1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How Often Should You Change Your Timing Belt?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by REDeye jedi, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Apr 7, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    10 yrs.

I have yet to hear of one breaking from mileage.....evidently, 10 yrs. is erring on the side of caution too.

On the other hand this is prob. the easiest vehicle there is to change on since the Ford Pinto.

If you have an impact and/or breaker bar to remove Harm. Balcr w/o the holding tool and a 6"-8" wobble extension to get the tensioner w/o dropping compressor bracket, all the better.

Just a Sat. afternoon job. Drain and remove the radiator, you'll have a ton of room.

GQ7227 and REDeye jedi[OP] like this.
  2. Apr 7, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    REDeye jedi

REDeye jedi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Palm Springs
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma prerunner 3.4l
    mines ticking close to 19 years so I think it's about time. Well, its an 01 and I bought it in 04. Not sure if it was done then.

3. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I just had mine done at 89k miles but it was the original belt (16 yrs old). Figured it was past the time limit and coming up on the mileage limit so I didn't want to take any risks

REDeye jedi[OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:23 AM
    slickyd

slickyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    hey guys got my truck when it had 114,000 miles on it and im not sure if it had the timing belt replaced before i bought it. The truck now has just over 300,000 miles should i change it or see how long i can go? Im thinking of seeing how long it will last.

5. Apr 9, 2020 at 8:21 AM
    Gen1FTMFW

Gen1FTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 3.4 TRD "Stock AF" & 2006 GX470 Sport
    You could test the longevity if you want. The 3.4 is a non-interference engine, so you'll do no harm if the timing belt goes. The true benefit IMO is the inspection/replacement of the other parts while you're there (water pump, cam/crank seals, timing belt tensioner, fan bracket, idler pulleys, accessory belts etc).

1997tacomav6 and GQ7227 like this.
  6. Apr 9, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    You like to live dangerously eh?

You can do it. Worst that will happen is it peels apart rather than breaks and takes out other stuff.

Or dies right when you really need power steering.

7. Apr 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    The wheels/covers certainly didn't help it's 'look' but that's really not a bad looking car to today's standard. My Dad had one too for work and he tried to talk me into taking it when I got out of H.S. but I wanted a Mustang. When the Mustang came to his house he looked at it and said I didn't exactly make a big change and that my car was basically, a Pinto with a 5.0 in it. He was right really. BTW: That Mustang was a real POS. Rusted to nothing by the early '90s and that was a mercy.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    cruiserguy and GQ7227[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Apr 9, 2020 at 9:06 AM
    WISCOMA

WISCOMA Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma, 4x4, XTRA CAB, TRD OFF-ROAD
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks, OME 881 Coils, 1.5" Progressive AAL, U-Bolt filp, Front Differential Drop, Afermarket front skid plate, Extended Rear Brake line, BPV Extender, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Gray Wire Mod, Rear Frame Plates, Extended Rear Axle Breather, NGK Plugs and Wires, E-Locker Guard.
    The first or second option will probably work for pulling the harmonic balancer once you remove the bolt. You'll need to ensure you have (2) M8 Metric Bolts with a 1.25 Pitch, 100mm long with washers. *This is the correct threading for the two bolt holes on the harmonic balancer.

The second option you listed is a puller kit, which will NOT work for holding the Harmonic Balancer in place when breaking the bolt loose. There is a lot of force applied when breaking that bolt free and you need the special tool along with a breaker bar jammed up against your frame to prevent any movement. It's hard to find a substitute for this part, I just sucked it up and bought the tool. If that doesn't work for you then consider a home made option. I've seen some posts about people making their own tool using a 2x4 board acting at the breaker bar, then drilling a large hole near one end for access to the crank bolt and two smaller holes for access using the M8 bolts to hold the Harmonic Balancer. Or welding plate metal to a holding bar and drilling access holes for the crankshaft bolt and the M8 bolts. Seems like a bunch of fucking around and wasting more time to save a little money to me....to each their own though. I prefer less headaches when doing these types of jobs so buy the correct tool for one less headache.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/homemade-crank-pulley-tool.140646/

The last seal driver will NOT work because the driving surface is entirely flat. This does not allow the camshaft and crankshaft end to slide through the center of the tool. Hard to explain by typing... watch the video when Timmy is inserting the new seal and see what I'm trying to describe.
    Here is the tool I rented from Autozone
    https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...haft-and-camshaft-seal-service-kit/387717_0_0

Hope this can help. Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  9. Apr 9, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    WISCOMA

WISCOMA Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma, 4x4, XTRA CAB, TRD OFF-ROAD
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks, OME 881 Coils, 1.5" Progressive AAL, U-Bolt filp, Front Differential Drop, Afermarket front skid plate, Extended Rear Brake line, BPV Extender, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Gray Wire Mod, Rear Frame Plates, Extended Rear Axle Breather, NGK Plugs and Wires, E-Locker Guard.
  10. Apr 9, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    Harmonic balcr. usually comes off by hand once you break the bolt, the bolt is easiest to break by using the starter and Toyota seals are pretty fool proof about installing easy with PVC pipe. Anything short of pounding them in with a screwdriver actually.

It is strange, it's hard to make a Toyo. leak and yet motorcycle seals can be done with lots of factory tools and they still may take 3 tries to get one to hold oil. Maybe because they spin things so fast. :notsure:

REDeye jedi[OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    REDeye jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Palm Springs
    Vehicle:
    Got you. Thanks for that. I think you're right. Im going to fork out the harmonic balancer. Im into saving money but not interested in making the tool myself. I completely understand about the seal driver working. I didn't think about that. I saw timmys video and know what you're talking about. Thats an interesting method that Cruz said about tapping them in w pvc pipe.

12. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:11 PM
    REDeye jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Palm Springs
    Vehicle:
    I like that trick about the pvc. Are there any downfalls about using the starter to break the harmonic balancer?

13. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    Kiloyard

Kiloyard Road Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 3.4L SR5 4X4 400K miles
    Toytec Boss/Eibach Coils & Deaver J59's
    Rotating parts could lead to injury if you're not careful. Also you don't want to actually start the engine while trying this.

My vote is to use an impact gun, but that method requires you to take the radiator out to have clearance.

14. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    REDeye jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Palm Springs
    Vehicle:
    You just turn the key to make the starter kick in correct? I would use an impact gun. But I don't own one strong enough for this job

15. Apr 9, 2020 at 5:12 PM
    DonNH

DonNH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    90 xcab>01dcsb>14dclb sport
    Wow that brings back memories!
    Back in ‘77 when we were stationed in Omaha my dad bought a yellow ‘71 Pinto that looked just about like that.
    It was supposed to be my sister’s first car. She ended up not getting her license till much later, so I eventually ended up with it. Took my driver’s test with it in ‘79 and it kept me mobile all through college.
    Finally gave up on it in ‘86 when the mechanic doing the inspection failed it because a rear passenger’s feet would have only been held up by the carpet.
    Had already gone a couple major rounds of body work over the years and wasn’t interested in another.
    Was making enough money at that point that I could buy a brand spank in’ new Hyundai Excel when they first came out!

GQ7227[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 9, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    Yes, take out a fuse so it cant start.
    Put the bar against the frame and just bump the starter.
    I've done this on every vehicle successfully except old Hondas. As long as the breaker bar is tight all you'll hear is the bar falling to the ground, no "Whomp".

The drawback? You have to put it back on somehow. I always just rattle it on with blue Loctite. 100#+ 3-4 uuga duugas. It's a stout bolt, you won't break it unless you really are trying.

17. May 13, 2020 at 10:02 PM
    crazyczech2003

crazyczech2003 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double 4x4
    Stock, but not for long
    I have been searching for timing belt kits, I called the local dealer and they quoted the parts alone to be like $800. How is aircabinman selling the kit for his price when eBay is taking their pound of flesh as well. Clearly everyone trusts him and the kit, but just curious if I missing something obvious.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. May 13, 2020 at 11:21 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Dealer mark-ups are huge. No way the kit should cost even half of $800. They'd probably charge another $1k on top just for labor

GQ7227 likes this.
  19. May 14, 2020 at 3:00 PM
    REDeye jedi

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Palm Springs
    Vehicle:
    So the way aircabimman is way more affordable because they buy products in bulk through various reliable toyota parts dealerships and piece the kits together. Everything came in my package that was supposed to and everything is running as should as of now.

20. Jun 5, 2021 at 4:44 PM
    N.NV

N.NV Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 TACO 3.4L
    1997tacomav6 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top