1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dobinsons 2016-2023 Taco Suspension Options

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Crikeymike, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jun 30, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    Crikeymike

Crikeymike [OP] ExitOffroad.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    They'll probably arrive in September (IMS rears). Rear MRA's just sold out too, so they'll be probably September as well.

CygnusX191 and Greg.Brakes.Tacos like this.
  2. Jun 30, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    Dudley_C

Dudley_C Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll scrounge up some shocks to run on the rear until then I guess. Is there any reason why I can't find the C59-448 coils on the website?

CygnusX191 likes this.
  3. Jun 30, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Yeah, because I don't recommend them anymore. The spring rate is really soft, and unless you plan to keep it bone stock weight, they're not ideal. I suggest the C59-314 instead. I feel that the spring rate of them is just better for these trucks.

If you want them, I can make it happen though.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  4. Jun 30, 2020 at 2:00 PM
    Dudley_C

Dudley_C Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    I plan to keep it stock up front for awhile at least, and at some point I'll add a bumper and maybe a winch, at which time I had planned to just swap out the coils. I kind of like a plush ride, not soft, but definitely not harsh. I just want the best spring to fit into that category and have read where several people really liked them for that purpose. It looked like the 314 spring rate was 586 vs the 448 at 500, not a huge difference, so I may like the 314 just as well too. I'll trust your opinion on them since you sell these everyday.

CygnusX191 likes this.
  5. Jun 30, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Yeah, that's right on the rates. I think the rate of the 314s is more ideal.

CygnusX191 and Dudley_C[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jun 30, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    Dudley_C

Dudley_C Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Order is in. Thanks for the help!

7. Jul 5, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    Beachdog77

Beachdog77 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Hey guys, I’m in the process of installing the Front MRA struts. I have the driver side in place and snugged up on the top and to the lower control arm. When I try to raise the lower control arm with a jack so I can torque the lower strut bolt, the lower control arm won’t move up at all. The jack actually raises the whole truck. I have all the settings on the MRA’s backed right off so the shock should move easy. Any ideas?

8. Jul 5, 2020 at 11:34 AM
    RyanDCLB

RyanDCLB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4/19 DCLBOR
    Hey, did you install them similar to Mike's video here? Mike mentions only tightening it on the ground around the 4:30 mark, but I'm not sure that's your problem.

Also, you can see finish pictures here, but again, I don't think that helps with your problem. Here's a post on the cam bolt lube, and here's a post where someone had a stuck LCA and frozen cam bolts. :notsure: Diagram here. GL!

9. Jul 5, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    Beachdog77

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    Thanks for replying. I eventually got it figured out. I was having trouble getting the lower ball joint bracket lined back up but I eventually got it.

RyanDCLB[QUOTED] and CygnusX191 like this.
  10. Jul 7, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    Beachdog77

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    I finished installing the MRA59-A220 with C59-314 front coils. After a couple days my truck is sitting at about 2 1/4 inches of lift in the front. Anyone thinking about ordering a Dobinsons suspension I’d recommend going with @Crikeymike at Exit Off-road. He was very helpful with ordering and has been more than helpful with support since. Now to install the rears in the next couple days. Pics to follow when it’s all done.

11. Jul 7, 2020 at 10:05 AM
    Uscgamecock7

Uscgamecock7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    West Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Trd Sport DCLB 4x4(SOLD) 2017 Tacoma Trd OR 4x4(SOLD) 2024 T4R TRD PRO
    Cant wait to see finished product. Are you gonna be running the dk lowers?

CygnusX191 likes this.
  12. Jul 7, 2020 at 3:06 PM
    Beachdog77

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    No plans to change uppers or lowers at this point. I’ll see how alignment checks out after install is complete.

Crikeymike[OP] and CygnusX191 like this.
  13. Jul 8, 2020 at 8:16 PM
    Taquitoma

Taquitoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB M/T
    Another day trapped inside, I thought I would update my experience so far running these Dobinsons.

Original review here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/dobinsons-16-taco-suspension.474308/page-22#post-22628006

Or quick synopsis: I originally went with the 302/220 combo and 110 leafs, and with the help of a friend and the shelter of a garage, put them on at the end of January. The 302 coils were listed as 1.5" lift, and with the extra +1" from the 220, were to put me at 2.5" up front and the 110's at 2.1" in the back. After install everything looked good, the numbers, the stance, the ride...I was happy. However, I quickly found that the suspension seemed low, and sure enough, after a week it had settled to 1.5" in the front and 1.25" in the back. DCSB OR, no additional weight besides a tonneau cover.

After a few emails, photos, and phone calls, Mainline Overland kindly offered to send me a pair of 314 coils (supposed to give 2.5", which with the 220 shocks would be 3.5"). They then put me in touch with Dobinsons who ultimately sent me the 111 leafs to try for size (supposed to be 2.75" with 600lbs of weight). Both claimed this was the first time they heard of the lifts not giving the height as advertised.

Fast forward to end of April, I've moved across the country into an apartment and had the pleasure of redoing the whole install by myself in a church parking lot (No sarcasm ;) ). The second time around went much smoother as you have a much better understanding of how, what, where, why, but most importantly, you don't have to undo 2+ years worth of metal to metal contact. You'll notice I also threw on JBA UCA's, which for all intents and purposes are a perfect match to the Dobinsons red. And after having the sway bar get in the way quite a bit during the install, I decided to take it out and see how it would ride without, and worst case, fumble it back in.

IMG_0915.jpg IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0925.jpg

Because I don't want to write a book about it and you (maybe?) don't want to read one, here are my main takeaways from riding these Dobinsons over the last 6 months.

Ride - Definitely stiffer than stock OR, which for the most part feels great on the road, however you'll notice the potholes more. For that, I would highly recommend removing the sway bar; the coils are plenty stiff to keep the body roll to a minimum without the sway bar, and not once have I felt unconfident in the trucks handling at high speeds. It also frees up the articulation off-road. I should also note that when Dobinsons sent me the 111R leafs they warned me the ride could become much harsher as they're designed to hold 600lbs constant weight, however, I didn't notice much of a difference between the 110R and 111R leaf springs.

Height - My first setup with 302/220 front and 110R rear settled to 1" lower all around than advertised. It was no surprise to me that after installing the 314s and 111R they also did not meet their advertised height. 314 coils with 220 struts should net 3.5", and the 111R's should be 2.75" with 600lb load, likely a little more if stock like me. Of course, right after install the numbers were good, but a week later had settled to 2.5" in the front and 2.25" in the rear. After chatting with Dobinsons, it doesn't seem to me as if they measured the lift gained by each coil/strut combo on an actual truck, or if those numbers are just theoretical. If they did, I'm not sure if they ran the parts long enough to the point where they settled. I remember reading from two members in this thread whose lifts have settled like mine, notably the 302 coils and 110R leafs. Perhaps everyone else measured their gain right after install, was happy, and moved on with their lives? Or some of us just have heavier trucks by a half a ton? In any case, Dobinsons and MLO did their part to get me the lift I was after so I'm happy.

Rust - I previously wrote a post on this topic (https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/dobinsons-16-taco-suspension.474308/page-28#post-23253428) When swapping out the suspension, I noticed quite a bit of rust spots had developed on the coils and the struts had paint bubbling up with some corrosion underneath in a few areas. The ones on the coils are from abrasion during shipping (I noticed it on both sets of coils) and I would recommend touching them up before install. I'm not sure what caused the paint bubbling/corrosion on the struts, perhaps the coil scratched it up as I was getting them positioned. Nothing a wire wheel and a rattle can can't fix. We'll see after another winter how they hold up.

Squeaking - A few weeks after this second install and a few local gravel road drives, one of the 111R leafs developed a squeak. It's a little dusty this time of year, but still, Dobinsons does say these don't squeak...I've had the pressure washer up close and personal with the leaf a few times already, though with the truck under its own weight, but after a day or two the squeak comes back. I've yet to get the truck up on a jack and manually clean between the leafs...I'm hopeful that will fix it for good!

Bottom line - For the price and my experience so far with both the ride and the customer service, I am very happy with Dobinsons. No product is perfect, and none of these issues that I've had are not unexpected or unfixable.

And here we are today (well, a few days ago technically):

IMG_1164.jpg

14. Jul 8, 2020 at 9:12 PM
    doubleb97

doubleb97 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Denver CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma TRD Sport - Supercharged
    Thanks for the update. This is confirming to me that I might be better off ordering both coils and springs one size above what I really need. I’ve been on the fence about that and worried the lift will settle lower than I would like. I’m about 600-700lbs over stock in the rear constant load and am planning to add skids and a RTT next year so more weight is coming. I still have to confirm the measured weight over stock at a local quarry - right now it’s just some rough math and estimating of my drawer system fully loaded, topper, roof rack and all the other stuff I just keep in my truck. My local 4x4 shop has said that even though I’ll be adding more weight in a year or so I might be happier with the 111r rear springs but I’m not convinced that can’t be temporarily solved with a couple sand bags and 30L of water in the back at all times until I get skids and an RTT.

I’m also going to thoroughly inspect the coils for exposed steel to touch up to prevent the rust you experienced. Wish me luck. Hope to be ordering end of July or early August. Going to do SPC UCAs at the same time.

Looking like I might get the 352 coils with the 220 shocks up front and the 112r leafs in rear.

Great to hear you had such a great experience with their customer service. That makes me feel better about spending $2000+.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    CygnusX191 likes this.
  15. Jul 9, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Taquitoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB M/T
    Glad I could help you out!

From my experience, going a size up is definitely what I would suggest. I'm not sure how far the 111Rs will sag under 600lbs of weight, but on my truck I would be under 2". From what I understand the 111R are simply 110Rs with an overload leaf that Dobinsons suggested removing if the ride is too harsh. I"m assuming the 112s would also have a leaf you could remove in the meantime?

doubleb97[QUOTED] and CygnusX191 like this.
  16. Jul 9, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    What are your hub to fender measurements now

17. Jul 9, 2020 at 3:41 PM
    Taquitoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB M/T
    As a sidenote, I forgot to mention two things in my review.

Shims - I've noticed a vibration during deceleration since I put on a small spacer lift two years ago. It's also possible it was there since I bought the truck. It didn't get better or worse with the Dobinsons (I actually thought it would be eliminated because of the stiffness) but ultimately I decided to do a few measurements and order a pair of 2 degree shims to see if it will help. Hopefully I'll get those on soon and see if they do anything.

Lean - If you didn't know already, the taco lean is a real thing :rolleyes: It didn't bother me at first, but after playing around trying to aim my headlights and fogs, I saw how crooked the cutoff line was on the wall, and now I can't unsee it. I've got a 1/4" spacer on order as well and that should take care of it.

Bratworx, doubleb97 and CygnusX191 like this.
  18. Jul 9, 2020 at 8:38 PM
    Taquitoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCSB M/T
    As of today:

Front Driver - 22.5" Front Passenger - 23"
    Rear Driver - 23.75" Rear Passenger - 24"

I've been measuring every few weeks when the thought pops up in my head, the numbers haven't changed since the initial settling a week after install.

I was looking forward to the 1/4" spacer to get everything nice and level until I took a look at the CV boots today... They've been lightly touching since install, so I monitor every now and again. Driver's side made the shiny ring but it looks like that's as much as it's gonna go. But on the passenger side it's started to groove in a bit, maybe half a mm. Can't have it all I guess :rolleyes:

CygnusX191 likes this.
  19. Jul 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    I put this together from the great photo that a forum member recently posted, for those needing to see how the MRA 3-way adjustable resi mounts.

MRA tacoma front resi instructions.jpg

Beachdog77 and CygnusX191 like this.
  20. Jul 25, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    jkish17

jkish17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    -Dobinson’s IMS shocks on C59-354 coils -Dobinson’s rear shocks -Dobinson’s L59-111-R heavy leafs -Wheeler’ off road super bumpstops -Wheeler’s off road U-bolt flip -JBA Upper control arms. -35x12.5r17 Yoko Geo MT’s -17x7.5 4Runner spare steel wheels (Part #42611-35430) -Trailgear 1.5 spacers -C4 fabrication rock sliders -Relentless Fabrication High Clearance Rear Bumper, no swingout. -CBI T3 front plate bumper, no hoop/bullbar. -Ironman 4x4 12,000lb synthetic winch -Victory 4x4 roof rack -Softopper -CVC tuned -ExtremeLED lightbars in the roof rack and front bumper. -Baja Squadron's in the rear bumper -MESO customs stuff everywhere -Dobinson’s Zenith air compressor mounted under the hood -Homemade S-pod relay box -Entire sound system replaced and sound deadening added
    @Crikeymike do you know if dobinson’s is planning on running any sales like they have in the past in the near future? Like the free air compressor or strut assembly they offered with a suspension purchase.

To Top