like babies while I couldn't sleep at all. The next day they informed me they had 20 degree sleeping bags. I didn't know there was such. I bought one and couldn't believe how warm it kept me once I got my body heat inside. The hard part is making yourself get out in the morning.

Products Discussed in

To Top