1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

City boy Taco decisions... Advice please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BrowardBoy, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    BrowardBoy

BrowardBoy [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi guys. I've been lurking for about a week and trying to read many of the sticky's. This seems like a great community. I work 60+ hrs/wk so please forgive me for asking questions that I may discover by searching... but Sunday is my only day off :(.

I have yet to purchase a Taco and I would appreciate some advice before doing so...

1st... I live in south florida and have little to no off-roading opportunities. We occasionally have hurricanes/wind storms with occasional flooding and debris swept streets. I would like to have the option of 4x4 but not sure if the additional price is worth the infrequent need. Is there a big difference in available suspension/wheel-tire upgrades comparing 4x4 to prerunner?

2nd... I drive about 20,000 miles/yr, mostly city, thus why I am considering the Tacoma over any of the large trucks. I am a DIY guy and need a utility vehicle for home improvements etc. and my Hyundai Elantra with 160,000 miles is soon to die and not very utility :p. She's been a great vehicle though... wish Hyundai built a truck, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

OK, I don't like the smallish stature of the stock Tacoma so I definitely want to lift it, but primarily for aesthetics and more commanding ride height, maybe 2.5" - 3" lift. I would like to maintain ride comfort but I also like the look of the off-road/AT tires. I like the 285 65 18 set up. I love SANDMANS build http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/68703-sandmans-build.html

So here's the deal... My previous sports cars have always been clean and classy upgrades that represented the model without pretending to be something it wasn't. I hate posers.

Is it posing to lift a pre-runner?
    Is the additional cost of 4x4 worth the occasional need in a concrete jungle?
    Is there a big fuel efficient and road handling difference running AT or grabbers vs a more street tire like Duelers?

Thanks guys. I appreciate all opinions. Seems like a great forum.

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Not posing to lift a Prerunner...They have some better lift options for the larger lifts (4-7 inches)
    I would not get 4x4 if I was you. 4x4 is NOT a cure all for bad driving conditions- You shouldn't be out in a hurricane or driving thru flooded/debris covered streets no matter what mods you have. Not having 4x4 will also save you a few bucks initially and more cause of the better mpgs for all your city miles.

AT tires tend to be heavier and made to grip more...More grip means stickier means more rolling resistance. It's stick to a mild AT or a street tire for your uses. Nitto DuraGrapplers come to mind....I'm sure there are more.

PS-Welcome to the board!!

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM
    oofy15354

oofy15354 Proud Tundra *****

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Massachusetts
    Herculiner, Access Tonneau, Uniden cb, firestik antennae, Bosch Wipers, JVC Ipod headunit, Boston Acoustic Speakers
    just for a comparison, i dropped 2mpg going from stock tires to General grabber AT2s

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I have a 4" lifted, 2wd 4 cylinder, with 33.10 tires, and sliders and a few other things and get 23.5 mpg. maybe look into that! it gets me everywhere i want to go

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    BrowardBoy

BrowardBoy [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys.

What is the most effective way to lift the rear and maintain ride comfort? Seems like blocks and aal's both pre-load the springs and cause a stiffer ride. I won't be off-roading so is there a cost effective way to raise the rear 1-1.5" without creating a stiffer ride?

6. Oct 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    custom leaf pack $$$$

7. Oct 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    BrowardBoy

BrowardBoy [OP] Member

Member:
    DAMN! How 'bout blocks with sand bags in the bed? :rolleyes:

8. Oct 24, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    BrowardBoy

BrowardBoy [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks bro! Would never drive IN those conditions but you would be surprised how long it takes for those streets to be cleared. I have experienced impassable streets 1-2 weeks post storm.

9. Oct 24, 2010 at 1:37 PM
    BrentPaucke

BrentPaucke Love Your Leisure

Member:
    First Name:
    brent
    Central Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5
    arb bumper blacked out tail lights camper shell hella 500 grill lights cb radio custom black dee zee tool book bhlm pioneer deck OME 3 inch dakar leafs URD stage 4 clutch aluminum fly wheel
    get a 4x4 cause you never what youcould get into and if your in florida it rains and you could be working and then your truck gets stuck at the job ... not cool second if your a contractor you may want a hd lift for the rear many old man emu heavy duty with timbren bump stops, your not buying a truck your starting a new way of life

Products Discussed in

To Top