1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 2 Rear Leaf Spring Bracket Bent??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by illini_Taco_Guy, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Mar 11, 2018 at 7:32 PM
    illini_Taco_Guy

illini_Taco_Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Owner of many tacos
    blue chew
    Hi all,
    I recently bought a:
    2x4
    2.7L
    5-speed manual
    base model
    125K mi
    VIN: 5TENX22N58Z552790

I was going to install Roadmaster Active Suspension helper springs (model MK4 - XEDSAT) since we have a topper on the back and will be hauling around 4-600 additional lbs most of the time. (freaking loading a couple dogs in the bed I feel the tail end sag down for cryin out loud, so unassisted leafs is def a no-go).
    All my research says these are the best and are used in commercial/fleet applications.

So im starting to tension these down and something just isnt right. I start taking a look at the rear leaf spring mount (Where the shackle mounts to the frame) and it looks bent as a mofo !

I took the helper kit off and driving it around stock atm.
    Right side appears to be much worse than the left
    Attaching some pics (plain stock w/o any helper springs/aftermarket stuff) to see what yall think, and what can be done!?!

note- the leaf wants to sit level, the mount appears to be bent crooked, and the shackle/bushing seem to be accounting for the massive angle difference

left 01.jpg left 02.jpg left level.jpg right 01.jpg right 02.jpg right level.jpg

That last pic with the level really tells the tale.

2. Mar 11, 2018 at 7:41 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I don't know if the level is the right tool unless you zero it so that the frame really is level, but I get what you're trying to show. It's not unheard of to bend the shackle hanger but I think it's usually from dragging it over rocks.

But if yours are bent from perhaps just the constant load beating them up, BAMF and @JLee have your solution.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/hd-shackle-hangers.496200/

3. Mar 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    illini_Taco_Guy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Owner of many tacos
    blue chew
    More Info

this thread has the only pictures I could find on the internet of this same bracket https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/dealer-forgot-to-put-nut-on-leaf-spring-bolt.457601/

And this diagram is all I could find on the actual part:

https://parts.diamondtoyota.com/a/Toyota_2008_Tacoma-Base-Standard-Cab-Pickup-27L-MT-RWD/_51506_5969489/FRAME--COMPONENTS-WO-PRERUNNER/8512100.html

its #13 on the diagram...which is unlisted....

more good news:

the bracket is riveted to the frame

I really don't want to jerk around with replacing leaf spring shackles and stuff...I did that project on our gen1 and wow, it was a royal pita, as demonstated by the thread of the dude who recovered a totally demolished gen1 truck and bit*ched about that one part of the job...wow
    IMG_4011.jpg
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/1st-gen-tacoma-complete-frame-swap.499441/#post-15526549

4. Mar 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    illini_Taco_Guy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Owner of many tacos
    blue chew
    does not appear to have struck anything from below.
    rear bumper is also bent down, so suspecting the prior owner put WAY TO MUCH weight on it an one point and effed it up.

the level was all I had, and yeah not super effective, but more for just eyeballing how bent it was, and comparing to the other side.

man, they don't give them away do they?

I will research these further. Thanks!

anyone install these? level of difficulty?

Important question: WILL THESE (BAMF hangers) WORK FOR THE 5 LUG FRAME? (non prerunner non 4x4) I would like it to be as close to stock as possible...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. Oct 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    MrAwsum

MrAwsum New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2015 black dbl cab
    none yet
    did you find any of these brackets. I have a salvaged 2015 and need to replace one and can not find them.

Products Discussed in

To Top