1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY OME Install

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by markwin, Apr 19, 2018.

?

Can a newb install OME kit themselves?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    96.2%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Apr 19, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    markwin

markwin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Stock
    Thinking of buying an OME kit(front and rear) from Headstrong and doing the install myself, both to save costs and to gain some hands on experience working on my truck. I would have the struct assembled by them so I won't need to screw around with the springs.

As someone with basically no mechanical experience am I biting off more than I can chew with this? From the videos I've seen it looks pretty straightforward but I am worried to make some mistake and have my vehicle fail me out in the middle of nowhere. What is the consensus? Is this something somebody like me can take on without much risk to the vehicle?

Also since I don't have space for the install I am thinking to rent out a bay at a DIY mechanics shop nearby, anyone have experience with these places?

sundance_kid likes this.
  2. Apr 19, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    NBourque

NBourque Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 PRO
    I was sorta in the same boat as you. If I had the space and tools I probably would have tackled the job myself but I don’t have either so I had a shop install my lift.

3. Apr 21, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    MarvinL

MarvinL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR 4X4 DCSB
    You can do it, I did mine without much mechanical experience, the most I did was change oil. I also rented a BAY with lift and all tools needed.

It is fairly easy if you prepare and learn all the steps first and follow them, use proper tools. If you are going to use AIR TOOLS, make sure the SOCKET you are using is the proper 6 PT. socket and not the 12 PT, I made a mistake on 1 bolt and ruined it which cost me more time.

Are you replacing UCA?

4. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    Mista_G

Mista_G Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    Replacing the UCA (the damn through bolt) and doing the rear leafs will take the most time. Front and rear shocks/struts are easy peasy.

5. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    taco_medic

taco_medic taco_medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    lower alabama
    Vehicle:
    2017 tacoma trd sport 4x4 dcsb
    DoYouEvenMall!!
    Just did this lift install yesterday very strait forward would help if you have help!! Front UCA bolts are a B@tch use a big set of pliers to bend inner fender becareful with wires behind that lip make sure you push the two push pins in and remove bolt on driver side under hood to tap bolt out. Pass side just have two push tabs and becareful not to grab wire with your pliers both sides. While you have driver side part go ahead and do your ECGS install pretty straight forward. Rear you need to pry bracket where bottom shock mounts to axle those rubber grommets make it tough to align hole to install bolt. Found it easier to leave back part of leaf spring loose where it mounts to truck for last. That way u can line up the pin on bottom of leaf spring with axle. If you need any advice or help just let me know. I did the lift by myself and was first time putting a suspension lift on. The videos from wheelers offroad helped tremendously!!

michael knieff likes this.
  6. Apr 22, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    The Boat Oar

The Boat Oar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blacked Out TRD Off-Road
    Do you have a link to the videos?

7. Apr 22, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    taco_medic

taco_medic taco_medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    lower alabama
    Vehicle:
    DoYouEvenMall!!
    Don’t know how to do links!! Go to google and type in “ome install tacoma” one video is 8:00 minutes for front and other is 12:00 minutes for back!

8. Apr 22, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    taco_medic

taco_medic taco_medic

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    lower alabama
    Vehicle:
    DoYouEvenMall!!
    The videos are from lowrangeoffroad not wheelers offroad!! Sorry

9. Apr 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM
    StrangeDuck

StrangeDuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner AC TRD Offroad; 4.0 6-speed
    265/75 Bridgestone Dueler ATs, 5100s all around, OME 883s front, EL095R Dakars rear (overload removed), custom sliders, Clazzio seat covers, Softopper, KB Voodoo URTC
  10. Apr 25, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    mhshark

mhshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, Or
    I would say this is easily doable. I didn’t have much experience at all and tackled this. I would HIGHLY recommend just buying new UCA bolts and cutting off the stock bolt. It is a big time PITA to remove. Lots of bending and then some wires and stuff are in the way once the metal is bent. That was the hardest part of the whole install.
    Give yourself plenty of time, have a second set of hands if possible and get dirty

Products Discussed in

To Top