1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hi guys; I am looking for a tailgate bracket>

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Motu, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mar 22, 2009 at 3:01 AM
    Motu

Motu [OP] New Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma PreRunner
    I have a 2009 tacoma with the optional backup camera mounted in the tailgate handle. Neat idea but I should have known there would be a drawback to the novelty; lol. Since I am a structural welder and fabricator for a major bus collision facility; I have been backing buses around for the last 18 years and have yet to 'hit something'. So the actual advantage of me having a little cam in the back of my truck to 'tell me where I am' is minimal at best; hahaha.

If I would have thought about it a little 'quicker' I would have opted for no camera so that I could buy the aftermarket locking tailgate handle. Toyota wasn't quick enough on this one to remember that there are people that like to 'Borrow' Toyota truck parts............uh.. like 1000 dollar tailgates with cameras mounted in them. << So they have no security options at this time. And the Canadian Company that makes the locking accessory handles has yet to finish tooling up to make a handle that can accomodate both the backup cam and the locking handle.

So here I am with a tailgate that can be removed from my truck in 15 seconds. At Longo Toyota in El Monte California; the parts guys told me the Canadian company is rushing to address this problem(so they can make money for selling handles no doubt; since Toyota isn't doing it).

The Parts guys mentioned to me they are sure somebody has already come out with a Anti Theft Bracket that attaches to the lower left hingepoint to keep the tailgate from being 'boosted' soo darn easy. But the bad news is they could not remember the online link to the site selling this 'anti theft bracket'???

Since I work in Los Angeles at night; if anybody that may have this information could steer me in the correct direction before somebody ends up on the corner in South Central trying to sell my tailgate for a few hundred; I would really appreciate it; I really would.

Thanks in advance and PS I LOVE the truck. I just spent the last 12 years driving a 97 Ford F150. And although the truck was good to me, this Tacoma is winning me over waaaay better and faster than I had ever imagined. Because of this I feel even more compelled to Keep all the Pieces together; lol.

Being in the Bodyshop trade for the last 36 years; I have good knowledge of how fast things can vanish<<<>>>even right outside the restaurant where you might be eating; even with 'lot security'; lol

Actually not that funny since the Toyota parts guys told me a New Tailgate with back up cam costs a 1000 bucks!

I really need to find that aftermarket anti theft bracket.. No doubt I could install it myself.

Thanks in advance if you guys read this far; lol. I could use the help

from Mo in San Pedro

2. Mar 22, 2009 at 4:43 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    Here is link for the Gate Keeper. They could still get the gate off but would need a special tool that came with the kit. I have been waiting since Oct for the Pop & Lock kit and delivery keeps getting pushed back.

I did a DIY deterrent. I put hose clamps around the hinge points then put heat shrink tubing over the hex clamp head so a hex driver won't fit. I filled the slot with JB Weld so you can't use a screw driver. So to get my gate off you have to cut the heat shrink off and have a hex head screw driver. Not theft proof but maybe will slow them down enough that it will discourage a thief.

Another option is to get am '05 - '08 tailgate handle, swap it for the '09 and use the appropriate Pop & Lock.

BTW, there is a Group Buy thread for the Pop & Locks. Linky: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...-lock-tailgate-lock-ends-april-08-2009-a.html

Rick

http://www.jimmijammer.com/GK%20Inst%20Tutorial,%20Toyota%20Tacoma.htm

To Top