1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

crossovers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by commtrd, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Jul 25, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    commtrd

commtrd [OP] commtrd

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4wd V6
    Here's the deal: I am fixing to install a Pioneer HU (DEH410UB Premier) in my truck and lose the stock POS radio / speakers. I chose to get the Image Dynamics XS-69 components / Mr Marv baffles and have the ARC Audio KS-125 mini amp already here. So should I use the crossovers that come with the speakers or try to use the crossovers in the HU? I understand that the crossovers eat a lot of power that would be going to the speakers? Or is it mandatory to use the crossovers that come with the speakers? I will not be using a sub so approximately what would be some good starting settings for first applying power to everything on the install? Just so nothing gets hosed right off the bat and to start to get everything tuned properly? I will most likely start with the amp gain(s) turned down all the way. No bass boost to start with either. The instruction book that came with the amp does not go into detail too much concerning the crossover settings; the amp has per channel settings that go from 55 Hz to 550 Hz. So I am a little confused as to how these should be initially set so as not to destroy the tweeters immediately. Or would the external crossovers handle this so would not need the CO's in the amp at all?

Thanks for any pointers on this.

2. Jul 25, 2009 at 8:17 PM
    Ese Loco

Ese Loco Taco Man Sam

Member:
    Vero Beach, FL / Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 V6 6-speed
    Legal Florida Tint all-around, 1.5" add-a-leaf, bilstein 5100 rear shocks, Light Racing Coilovers, Removed secondary air filter, K&N airfilter, Amsoil 100% synthetic motor oil, Amsoil synthetic severe gear in rear differential, Differential breather mod, Painted rims and logo's black, amsoil oil filter
    feelin too tired to answer it all but you definitely are gonna want to use the crossover that came with your speakers

3. Jul 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    If that was my setup....

I would bridge the amp and use the crossovers that come with the speakers. There is more than enough power.
    Set the speakers up properly using the test tones here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/44019-audio-test-tones.html
    Turn bass boost completely off when setting the speaker levels.
    Using the ID crossovers, the HU's crossover will not be used. Definitely deaden the doors with those speakers as well...

4. Jul 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Agreeing with the above. Use the crossover that comes with the speakers. Start with no bass boost or other types of frequency adjustments. A nice flat signal is where you want to start out so you have a base line to shape the sound to the way that sounds best to you.

5. Aug 1, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    While using the passives that come with the speakers will certainly protect the tweeters, I think you still need to protect the mids by using the high pass crossover in the amp or HU. You'll probably end up somewhere in the 100s.

I used the crossover in the head unit first so I could experiment with it while sitting in the listening position.

6. Aug 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Oops, just realized you said xs69, not 65s. I guess those can cross lower, but of course you'd still need to protect them.

Products Discussed in

To Top