1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership Scratched your rims, what would you do?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PS78, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    WildWolfy

WildWolfy Assitant Trainer/ Supervisor

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    Just Startin Stock TRD with Locking Rear and SR5 package
    I work at a dealership myself, and like others say, shit happens. The people they send these rims to are awsome, and pulled many miracles out of thier hats. Truth be told, that was not that bad of damage, and can be fixed. Calling the 1800 # will only give you a false sense of hope, they will call the dealership after they weigh the # of complaints made. If you were the only one, they will just say they are sorry it happened and maybe throw a free oil change/ rotation your way. but honestly, kinda sounds like a guy complaining about his shoes getting dirty and claiming you need to buy him new ones instead of having them cleaned... my 2 cents anyways.:)

2. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    They scratched the paint!

I hope Akio Toyoda hand delivers you a new one. This one is ruined :(

3. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    PS78

PS78 [OP] I like beer, I brew beer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rancher
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    to many to list, check the build thread
    the shit happens comment is totally ridiculous. When you spend the amount of money we do on these trucks you dont expect to take it back to the place of purchase and have them treat it like shit. I understand that some scratching can occur when putting the impact wrench in the hole but come on. Im going to let the dealership fix the problem and then ill do my own rotations from now on.

4. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD
    Smitty Built nerf bars
    Did you notice it and said something or did they inform you? If you noticed it without them saying anything, i would be mad. Which dealer in denver was this at if you don't mind me asking?

5. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:32 PM
    PS78

Member:
    First Name:
    Rancher
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    i noticed it in the parking lot of the dealership and then thought, should i say something. Ended up driving home and stewing on it for a bit and called the dealership the second I walked in the door. Then met the service manager the next morning first thing. They are being very helpful and im dropping the truck off tomorrow to get the rim guy to fix the problem. Id rather not throw the dealership under the bus by saying which one in Denver it is. Im going to let them fix the problem first.

6. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM
    MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 TACOMA TRD OFF ROAD
    Smitty Built nerf bars
    Not a problem. I hope it all works out for you.

7. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    Tac 2009

Tac 2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    black 09 SR5

X1

8. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    WildWolfy

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    So, everytime you do something it comes out perfect? never make mistakes? I did this to my own truck by accident.. and I and very particular about the maint. so someone who wields a impact wrench 10 ish hours a day, under a time limit per car that comes thru makes 1 mistake, I would give him a chance, as far as him not reporting it, that is bad business.

9. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Paint em black or get em PC'd

10. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:00 PM
    TiMe

TiMe Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cab 4x4
    6" Fabtech with coilovers 33" nitto mud grapplers
    Wheel guy should be able to fix that no problem. The guy we use at our shop (body shop) is mobile and fixes wheel on the car and they come out GREAT everytime. Let them fix them, dont make them replace them

11. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    PS78

Member:
    First Name:
    Rancher
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR

No I don't do everything perfect but when im standing at the window at the dealership and the stupid mechanic is more interested in his buddies working on the cars / trucks next to mine instead of getting the work done and getting me out the door it pisses me off. Plus he moved slower than a sloth. If you want to hire that kind of help at your dealer ill let him know to come on down to Texas where he can do spotty work to everyone's car and no one would give two shits. I took it to the dealership expecting quality work, if you want to let people walk all over you and say shit happens fine but most people would man up and complain just to see what happens. And in my case the problem is getting fixed cause i opened my mouth, if i wouldn't have then maybe that mechanic would just continue to do the half ass job he is doing and scratch most of the new cars coming back for service, hell should i have just let him drag the wrench across my doors too while he was at it? cause you know, shit happens

12. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    When I bought my Lexus, the front rim had serious curb rash. It was pointed out to me and told that they will have it fixed before I take delivery of the car.

Came out beautiful. Cannot tell for nothing that it was ever gouged, let alone scratched. I even asked if they fixed it or put on a new wheel. He said that it was indeed repaired, because he got the due bill.

What you have is nothing compared to what was on my car. Mine looked like someone parked it by touch.

I would at least give them a chance. You will be amazed at the magic that they can do.

13. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Take a breath and calm down, it is getting fixed. Wait and see what the result is...

14. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    WildWolfy

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    I think we are getting on the wrong foot. I know exactly what your talking about, we fired someone for that reason. and to make that mark, all you have to do is hit the trigger while taking the wrench out and putting in on the other lug. I did indeed say it was bad business not to tell you about the damage. and no, we would never want a guy like that to work on our cars let alone represent a dealership. not once in your previous post did you mention this, or my response would have been different. Sorry for your loss :(

15. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    PS78

Member:
    First Name:
    Rancher
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    no worries, all i was getting at is that laying down and doing nothing is not the way to deal with anything. I should have said in the beginning post that I had to bring the problem to the managements attention. The dealership is being super helpful and im going to let them fix it, i never demanded new rims or anything else but to fix the problem at hand.

16. Aug 22, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    That does seem a tad bit careless for the DEALER to do that, but at least like some of the other guys were saying they did admit to it which is shocking and even though it sucks at least they offered to fix it for free i hope. Yeah i would rather have a new rim too! but if they aint going to give you one a repaired one is just as good!;)

17. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    If done properly, the refinishing on the sractch should be better than oem. I'm not sure what they will do about the ding that you have on one of the edges of the lug hole. I would be concerned about how that turns out.

I had a similar incident happen when the dealer did the same thing to my new anthracite TRD rims, I'll try to find the thread. I ended up not having them refinish it as the labor ethic around here is questionable and I have never had work done that has not gone back several times.

The part where the dealership mounted them is further down.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/61595-i-know-i-will-scratch-them.html

18. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    They fill it.

Seriously, my wheel had gouges and a couple of chips in it from someone scraping against the curb. It's smooth as ever!

d3e95b74_b1472548a71989e4af27b617bae6451a5b1738ce.jpg

19. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    That looks perfect! What did they fill it with? Some type of body filler? I wouldn't think that would hold up too well with all the movement, heat, vibrations, etc. If they welded in new metal I would be all in.

20. Aug 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    babytruck

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I have no idea. Lexus had the guy come to the dealership before I picked up the car. :) Can't feel anything when I run my finger along it, either. I've had the car 14 months now and no issues, no color change, no cracking, nothing! That's why I asked if they just put on a new wheel and he said no, he got charged for the fix.

Products Discussed in

To Top