1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Diff, Transfer Case, and Auto Transmission Breathers

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Mark_R, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Apr 19, 2017 at 9:19 AM
    Froggyhill

Froggyhill Chief installation coordinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Nelson
    CNY
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRDOR DCSB-Inferno red
    Light covering of salt from upstate New York roads OEM Predator running boards,Gator trifold tonneau
    Steventura86, you nailed it!! This is the info I've been asking/looking for. Keep getting "look at post above,( jackass implications) the pictures are right there"! Pics of 2cnd gens with easily found breathers. I'm not blind,just not double jointed!

Steventura86 and Braves95 like this.
  2. Apr 19, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    Braves95

Braves95 Go Clemson Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    17 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB P&T 6MT
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    I just don't know how I'm gonna get there to do mine. Got to think about it.

3. Apr 19, 2017 at 9:42 AM
    Froggyhill

Froggyhill Chief installation coordinator

Member:
    First Name:
    Nelson
    CNY
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRDOR DCSB-Inferno red
    Light covering of salt from upstate New York roads OEM Predator running boards,Gator trifold tonneau
    I'm thinking 3' forceps with the steady hands of a brain surgeon. Lol

Greg.Brakes.Tacos likes this.
  4. Apr 19, 2017 at 9:48 AM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Fab Fours Bumper Block Heater Dual Exhaust Flow Master Smittybilt 12k Winch Synthetic Rope Bed Mat Roof Rack Puddle Lights 17" Rockstar Wheels NittoTerra Grapplers Power TailGate Lock Tonneau Cover w/lights Mobtown sliders MT Remote Start Tinted Windows Front And Rear Camera BRC Competition Diff Breather Bed Step Weather tech Floor Mats TRD Pro Tail lights TRD MT Shift Knob ARB dual compressor URD short shifter Kings 2.5 OEM W/remote resi. Click adjuster.
    That's a good one. Don't understand how they put the 2 by the fuse box put the other 3 way down there. Doesn't make since. But I guess that's what they get paid the big bucks?

5. Apr 19, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    Steventura86

Steventura86 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    OME BP-51, TRD RIMS 17" KO2's, ARB snorkel, Rigid ditch Dually flood lights with OCF ditch brackets, custom cut vinyl hood wrap, extang 2.0 bed cover, bed extender, OEM roof rack and side steps, ARB Breather kit, weathertech window deflectors
    I just hate when people link to wrong post or videos. Let me know how you set it up, because I'm still waiting on the ARB XTras kit. I need more line and one extra fitting to finish it.

6. Jun 6, 2017 at 3:45 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    bumping old thread since I was about to install mine today since I finally got the union for the diff from toyota, after getting it looked at the proviced stuff with ARB, they look like the same thread and size.
    Can you confirm? Did you use the provided quick connect 1/8th NPT connectors in the diff?

7. Jun 6, 2017 at 3:48 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    were you able to confirm if they are a breather or a vent?

Not arguing that they are connected to the Tcase etc, but are they a one way valve meant to vent pressure from inside the diff or are they an actual breather.
    From my understanding the reason you'll suck water in is because the diff will cool and create a vacuum inside, but since they have one way vents on them, it will suck water in from around the vent and the gasket

usmc2msu likes this.
  8. Jun 6, 2017 at 3:59 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Yes it's a vent NOT a breather. There's one on:
    Transfer case
    Transmission
    Rear diff.
    The rear diff. Has the vent on top of the rear diff.
    The transfer case and transmission is located near the fire wall in the middle. U can see it with a light and mirror. So don't know how to add coupler to extend to the breather.

Joe23[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 6, 2017 at 4:20 PM
    Judicar

Judicar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    I used the union purchased from Toyota

10. Jun 6, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    Steventura86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    OME BP-51, TRD RIMS 17" KO2's, ARB snorkel, Rigid ditch Dually flood lights with OCF ditch brackets, custom cut vinyl hood wrap, extang 2.0 bed cover, bed extender, OEM roof rack and side steps, ARB Breather kit, weathertech window deflectors
    I still never got more line. the site pissed me off and it never got delivered. If you look at the video I posted, it shows the locations for auto trans. I can't really tell you if they are vents or breathers, because I haven't yet to remove them. The tcase and transmission are not linked, but they are in the same locations.

Joe23 likes this.
  11. Jun 6, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    how did you attach it to the ARB port after? Cause they're different sizes from the tubing provided and the fittings.

12. Jun 7, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    Judicar

Judicar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    I had no issues getting the provided tubing attached.

13. Jul 18, 2017 at 4:33 AM
    Kennedyusmc

Kennedyusmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Pro
    Still waiting for it
    Bump-
    So we should only replace the silver caps as they are breathers... the other lbs are vents and don't require replacing?

14. Jul 18, 2017 at 4:36 AM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Was anybody successful in getting the 2 breathers extended from to firewall?

15. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM
    TRDZILA

TRDZILA MPS SUX

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian “”Keith””
    Kokomo Indiana
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 12 slightly lifted Tacoma
    Ripped off all four mudflaps. Scratches all down both sides 6112’s up front on 3rd notch 5100’s in back with Toytech 1” block Skids & sliders from SOS Concepts I got rid of the 1” block and put on Wheelers 1 1/2” progressive AAL. SPC UCA. Be sure your standing on the drivers side when reading the instructions! I swapped sides so many times that I can swap UCA’s in 15 minutes. I put in the 3/4” spacer to eliminate the Taco Lean, and just got my 4th alignment. Traded the OEM rims for 17” Sport rims and a bora bora 1” spacer. I got my Firestone 285/70/17 MT2’s. Pelfreybilt gas tank skid and hi-lift jack should be here Friday. Looking at bumpers, but I think they will wait for next year. So far I’m happy with my build. I’ve done it all myself, leading to a lot of cussing and frustration, but it’s all mine.
    So where are the bullshit links for the 2nd gens? I need those.

16. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:59 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    TRDZILA[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jul 20, 2017 at 9:32 AM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    Still trying to figure out how to get to the 3 breathers above tranny but below the firewall. I got the 2 by the battery. And the rear diff.

18. Aug 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    Steventura86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    Finally got to finish up the transfer case and transmission. Please correct me if I got this wrong, but this is was I got from diagrams and doing this without instructions.

IMG_3962.jpg
    Transfer case
    IMG_3970.jpg
    breathers and clamps removed
    IMG_3968.jpg
    Combined the trasnfercase breathers
    IMG_3960.jpg
    Transmission breather once removed from the clamps
    https://youtu.be/zQQZnEDbX2k

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    taco 16 likes this.
  19. Aug 14, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    Steventura86

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR
    You can pop the white cap transmission breather off the bracket and go under the truck to remove the breather.

20. Aug 14, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    Braves95

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    How did u get to those?

To Top