1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Did my 17x9 wheel decision come back to bite me?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by STLTaco09, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Jun 23, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    Thanks. Good to hear. I have run several sets of Revos and they are the best tires I have ever used, including many sets of BFG AT's. Agree also that they are fine on 9' rims but the tread looks a bit narrow on that wheel IMO. How much clearance at the UCA? I ordered Classic II's which are 5" backspacing so although M/T professes them to fit, that is a concern. I just dropped off my truck this morning for TSB springs and have 5100's sitting in the garage so hopefully, the rubbing issues will be less for me.

2. Jun 23, 2009 at 9:23 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    Haven't checked the UCA clearance yet, doesn't rub though.

Like I mentioned before, those pictures don't to it justice. It's funny how skinny the tread looks and how crappy the sidewall looks. It just looks different/better in person. Looks like the tire fits the wheel. But I know what you mean, 9" is pushing it in the width department.

3. Jun 24, 2009 at 3:04 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Looks good, hard to tell from both our pics, but I think my tread actually comes out farther from the fender. Strange that yours rubs towards the rear and mine rubs at the front, I'm going to have to inspect mine and see how close I am to the mud flap area, could be fine since I removed them already. Mine also isn't a constant rub, only when the suspension is compressed and turning, when parked level and full turn the tires don't rub on anything so its been hard to figure out the areas, but I've noticed wear marked on the front area.

What PSI are you running? How do they feel so far?

4. Jun 24, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    Haven't had a chance to check PSI yet, its just whatever they inflated them to when they installed them.

I can definitely tell a difference in the ride compared to my old dueler H/T. The sidewall seems stiffer, therefore the ride too. I really like it though - it feels confident and sturdy. Definitely can't hear them at all going down the road, of course that may change as they wear.

I can't really tell by the pics either about the tread, but I have read that the Terra Grapplers do have a pretty wide tread. I wouldn't be surprised if they do stick out. If you feel like measuring the actual tread width, I can do the same just for comparison purposes.

Last night I trimmed those nubs on the mud flaps a bit more. Now it just rubs sometimes. I'm trying to think of a way to fill in that hole now. I almost need an epoxy that dries like hard plastic. I can just fill in that hole, smooth it out, and call it a day.

5. Jun 24, 2009 at 5:06 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Check the PSI, they probably have it too high and if so then lowering it a little will help the stiff ride. I'm running around 35psi, they had them at 45 and I could definately tell a difference. If you aren't sure then look up the chalk test.
    I think I will measure the width and also measure straight down from the top of the fender to see how far they stick out. I'm going to see if I can do the trimming this weekend, I'll take pics then.

I'm sure you can find something to fill the hole, I just don't know what its called.

Glad you like your choice, I like how those wheels compliment a silver truck.

6. Jun 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    Well, the guy @ 4wp trimmed more off b/c of potential "flapping" of what was originally trimmed. He said I might be able to hear something flapping in the wind eventually, so he decided to cut more off. It didn't need to be and that lining does nothing anyways, so I told him to do it.

7. Jun 25, 2009 at 3:52 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    Good deal. I think I'm going to trim mine myself this weekend, my bf is supposed to get the tools for me. I'll take pics if I do. ;)

8. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:07 AM
    Simon2150

Simon2150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 SR5
    All the guy used that did mine was a utility knife.

9. Jun 25, 2009 at 5:10 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    I'll cut a finger off if I try that myself :eek:. We are getting a dremel set, I have to do some trimming on my atv also so I figured might as well cut up the truck while I'm at it :D.

I did look yesterday and noticed I have rub marks on the front area as well as the area where the mud flap attaches, but not much.

Products Discussed in

To Top