1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First impressions of a 2nd Gen Taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by putawaywet, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Jan 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    "My DC Off-Road didn't come with them either."

Then you should go back and demand they give them to you. The Offroad does come with mats. Mine came with regular carpeted mats and the dealer threw in a set of all weather mats.

2. Jan 2, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    Just purchased 2010 DC TRD Off Road about 4 weeks ago. The mats were a dealer installed item and was listed on the sticker as a $299 add on. THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT!!! The TRD mats are really cheesey. Next time you purchase save yourself about $150, find a unit without the mats and order WeatherTech (front and back) for about $160. I ordered them and they fit my taco like they were poured into the floor (perfect fit). I never used the $300 TRD mats, and they are in a box in my storage room.

3. Jan 2, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    BCTacoma2010

BCTacoma2010 Michigan Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Southwest Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2017 Ford Platinum F150
    I purchased my TRD Sport on 12/23 and it came with the standard Tacoma carpeted mats. There was a tag on the drivers mat that said it has been attached to the floor and should not be removed until further notice from Toyota. It's attached to the floor with the same kind of plastic attachments they use to put tags on clothing in addition to the regular hooks.

It doesn't really matter, I've got WeatherTech's on the way.

4. Jan 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Definitely. Not only to keep things from sliding but to try and delay having your bed get all scratched up the plastic bed scratches VERY easy. Naturally if you're using the bed for it's intended use it will end up beat up sooner or later, but mine was already scratched up within a couple weeks just from a cooler of beer back there haha. Wish I had picked up a bed mat earlier.

5. Jan 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    putawaywet

putawaywet [OP] Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    First real snow since I got the 2010, and I got to try out all the electronic traction/stability/idiot controls :)

First off, they really do work. I've snowplowed commercially for about 15 years so I pride myself on good winter driving technique. The VSC on the 2010 really takes most of the thought/skill out of it. Give it gas, and go - the computer does the rest. I tried doing a donut, and couldn't. I tried fishtailing, and couldn't. I tried pulling out of a downhill parking spot in 2WD on snow/ice, and did. Very impressive, and it does make me feel safer knowing that OTHER PEOPLE have this technology in their vehicles :D I do wonder though if I'll lose my driving skills now that the truck does everything for me... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I shut the VSC off and did some donuts just to make myself feel better :cool:

6. Jan 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Also noticed today that the engine seems to 'surge' when you let of the accelerator and push in the clutch shift. Seems like that's not ideal for clutch wear...

7. Jan 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    The engine only allows the throttle to shut at a certain rate to prevent a spike in emissions that occurs when the throttle is closed abruptly. And yes, it is a little annoying.

8. Jan 4, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    my 2009 came with all weather floor mats...i got a notice in the mail about some recall or problem caused by someones gas pedal getting stuck on the floor mats...i really don't get it...there is plenty of room between the gas pedal and the mat...there's no way that could happen...prolly some moron made that complaint ...if i were you i would just go buy some all weather black floormats at wal mart...they are like $20

9. Jan 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    i had a 88 and a 92 previously.
    would love the weight of a steel bed, but since i live in salt capital of buffalo, anything that cant rust is outstanding.
    The back up mirror is outstanding, i thought they were cheesy when i didnt have one, but now i use it everytime i back up, especially when parking.
    The steel wheels are less likly to bend, and i hate when the aluimun wheels start to rust and pit.
    Plus i like the steelies when painted, best $10 improvement on the truck.

10. Jan 4, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    brianc142

brianc142 Active Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DC
    My 2010 TRD DC did not come with mats and the TRD mats were a $199 option. I said no thanks and ordered Husky Liners for mine. $140 for front and rear.

11. Jan 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    I got the husky liners also and was well worth the money. I couldnt believe mine didnt come with them either. Even tho every truck I get I order the huskys as soon as I get home from the dearler but it still gets under my skin when I said to the guy where are the floormats and he said it was a 150 dollar option. Kindof like the sat radio that you have to buy another kit to actually get it to work

12. Jan 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Got pics by any chance? I may just end up powder coating my steelies until I decide on aftermarket wheels...

13. Jan 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
  14. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    xpdishun

xpdishun Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    10 AC SR5 4x4 6MT V6
    Just curious, does this include tax, title, destination, and other fees? Also, did you have any rebates?

I order a 2010 4x4 Access Cab V6 6-spd SR5 w/ TO. I'm paying $26,286 on the road (already including a $1000 college grad discount and 6% sales tax). Sounds like I'm getting screwed. :eek:

Great post by the way, never had the joy of driving the first gen Tacoma but I've always been envious of my friends that have them.

15. Jan 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    $2400 difference isn't terribly huge...what other accessories/packages did you get? My taco cost me a good sight more than either of you fellas, but that's what happens when you add on damn near everything in the book... :p

16. Jan 4, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    xpdishun

xpdishun Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    10 AC SR5 4x4 6MT V6
    Very true! I added the towing package (TO $520 invoice) and carpet floor mats (CF $110 invoice) beyond the SR5 package that putawaywet has (SL $1184 invoice).

Still a far cry from the $2400 difference but in my calculations the dealer is making between 0.6% and 1.7% off of me so I'm still happy, just in awe of putawaywet's deal. :D

17. Jan 5, 2010 at 3:13 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    The composite box is nice but you give up load capacity.
    My 2001 xtra cab is rated for 500 lbs. more than a 2010.
    Also.... the box floor has to be supported with maybe some plywood or such as they have had a problem with the composite boxes cracking.
    Think before hauling..... I read of someone who had problems hauling a dirt bike. Guess hauling my Harley is out of the question.

I'm just waiting for my frame swap. Parts are slowly coming in.

18. Jan 5, 2010 at 3:23 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Mine does the same thing. It's annoying as hell but you get used to it. In the 13 years I've been driving, all have been manual transmission vehicles, mostly trucks, and none have actually revved higher when depressing the clutch. Seems stupid for it to do this but oh well, the Toyota engineers have more brain power than me and I assume they know what they're doing.

19. Jan 5, 2010 at 3:58 AM
    putawaywet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    In NH, there's no tax so that's one savings. The $23,980 includes all dealer fees, and includes the $1000 college grad rebate. Actual sales price everything included was $24,980. My truck sounds exactly like yours, minus the floor mats. I have the SR5 with Tow, 4x4, access cab, 6MT, V6 as well. When you take out the tax from your price, you're only paying about $700 more than me base price...

20. Jan 5, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Sure it didn't have anything else already on it on the lot? Tube steps, floor mats, DRLs, roof rack, etc?

Also, you live in different areas, and cost of living will affect vehicle prices.

Products Discussed in

To Top