1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Install OEM Hitch on 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Tacoma206, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jun 7, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    Tacoma206

Tacoma206 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    My truck did not come with the towing package or a tow hitch, but I wanted to add one in case I ever needed it. When it came to install it, I used the video (below) from the tacoma towing bible thread that can be found in this thread or on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ6t2IGpczU&feature=relmfu

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/4031-tacoma-towing-bible.html

The hitch in the video is a hidden hitch, not the factory hitch, which ended up being a little bit different. This write up will help you install your factory hitch to your 2nd Gen tacoma, not including the wiring.

Tools You Will Need:
    - A friend
    - Socket Wrench Set (extender is helpful along with Metric 17, 18, and 19 sockets)
    - A crescent wrench
    - Pliers
    - A good amount of space to work with good lighting
    - Your favorite beverage

First, you need to disconnect the wires from the truck to the bumper that control the license plate lights. To do this, use the pliers to pinch the clasp and separate (you might be able to use your fingers, if not, gently use the pliers).

[​IMG]

Next, You need to disconnect the bolts that hold the bumper to the brackets, and save the bolts because you will re-use them unless your hitch comes with new bolts if you buy it from toyota (I bought mine used). Once those bolts are removed, wiggle off your bumper with the help from a friend and set the bumper aside. Next, remove the bolts that hold the bracket to the frame.

[​IMG]

The bumper set aside (below)
    [​IMG]

Once, you have done this, it is time to get your hitch in place. You will notice that the hitch section that connects to the frame looks very similar to the original brackets. Set the hitch in place in the same manner as the original brackets and tighten the original bolts in the same slots they came from. (Note: the hitch I have had an additional supporting bracket that connected to holes in the bottom of the frame. These are shown in the photo. Simply connect the bracket and bolt into place).

[​IMG]

Once the hitch is connected to the frame, it is time to reattach the bumper. Simply align the bumper into position as with the original brackets and reattach the bumper using the original bolts. Don't forget to reconnect your license plate lights!

Note: If you run into the issue of your bumper not fitting onto the hitch, you may need to spread the width of the hitch arms by a little bit. I ran into this problem and used a reverse vice to spread the hitch tips in order to squeeze the bumper into position. Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

Here is the overall finished product

[​IMG]

2. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    meantaco

meantaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner. Gone,but not forgotten.
    Retrofit,bull bar,hellas and color matched grill.
    so it didn't come with spacers? side shot please

3. Jun 8, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    No it didn't. I'll get a pic up later tonight after I get out of class.

4. Jun 8, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    Tacoma206

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    Here are the pics of the hitch assembly flush against the frame and bolted on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    g7evans

g7evans Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC SB
    im getting ready to purchase an aftermarket hitch to put on my 07 double cab. i put a uhaul hitch on my last truck and was happy with it but was looking online and found the hidden hitch.... anyone know the difference or if one of better?

Products Discussed in

To Top