1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end clunking when off paved roads

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HumanityForPresident01, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Apr 30, 2017 at 4:21 AM
    HumanityForPresident01

HumanityForPresident01 [OP] Let 'er eat

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    2006 Dark Blue Tacoma V6 SR5 EXT Cab TRD Off Road
    2.5" rancho 9000xl lift with UCA's, custom rock sliders, custom rear tube bumper, road armor front bumper, k&n air intake, winch, lights etc.
    Hey there everyone, i've got another issue i cant quite figure out!

when i'm driving on any surface that isn't paved i hear this clunking in the front end. I can feel it slightly in the steering wheel which makes me think its the steering rack...
    This truck was in some type of accident i'm still trying to figure out just what happened. the previous owner didn't tell me exactly what happened, but the passenger rocker up close to the tire is dented as fuck, the BED is pushed out on the passenger side close to the cab by a half inch, the steering wheel is SLIGHTLY crooked to the right, and the damage that was done before the owner had it replaced the parts was the passenger quarter panel, the windshield, passenger headlight, some stuff under the hood like coolant reservoir, maybe the windshield washer. I think he might have hit a tree stump or something, whatever it was hit the front and went under neath. I had tie rod work done last summer and went back to toyota three times to try and fix the crooked steering wheel that I thought was from their incompetence on the alignment rack but my alignment is right on...

second is a loud ass vibration that i can feel in the pedals, the windshield, the dash, my door, the floor etc. It comes very noticable only at 60mph+ Last night however i did hear it at 50mph+ just not as loud. It seems to me like wind has an affect on it. When gusts hit me on the highway it gets louder for a second until the gust pisses off. It stays the same pitch, a very low pitch vvvvvrrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvv [best text description i can give for the noise]. its not a constant vibration, it seems to be intermittent, seemingly to get more intense with wind gusts.
    i want to think its something simple, but i know its not. Anyone have some kind words of a suggestive manor, im all ears!

thanks everyone
    :facepalm:

2. Apr 30, 2017 at 5:24 AM
    dipstiktaco

dipstiktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD off road access cab auto URD supercharged
    Clunk is most likely a ball joint or swaybar link. As for the other noise I'd check your wheel bearings.

3. Apr 30, 2017 at 5:26 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Balljoint is a good answer. Control arm bushings as well.

Do you know if the frame was bent?

4. Apr 30, 2017 at 1:21 PM
    Milan

Milan Member

Member:
    First part is most likely ball joints.

As for the second, when that 'vibration' happens, do you happen to have a window down? My truck does the same thing at higher speeds when a window is down. Everything vibrates and it makes my ears/head hurt. It is crazy bad. I have a 2012 DC.

5. May 2, 2017 at 2:06 AM
    HumanityForPresident01

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    2.5" rancho 9000xl lift with UCA's, custom rock sliders, custom rear tube bumper, road armor front bumper, k&n air intake, winch, lights etc.
    you know im starting to think so. the truck was in some accident off road. in my first post i noted all the things that were replaced before i bought it. i was underneath last weekend adjusting my bumper and i noticed a bolt that was bent on the front right portion of where the aftermarket bumper is connected. Its either the bold thats bent or the fricking frame. and the worst part about that is that the frame is brand new!!! it was replaced in '14 and dosent even have any rust on it. The control arms were replaced, the rear differential, all the bolts and nuts were replaced. would you think its the upper or lower ball joints making that noise?

The vibration happens when the windows are up or down. and when the wind gusts, the noise gets slightly louder.

6. May 2, 2017 at 2:19 AM
    HumanityForPresident01

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    The passenger bearing was replaced before i bought the truck. Today i'm going to have someone drive my truck while i sit in the passenger side and see if the vibration sounds any different in the passenger side. My first guess when i started to get mad about the vibration was the drivers side bearing. I've been a skateboarder for over 17 years and I've had numerous bearing get loud from no lubrication, fail, not spin right, or get rusted. I have heard some WEIRD sounds coming from skateboard bearings and I really suspect my drivers side bearing to be the culprit.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions!

7. May 2, 2017 at 4:07 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    If you suspect it take it to a frame shop they can check it

8. May 2, 2017 at 6:42 AM
    justdoit

justdoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    22' 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road
    Isn't there a gap that is in the steering block that some need a zip tie to fix? I know I get a clunk but haven't did the zip tie trick yet.

9. May 2, 2017 at 8:49 AM
    stickyTaco

stickyTaco Fuck Cancer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Reno/Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD-OR
    Fox/Dakar with Relentless goodies and stuff
    If it is a failing wheel bearing, the driver's side will get louder when making a right turn and passenger side will get louder when making a left turn.

10. May 2, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    HumanityForPresident01

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Vehicle:
    never heard of this... any other info?

11. May 2, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    justdoit

justdoit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    22' 4x4 AC TRD Off-Road

Products Discussed in

To Top