1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Day time running lamps

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jefferson, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    I have a 2005 Prerunner SR5 that doesn't have the daytime running lamps. I was curious if anyone has installed something or rewired the front turn signals so they become daytime running lamps. Id love to keep them as signals as well. Also, i'm more than curious to make the parking lamps functional, as in making them into turn signals as well. anyone have any theories on this>

I'm new, so excuse the noob crap. heres a picture of her. Aint she pretty?

SP_A0317_7673948f0bf0eedba9bf687149182215468103c9.jpg

2. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:58 PM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
  3. Aug 1, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    Excellent thank you so much!

4. Aug 1, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    No problem! Welcome to TW...you'll find everything you need here.:D

5. Aug 2, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
  6. Aug 3, 2008 at 1:36 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    There's a free way to do something similar if you have wire and quick splices laying around the house, and don't want to spend the $80 or so on OEM parts.

Use the link in my sig.

7. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    SO I’ve been thinking more about my day time running lamps.. I like the free mod, and could do that in no time flat, but then you’d have to have the parking lights on all the time. I don’t like doing that because of how it dims the instrument cluster/panel. So I was thinking, couldn’t you run a wire from the blue plug’s hole (as listed in the free mod), but route that to some sort of power from inside the cabin? I know that when I turn off my Tacoma, the instrument cluster’s lights stay on till I open the door. So there has to be some sort of power set to that. It would also then keep those lights on when my headlamps are turned on. Now here’s my question: does anyone know where that wire is that powers the lights to the instrument cluster TILL the door is opened? And if that wire would be a good tap for the day time running lamps. Thanks ahead of time!

8. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:54 PM
    Anthony

Anthony San Antonio Detailer :)

Member:
    Houston - Spring/Tomball area
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner access cab 2.7L M5
    Nfabs Afe Pro Dry UWS linex'd toolbox
    if you just leave your running light switch on all the time, they will turn off automatically when you shut the truck off.

9. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    True, but then you have the rears on and it dims out the instrument cluster. I'm trying to get away from that and make more of a stock look without having to buy that $60 part

10. Aug 12, 2008 at 5:00 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I honestly never really noticed the dash dimming. :p At least not enough to bother me, but then maybe because I just leave them on all the time so I'm used to it now.

And to be honest, I kinda like having the rears on. I have lots of blind turns, tree lined roads, fog, and other things that can make it difficult to see the car ahead of you. So I think it's kinda stupid that factory DRL setups only turn on the headlights. What good is that? Ok, so oncoming cars can see you, but what about the people behind you? Maybe you're the one going slower for some reason, and someone comes flying up from behind.... Wouldn't you prefer they see you sooner and slow down before hitting you? Or vice versa? You're going the speed limit (or maybe 5 over :D ) and the guy ahead is creeping along at 10 under.....in the shadow of some trees......around a corner? Could make the car damn near invisible if it doesn't have lights on the back to grab your attention fast enough to slow/stop/swerve.

Just makes more sense to me to have the rears light up too if you're doing this mod for visibility/safety and not just looks.

Products Discussed in

To Top