1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does it have to be a custom job?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by alexdelarge, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    alexdelarge

alexdelarge [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma Double-Cab TRD
    no mods!
    Hi, i've been reading these threads and doing a lot of searches and i've gleaned a lot of great info from you guys. thanks.

I'm looking for a storage box for my 1st gen Double-Cab. I've seen so many different kinds on this website, and learned the terminology to describe a few of the different styles by reading this site, which has been very helpful. But i still can't find exactly what i want--which is odd because i think its such a great idea that i can't believe its not being mass-produced.

As any of you who have 1st-gen Double-Cabs know, the wheel wells run right up into the back of the cab--there is zero space between the back of the cab and the front of the wheel wells.

I want a chest-type box that will sit on the floor of the bed, but i want it to follow the contour of the wheel wells, so that the edges of the box conform to the walls of the bed. very much like this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...s-got-my-stealth-dc-tool-box-perfect-fit.html

the effect is a box that LOOKS LIKE a saddle-box/crossover-box, but doesn't go up over the rails of the bed at all.

i'm open to a custom job, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for something that seems like it should be a commonly pursued product...

i've attached a pic (pdf) of a crude drawing which illustrates the dimensions i need. i'd love to hear feedback from any of you well-meaning enthusiasts :)

2. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    alexdelarge

alexdelarge [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    no mods!
    this shows the dimensions i'm looking for

Attached Files:

3. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    alexdelarge

alexdelarge [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    no mods!
    here's a jpg if that's easier for everyone :)

Picture 3.jpg

4. Aug 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    I made one out of aluminum diamond plate exactly like that, I'll try to find a pic

5. Aug 23, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    alexdelarge

alexdelarge [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    no mods!
    i would love to see how it looks, thanks! did you use a high-frequency welder? how much did the sheets cost you?

6. Aug 23, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
    do you have a build thread?? i wanna see this turbo :D

7. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    I have a picture but its not exactly appropriate for this :p ill post it anyways.

I do not have a build thread, sorry! never got around to making one, and now shes gone :(

[​IMG]

edit: oh and those indents in the back corners were for a custom headache rack.

8. Aug 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,

Damn...woulda liked to see that..

sorry for the highjack!

9. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    alexdelarge

alexdelarge [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    no mods!
    thanks for the pic. it looks great! sure would've loved to see a build thread. can you divulge a little about how you did it? materials, tools, resources, time involved, costs, etc?

10. Aug 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    x2 :D

To Top