1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Former Jeep Jk owner sucked in to the tacomaworld!!!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by TRDBandit, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    less than zer0

less than zer0 Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Member:
    First Name:
    < 0
    NWA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4

That is a nice Jeep, but you made the right choice.

Welcome to TW!

2. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    That was a really good looking Jeep, but nice to see you caught the Tacoma bug :p

3. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    Redfish

Redfish Well-Known Member

Member:
    Welcome, I would sit in a tacoma that has a hood scoop before adding one. I love the look of the scoop but not from the drivers perspective. And nice jeep and nice tacoma.

4. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Welcome to TW. You traded off a pretty nice JK for the Tacoma. If you're into offroad, check out my products in the vendor forum. link in my sig. :)

5. Nov 11, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Jeep must have pussified the new ones. My YJ with the 4.0L I6 manual tranny had torque like nothing I've ever had before. You could sit at a 45 degree angle on a hillclimb, let the clutch out without any gas it it'd start crawling on its own. No rolling backwards at all. It was frigin awesome.

Sorry to hear the new ones lost some balls..... :D

6. Nov 12, 2010 at 2:13 AM
    TRDBandit

TRDBandit [OP] TACOMANATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CRAWLORADO
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab TRD O.R. Dark Blue
    Afe Stage 2 CAI Tinted windows Many to come
    I mean it had torque but the wrangler isnt all its caked up to be. ya its good offroad.But you can modify any rig to be good off road. It come off road ready but you break a lot of stuff that way. I spent money on a new front axle, new power steering pump, 2 slave cylinders in the clutch and 2 throwout bearings.

It was like something was always breaking on that thing.

I mean the torque and power on the jeep was no match for the TACO! Taco will take it by far

What are the common issues with tacomas?

7. Nov 12, 2010 at 2:29 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I'm sorry, I don't understand the question? You said issues and tacomas in the same sentence.... :)

Really, as far as breaking, it's the CV joints on the IFS.

8. Nov 12, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    They definately pussified the Wranglers. I had a 92 & a 94 Wrangler, built 'em up and wheeled the piss out of 'em and never had a lick of problems with either of 'em (the first one was totalled on highway). Jeep reliability isn't nearly as good as Toyotas. However - Toyota has slipped some too. I owned a 96 tacoma and that thing was a tank compared to this 2007.

Like Leadgolem said.... in terms of offroading, the IFS & CV joints is a weakness (per say) compared to solid axles. IFS is a whole different ball game in terms of lifts and suspension travel. You are limited to what you can do. So - although you've been wheeling with a solid axle wrig........ you WILL NOT be able to drive the trails the same way as you did with the jeep. Take it easy until you get familiar with how the tacoma acts in offroad situations.

9. Nov 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    TRDBandit

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CRAWLORADO
    Vehicle:
    What is the IFS?

I did some cool stuff with the solid axle

DSC02306_22c1fb5f15deeed9977be0fbd16dc2d56d150a4f.jpg

DSC01569_dd4014fa544032fa6fd462eec7eb595c6fce6685.jpg

DSC01356_29441d2f37ab915d5265d26f6a289358100b6698.jpg

10. Nov 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109

Independent Front Suspension?

11. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:33 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Yup. SA would be solid axle.

An IFS gives you wheel travel rather then flex. So doing something like this both wheels would be parallel to the ground. The vehicle it's self would be canted to one side somewhat.

According to an article I was reading a while ago, the IFS with the same lift will be able to handle the same obstacles. Not in the same way though. Without an axle to get hung up on you can let some fairly large rocks pass between the front tires, where with a solid axle you'd get hung up. The IFS is going to ride better on the really easy stuff, fire roads etc..., then a solid axle setup.

The down side is that the IFS just isn't as strong. So your more likely to break it. That means you can wheel a solid axle system harder. Going over the same obstacle repeatedly your more likely to break an IFS then a SA.

In terms of speed over an obstacle, it usually ends up breaking even. An IFS would need to go slower since it's more fragile, but a SA would get hung up more.

There has been a lot of debate on the usefulness of both systems. In the end, I think it depends on what you want to use it for. :)

12. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    TRDBandit

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CRAWLORADO
    Vehicle:
    Ya man Im not much into the whole rock crawling as much. I just love going up into the mountains and exploring, doing some fishing, and taking pics. This Tacoma will be perfect for the type of wheeling I do. I would say nothing more difficult than moderate

13. Nov 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    So was it the 6 speed MT or the 4 speed AT

Im helping pick one up and trying to get some recommendations

14. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    TRDBandit

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CRAWLORADO
    Vehicle:
    It was the MT. The autos were even worse. most people had to upgrade to 5.13, add exhaust, intake and the superchip flashpack their jeep just to be able to get it go. The thing always felt like it was towing something. It was wayyy underpowered. Not a fan of the New jeep engine. The MT was ok. I still had low power with 35's and 4.10 gears. even when i had 33's it struggled in the mountains going up hills. it was like driving a cynder block. slow and sluggish.

15. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Welcome , hit us up if you need to know where your jack is at . :p

16. Nov 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    No problem with the Tacoma there. And the auto in the 2nd gens is great. You'll love it.

17. Nov 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    thank you

18. Nov 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    IFS is where each wheel flexs indepedantly of the other wheel without affecting the other wheels position.

Generally, between IFS & solid axle.....Solid axles are better for overall rock crawling and more serious offroading ventures simply because - solid axles are less complicated, less components to break, and stronger. Solid axle suspension pivots under the body (body stays level) and that keeps the side-to-side weight more distributed to the rest of the drive wheels (less likely for rollovers). Solid axle suspensions can flex a lot more than IFS simply because it utilizes compression from one side to gain more droop on the other side. Even though the diff is there....there's still more clearance under the axle tubes as they pivot compared to the center of an IFS vehicle.

For easy to moderate wheeling - you're fine in an IFS. Again - since you're used to wheeling in a solid axle....take it easy in an IFS until you get used to it. It is a totally different wheeling experience than solid axle. Avoid making tight turns in 4WD and if you feel resistance in the throttle or steering, don't force it!!!

Good Luck and have fun with it!!!

19. Nov 17, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    CityTRD

CityTRD Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Southern CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    2.5 Lift, Tint, De-badge, Bed Cover, Leather, Spidertrax, Extra D Rings, Weathertech...

Dude, I traded in my TJ for my taco and it took a long time to get used the lingo. I knew all things Jeep, and when I got here, total 180. Welcome!
    The guys on here really know there stuff so just search around and you can find a lot of what you'll need. The big shock is there is no Quadratec catalog for Tacoma, it really sucks!

Products Discussed in

To Top