1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel filter connections leaking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by boostedka, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    boostedka

boostedka [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    So in the midst of my S/C install I thought I'd put a new fuel filter on as well to help with fuel delivery. And after I installed the filter and started up the truck it was leaking like a MF'er at the rear connection of the filter. So I removed it to put the old one back on for comparison and it slightly leaked from the front side connection. I then put the new one back on again this time connecting the rear connection first and now it's leaking the same way just out the front side now! (frustrating mad_f93fb64f5d9bd6f092f7729729622317857fbdf1.gif) I tried disconnecting/reconnnecting like a zillion times and can't get the shit to stop.

Has anyone else had this issue? And can give me some tips on how to keep it from leaking?

I thought of this whole project this would be the simplest task and it's turning out to be the only thing holding me back. Any help is appreciated

2. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    tacotrd647

tacotrd647 Resident "dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Ridgeway, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    KMC Enduro Wheels, 265/75/16 toyo open country at2
    I'm trying to think if thread tape would work or not.

If all else fails..nothing holds like a cross-thread.:D

3. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    NO!!

Gas eats just about anything. Teflon included. And fuel fittings are not designed to seal at the threads. The threads are only there to create pressure on the sealing surfaces. That may be a flare fitting or a banjo fitting with copper washers.

Please don't use teflon. That has fire written all over it!

4. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
  5. Mar 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    From reading Alpha's earlier experience, I'd recommend you unbolt the filter from it's bracket while trying to line up the threads on the fittings. Always harder to line things up and keep from cross threading if the filter is already bolted down.

I deleted my earlier post, looks like no copper washers on a first gen Tacoma filter.

6. Mar 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    186000mps

186000mps ..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma V6 4WD
    Bilstein 5100's, Toytec front adjustable coilover kit, Exporear leafs, Fox resi rears, Slotted & Drilled front rotors, 33x12.50 BFG ATs on Outlaw II 15 x 10s, Bushwacker cutout flares, K&N cold air intake with aluminum sheathing water baffles, ARB bumper with XD9000 winch with wireless remote, IPF 900XS lights, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust, Rhino bed liner, UWS gullwing toolbox with tools and recovery gear. 48" Hi-Lift Jack secured under toolbox.
    I changed my fuel filter on my first gen a few months ago. It would not stop leaking as well. The day I did it it was about 15 degrees out and the gas on my hands was cold as hell. I put a bucket under it and came back at it the next day. They are flare fittings. I cleaned the ends of the in and out tubes (connected to the truck) and tried again. Getting the rear on wasn't so bad but then the front was a bitch. I finally got them both started before torquing them down. I used an open end wrench on the filter and a flare nut wrench on the fitting and tightened them until they bottomed out. They finally sealed. I thought it was going to be a simple operation in the beginning but it really was quite an ordeal.

7. Mar 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    boostedka

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:

Thanks. I had actually just come across your thread a couple min ago through google. Looks like I'll try to disconnect it from the bracket first then tighten the shit out of that front fitting. I'm hesitant of disconnecting if alltogether since I have the back fitting nicely secured.

I can tell by just eyeballing it that it seems like the front fitting needs to still go in slightly more compared to the rear. Hopefully I can get that shit all tightened up in the morning. I gave up on it for the day. Been wrenching since 8AM :eek:

Thanks for the quick input everyone.

8. Mar 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    Captarm

Captarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Armand
    Maine and Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Silver/Black, Tinted windows
    Leather Arm Rest Firestone Ride-rite K&N oil air Filter Wet Okole Black/Gray w heated seats Alpine CDE-123 receiver w Blue tooth,MP3,USB port AP Rock-sliders Viper Auto starter, should have gotten with alarm Anytime Fogs NOKYA7626 yellow lights Muth Heated, Signal Mirror Leer Cap Silver stream line top Differential Breather Mod
    The newer Tacoma don't have fuel filter, it's call a fuel sock in it's in the f&@":;g gas tank. Another bone head move by Toyota

9. Mar 24, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    boostedka

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    I just wanted to post a follow up to help out anyone that may have this same issue in the future.

I got the leak fixed this morning!!! :D:D
    I took out that 10mil bolt that holds the filter in the bracket and kept the cab mount bolts loose as well so the filter could sort of hang freely. Then I just loosed the front filter connection and tightened it up a couple of times and it was ALL GOOD :cool:

Thanks again for all the help.

Products Discussed in

To Top