1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

considering making retrofit angel eyes HID conversions

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bass mechanic, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    guys, about a year ago i successfully retrofitted the miramoto HID H4 into a new set of the latest 3rd gen Halo or spyder headlight found on ebay.

i know some guys like the look others hate it but i really wanted a way to spruce up the look of my taco so i went with the smoked design

i then had to make brackets to hold the new projector internally as well as modify all the wiring so that the HID's stay on for both high and low beam.

if you have seen any of the pictures here where people have installed the miramoto projectors you know the beam pattern is perfect and allows bi-xenon operation.
    when installed into the spyder housings you also get a halogen high beam.
    this way when you want high beams you get about 110 watts of halogen and full xenon output.
    the results are nothing short of amazing!

anyway i am trying to get some interest as i have been thinking about doing some side work getting all the components, the headlights, the xenon kits and have a machine shop make the adapter i need to swap the projectors.
    then i plan to make a jig using my already adjusted lights to align the beams before shipment.

what you get is an already wired already adjusted direct swap for the factory headlights.

my cost would of course be the cost of the headlights and the the HID kits and my time. i want to see how many might have interest. i would probably charge about 100 bucks per set of my labor + shipping.

so how many of you would be interested in an already set up properly adjusted direct plug and play solution to your factory headlights?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Nov 14, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I like the idea but im not sure if i would like the price. Your talking about retrofiting the aftermarket dual projector ebay headlights right? I love the look of those.

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    bass mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none
    yes thoes are the lights, i can tell you that you can stick HID bulbs in the lights but as has already been discussed they look terrible, hot spots and bad coverage, beam pattern worthless.
    the retrofits look perfect, like they came stock, much brighter, much better fill and you get the bi-xenon.

what i can tell you is the modification is not an easy one. i had to make a whole new mounting bracket out of sheet aluminum a lot of dremmel work and then adjustment once back together.
    i had to modify virtually every part inside the light assembly with reguards to how the projector lense mounts and the pivot point that it is attached to.
    also had to modify all the wireing so that the high beam works, the projector stays on and allows the bi-xenon to work.
    overall i am very happy with the outcome
    so much so that i know anyone who is looking for a different look but lacks the skills or the time might be willing to buy an already made up set.

4. Nov 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    I think it sounds like a good idea. You see guys all the time on this forum talk about the ebay headlights, and then everyone tells them the light output sucks so dont buy them, well here is the solution! Rascall did a write of his here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/234780-ebay-dual-halo-projector-headlight-retrofit.html It seems like it is alot of work and is not an easy process. Any idea how much the average set of headlights you're planning on building would cost? $100 for labor and shipping seems very resonable, the prices of the ebay headlights vary so much though, would you be able to buy the cheapest ones because you're replacing the projectors anyway? And i am guessing you just retrofit the low beam projectors and dont touch the high beams right?
    Sorry for all the questions, i am interested but new headlights are low on the list right now. I bet you will do well if you end up building these. Got any pictures of yours?

5. Nov 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    bass mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none
    well honestly, i figured if i was willing to do it for 100 and if i got enough people interested i had hoped to buy several sets at a discounted price and use that to my advantage.
    the other issue is that i make way too much money at my regular job to look at this offer as anything but just a little something for my time to help some folks out.
    i figured if i could get say 5 people interested i might be able to knock out several in an assembly line fashion and make the whole thing worth my time.
    so it seems i may have 1 interested party so far.

6. Nov 14, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Lol there has to be more people intersted. If you build it they will come. Oh and that issue you have there about making to much money, thats rough man :wink: wish i had that issue. So if you really want to get the ball rolling start a group buy, post some nice pictures and say if 10 people commit to the group buy one person (me) will be randomly selected get a set for free and get their money back haha.

7. May 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM
    tacomabilly

tacomabilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Are you still into building the headlight conversion?

8. May 15, 2014 at 6:05 AM
    bass mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    none
    nope not enough interest here, but i sold my tacoma and bought a 2014 GMC sierra 1500 with the 6.2l stingray engine.

but lucky for you i have a brand new set with projectors and HIDS already installed ill sell you for 200 bucks + shipping. all you need to do is buy the ballasts and relays. they are already aligned and ready to go.

i took the headlights off my tacoma before i sold it. and i had some issues with the smoke lens's coating peeling off. so i bought a brand new set with the black insides and clear lenses.
    i had them on the truck for about 3 weeks when i ended up selling the truck. so they are like brand new and already aligned.

i also took some pictures as i was taking it apart so i could create a DIY for whoever wants to buy and install them.

Products Discussed in

To Top