1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going to buy, what should I pay??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MattnBeckynLaci, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Feb 28, 2007 at 7:26 PM
    MattnBeckynLaci

MattnBeckynLaci [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello everyone. been lurking around for a month or so doing some research on the truck I want to get.

Going to buy a 07 Silver TRD sport dbl cab, 4x4, limited slip, 6 cd (not jbl), tow package taco. Local dealers (San Antonio) are saying $27,900 (internet special). How does that sound to you?

thanks,
    Matt

2. Feb 28, 2007 at 7:51 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    Hopefully you will get them to come down at least 2k off the internet price.. I got them to come down 3k on my internet price! I got up to leave twice until I was happy with the final number $$$... Good LUCK!

3. Mar 1, 2007 at 3:50 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    That is an okay price for retail. Remember, though, there is a huge mark-up difference between retail and invoice pricing.
    I would say that you should be able to get them down at least $2000. The one thing to remember with dealers:

DONT SETTLE!

They want to make a sale more than you want to buy the truck. Don't be afraid to tell them what you want AND what you want to pay for it. Don't be afraid to walk out. They will see this as an opportunity to give you more.

Plug the options that you want into http://autos.yahoo.com or http://autos.msn.com and see what the dealer invoices the vehicle for. You can usually get them to come a few hundred dollars above that.

I have heard of members on here going through their dealership's fleet sales department and getting a Tacoma (or other Toyota) well under invoice. These guys are just looking to show that they are selling vehicles. I did not got this route, so I cannot speak for its wonders. I was able to get my truck here in Houston for $600 over invoice.

Remeber: You do not have to pay for anything more than the truck.

- NO special insurance through their finance department
    - NO sound shield, chrome package, or door sill guards that you don't want
    - NO extended life tire package (I made this mistake - now I can't choose tires w/o voiding the warranty :mad: )
    - NO extended warranties that you don't want

You get the truck you want. DON'T SETTLE and DON'T PAY FOR WHAT YOU DON'T WANT! GOOD LUCK!!!

4. Mar 1, 2007 at 3:54 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
  5. Mar 1, 2007 at 4:44 AM
    sak3358

sak3358 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think it's a bit high. I have a '07 Sport TRD Dbl Cab, 2 Wheel drive, with the tow package, nerf bars and JBL scheduled for April purchase. Base without the Tax/License is $24,480. I did the internet solicitation and asked for dealers best price. Been saving for 2 years to go in, drop off my 2000 VW Passat and walk out with a vehicle with no debt attached. Now I'm not afraid to get up and go some place else if they try to play games. The Passat drives just fine, and Tacoma Mark is right, your in the drivers seat with the deal.

6. Mar 1, 2007 at 5:28 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    The big difference with his cost and yours is the 4WD. That adds about $1200 to the equation. Add that on top of your $24,480 (which is a great deal. Congrats!) and you get $25,680. That isn't far from the $2000 we said he could get off of it. I think he can walk away with paying $25,900 and consider it a deal.

sak3358, it is too bad about your Passat. I really like those cars. I have had VWs for years, and I really miss my TDI Jetta. I know that your new Tacoma will be everything you need it to be!

Matt, GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it goes!

7. Mar 1, 2007 at 7:27 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    It sounds like a pretty good deal and I agree that you should be able to get them down to about 26K. Good luck.

8. Mar 1, 2007 at 8:16 AM
    sak3358

Member:
    I thought about the 4WD and came to realize that in all the 4WD vehicles I've owned (3) I've only used it may be 7 times. Couldn't justify the added expense for the opition. Only reason I'm selling the Passat is because at 105K I need a new timing belt. The labor alone is about $2K. It's a fun car, lots of zip and comfort, but the expense of the timing belt pushed it over the edge.

9. Mar 1, 2007 at 9:21 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I understand what you mean on BOTH accounts. I sold my TDI because it had 250K+ on it, and I didn't want to keep it up (little things on VWs cost a bunch. i.e. - dash bulbs :( ). I had a 4WD Scout, a 4WD Suburban (86'), and an AWD Subaru. Between all of them I only used 4WD 3 times (the Subaru was full-time AWD), and that was just to get in trouble. :devil:

I decided a limited slip rearend would do just fine on my PreRunner.

10. Mar 1, 2007 at 9:31 AM
    sak3358

Member:
    Getting back to the start of this thread.....got side tracked there......I was at the dealership this last week. I saw the truck you've described, TRD Sport, with a long bed. It has $400.00 in dealer "bling", which brought it up to $31K. The $27.9K you mentioned is about right with the "no haggle" policy. I would doubt you'd get it less, but you could try. Never know if you don't try. I did the same thing, did all the comparisons, went to all the dealers (Ford, Chevy, Nissan and Honda) and test drove the vehicles. Although, I could get a little more in some vehicles, I felt comfortable in the Taco, ergo why I've ordered one and accept delivery on 10 - 14 April. Can't wait. Good Luck on your dealings!

11. Mar 1, 2007 at 1:03 PM
    MattnBeckynLaci

Member:
    Thanks for replying everyone. I am going to start them off at 25000.00 and will go from there. This has been the best forum I have ever posted on, and that is a credit to every one of you who replied.

thanks,
    Matt

12. Mar 1, 2007 at 2:17 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    here's my two cents: if you are happy with the dealer regardless of service i say go for it but if you want a couple of dealers who can offer you a better deal then by all means take a chance :)

13. Mar 1, 2007 at 10:45 PM
    chazms

chazms Member

Member:
    I was just quoted the exact same truck two days ago (2007 dbl cab 4x4 trd sport package and tow package, manual) for 24,900 before tax and lisencing. That was the invoice price minus the $1000 dolars that they reduce in the fleet sales department and then the $500 rebate.

14. Mar 2, 2007 at 4:04 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Thanks for the comment! My mother always said, "Flattery will get you everywhere..." Of course, I thought she was joking. :p

Best of luck on your purchase! Let us know how it goes!

15. Mar 2, 2007 at 4:05 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    AHA!!! You were the one with the fleet sales purchase! I couldn't find that thread to save my life! :rolleyes: Thanks for responding.

16. Mar 4, 2007 at 4:40 AM
    MattnBeckynLaci

Member:
    Just bought the new truck last night. Thanks for helping me on what I should offer.

I got exactly what I wanted : Silver TRD Sport, 4x4, auto, 6cd system-not JBL.

This truck is beautiful. I would have slept in it, but it got a little chilly last night.

thanks again.
    Matt

17. Mar 4, 2007 at 8:45 AM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    Congrats! Post up pics when you can!

18. Mar 4, 2007 at 8:46 AM
    A2Mich

A2Mich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jackson, Michigan
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Double Cab PreRunner SR5 V6 TRD Sport
    Tube steps, Toyota Bug Shield, Lund Tonneau
    Yeah, but these trucks have great HEATERS:D So what did you end up paying, if you don't mind us asking.... As long as you got a deal you're happy with, that's all that matters.

19. Mar 4, 2007 at 8:48 AM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    Tell us what a deal you got? $$$ Did you get a good bit off the price? CONGRATS... I felt the same way... I wanted to sleep in my truck the first night I got it also!

20. Mar 4, 2007 at 12:23 PM
    MattnBeckynLaci

Member:
    27,400 . The wifey is already contemplating which toyota she will be getting in a couple years. I will post some pics as soon as I can. I can honestly say I have never owned a vehicle quite like this. I used to day dream abou this moment. I used to daydream about the moment I would say "We'll take it". It was funny, because when that moment hit last night, my palms got sweaty and my voice cracked, I got real nervous....I never knew a vehicle could be this hot.

Products Discussed in

To Top