1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To Remove CV Axle+Replace Front Wheel Bearing 2nd Gen

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KenpachiZaraki, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki [OP] Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Hey guys, I did this recently, took some pics, and i hope they help out. I did this with the help of a friend (mostly just so he could drive me to get the bearing pressed in. Jonathan-Nobody4343 on TW) so here goes, i might miss some stuff, but I'll try to explain as best i can from memory.

*Disclaimer* I am not responsible for any damage done to YOUR vehicle. This is solely for informational purposes. If you feel you can't do this, or are not mechanically inclined, I suggest you pay someone or have someone else do this for you. Thanks and enjoy!!

Tools that would be beneficial to your task at hand. Thanks for the knowledge input @Chickenmunga !

get your wheel off! 21mm impact or muscle, whichever you can do best

[​IMG]
    looks like so
    [​IMG]

cotter pin out, pull off retaining cap
    [​IMG]

35mm socket to take it off, its on there nice and tight, I locked my front diff to do this. just made it easier. Autozone has it for aboot 20 bucks
    [​IMG]
    remove ABS sensor 10mm socket
    [​IMG]
    remove brake line bracket 12 mm IIRC
    [​IMG]
    remove brake caliper bolts 14mm IIRC
    [​IMG]
    suspend caliper with wire/bungee/ or speaker wire:eek: and rotor should come off
    [​IMG]
    remove HUB Bearing assembly theres 4 total. 17 mm I believe. these are on tight (especially if you wheel and get dirt and crap on there)
    Use some P'Blaster or WD40 or Liquid Wrench overnight for best results (thanks toytaco!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cheated, used two wrenches to do it for leverage
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    STOP!!! Hammer Time!! Knocking around the HUB assembly will help with getting it loose from the spindle if theres junk
    not letting it come off.
    [​IMG]
    I put the cv axle nut back on to kinda keep the whole thing from falling off
    [​IMG]

Close up of the play i had in the bearing BEFORE i took it off or loosened it, you can see here that there is *some* play but that is more than enough for dirt/water to get in there and ruin your bearing especially if you like 4wheeling like I do.
    [​IMG]
    I used a big screw driver to help pry out the hub from the spindle, just be gentle and work around it a little at a time.
    [​IMG]
    BAM! off it comes!! You kinda have to go all the way around wiggling it off, but it will come off eventually
    [​IMG]
    This is what you're left with
    [​IMG]
    thats your bearing, which HAS to be pressed in, i haven't see a hub assemble *yet* that would make this much easier
    [​IMG]
    Disconnect upperball joint, tie rod end, lower shock bolt, and sway bar link. You will need to move the spindle to get the cv axle free
    [​IMG]
    you can see my cv boot torn in the back. the cv axle was 75 bucks i believe.(autozone) It beats 80 bucks at the dealer ship to replace JUST the cv boot. its just more work. Lower ball joints are shot too which I will end up replacing LOL
    [​IMG]
    You will have to angle/wrestle the old and new cv joint in and out of the spindle, but you can do it without hurting anything.
    Now to remove the CV joint, I rented the slide hammer with jaw attachments. all you need it slide hammer with ONE jaw/hook attackment and a hose clamp which you can get at Autozone as well.
    [​IMG]
    Fluids will leak out, make sure to have drain pan ready;)
    [​IMG]
    the hook attachment will hook onto the flat part on the cv axle. that's ALL you need. It comes out easy, or you can grunt your way to knock it loose with a big hammer. your choice. my way is easy.
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

Our good friend @nj636 has provided other tips on how to remove the cv axel incase others have a difficult time.

Thanks @nj636 ! Credit goes to you!

Now would be a good time to replace the seal if its shot. I didn't (stealership is 1hr away) but it didn't leak afterwards, just be sure not to jack it up with the end of the cv axle.
    [​IMG]
    there is a seal at the end of the axle as well, i reused these also (i know i'm cheap :laugh: )
    [​IMG]
    other end
    [​IMG]
    hammer of the seal lightly, it comes off easier that it goes on haha
    [​IMG]
    One side of the axle, the seal is huge. like i had to use 3"pvc pipe+coupling huge. the other side i used some sockets i had at work.

[​IMG]
    Drove it like this for 2+years!!!! Notice how dirty the grease is, but its a Tacoma, its not gonna break that easy!!
    [​IMG]

Installation is reverse of removal. Make sure to fill up your front diff, and your new bearing HAS to get pressed in. Usually machine shops can or welding shops will have a press. I costed me 30 bucks to get it pressed in which is about average. The hook method of removal will also work in putting back on the cv axle, but you'll need a second hand to center the new cv axle while another hammers that junk in haha.
    slide hammer attachement kit
    [​IMG]
    hook attachment
    [​IMG]
    Ball join adapter for getting on ONE of the seals (its the smaller of the two)
    [​IMG]
    The set
    [​IMG]
    I just stacked them to make sure the cv shaft didnt hit the socket while i hammered. ANother person does help here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok i'm tired. Any questions, please feel free to ask. I know others have done it around here so i'm sure they'll pitch in ideas and whatnot. I hope this helps everyone on TW. Thanks!!!:D

UPDATE: Hey guys I'm in the process of getting all the parts together for the driver's side bearing, as It seems I have to replace it already. I'm getting a groaning noise, very similar to the passenger side I replace. And it indeed WAS the pass side wheel bearing causing a groaning noise.
    I Might also add that my brakes were affected as well when the pass side wheel bearing was bad. It almost felt like the pedal would travel all the way down to the floor and sometimes it wouldn't. It seems i'm having the same symptoms again, so i'm going to replace the wheel bearing on the driver side, CV axle (for good measure) needle bearing, differential seal (mine seems to be leaking/wetting diff), and all the seals that are found on the cv axle itself.

If anyone can help me with part #'s for the seals on the axle itself i would greatly appreciate it. I'm going to do some calling around to see if i can get a complete parts list of all the stuff needed to replace cv axles, bearing etc. I have a few numbers right now, but i want to be more thorough in case anyone else has problems.

You can buy complete HUB assemblies here. Saves yourself an ass load of time, money and headaches. Make sure to get the seals while you're at it! Preventative maintenance! vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-4x2-prerunner-for-sale-complete-save.288055/

Part #'s
    CV axle - 665235 (cardone #) 10298(autozone)
    Both sides are the same #
    Needle Roller Bearing - 90364-35010 (Toyota Part #) This is for driver side.
    Wheel Bearing - B30(timken) DL515040 (Autozone) Both sides are same part #
    Differential Seal - 710419 (Timken) This is the seal that goes on/inside the differential
    Oil Seal(s) - 710477 inner (towards differential)
    710573 outer (towards wheel/hub bearing)

Thanks again @Chickenmunga for issuing the knowledge upon us with these pictures and part #'s

Like i said, I just want to be more thorough. I'm not an expert, but I do my own work and I can't stop learning. Thanks to all those that have contributed to this thread, hopefully, this will save someone some time in the future.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Wow great write up!

Thanks for posting.

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    No prob! I will be doing the Needle bearing replacement soon, I just need a few days off to do so, but The driver side bearing+cv axle+ needle bearing are next :cool: I got this!!;)

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    Nice work! Pictures always help :D

+1

As this is another issue I have to deal with myself, I look forward to your next write up!

5. Nov 24, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    nobody4343

nobody4343 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    hid headlights, black spyder jdm headlight housings, black jdm led spyder taillights, full led bulb swap, hid foglights, 3 inch pro comp lift, black out emblems, two 4 inch hid lights mounted behind the satoshi, wade vent visors, black westin nerf bars, black stubby antenna, k and n cold air intake, flowmaster delta 50 dual exhaust custom black tips, color matched satoshi grill with custom emblem
    :dancingbacon::dancingbacon:Took you long enough tonpost it but good write up alex

6. Nov 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    Haha, yea, figured out how to make the pics bigger so I made a write up finally. Thanks for helping me out! Wonder how I'll do the other side now! Maybe get Nate or Andrew to help me out! TW Bishes!! :laugh:

7. Nov 24, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    hid headlights, black spyder jdm headlight housings, black jdm led spyder taillights, full led bulb swap, hid foglights, 3 inch pro comp lift, black out emblems, two 4 inch hid lights mounted behind the satoshi, wade vent visors, black westin nerf bars, black stubby antenna, k and n cold air intake, flowmaster delta 50 dual exhaust custom black tips, color matched satoshi grill with custom emblem
    Tell Eric to help you since he thinks he know how to work and do it all

8. Nov 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    toytaco970

toytaco970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    avon/vail, co
    Vehicle:
    05 trd offroad 4x4
    Front: Icon IVD coated extended travel coilovers Rear: 5125's with AAL and 1" block. Front sway bar removed. Brute Force Fab bumpers AllPro stuff: UCAs , front skid plate, sliders, rear u-bolt flip kit, e-locker guard Kenwood/Garmin single DIN DVD-NAV system, amp and sub. V1 radar, Foglight anytime mod,
    Nice write-up and pics. I just did the same job on my taco about 2 months ago. I couldn't for the life of me get the damn axles out with a slide hammer. I ended up getting directly underneath them with a small 'wonderbar' prybar and slowly turned the axle with steady pressure on the pry-bar and they popped right out. I also sprayed the four wheel bearing housing bolts with PB Blaster the night before and they were very easy to unbolt.

9. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    Yea I know what you mean, I tried muscling the cv axle out, pfft yea right!! I remember i did it on my old nissan altima, but my dad end up using a hammer some how. Came off eventually :laugh:

10. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    If you didn't change the seal on the back of the spindle you're going to be right back in there replacing that bearing in about 20k miles. All that gunk inside the spindle shouldn't be there. It all comes through that inner seal. It's supposed to be dry inside. It's also very easy to remove the entire spindle and use it to hold the bearing/hub for pressing the old hub out with a shop press. A prybar works just as good as a slide hammer for popping the inner CV joint out of the diff also. And it's less violent. Decent writeup with good pics but you are really only showing half the job the thread describes. Of course unless you have a press you can't do the other half anyhow.

11. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Nice write up, rep sent!

12. Dec 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    BenWA

BenWA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston burbs
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Off Road 4X4
    Great write up. This will be very helpful to folks who want to replace their front diff side bearing. Thanks for putting this together.

+ rep

13. Dec 18, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    Well done!!! Thanks for sharing.

Rep sent my brother.

14. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    Sampson90

Sampson90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC LB
    Great Write up !!

15. Dec 19, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    Thanks guys! Hope it helps!

16. Dec 20, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I agree. No need to spend all that time and energy just to mess it up by not spending $7 on a simple gasket. The first puddle or mud hole you go through will fill it up or if your in the desert first dust storm.

Also OE CV's are the BEST available. If I tear a boot it gets replaced. I don't want that vatozone shit on my truck. It will break much easier then OE.

Good luck OP. I hope it lasts.

Also here is a DIY LCA BJ link. My biggest tip to provide is making sure your LCA is in good working order and the welds havent begun to crack. If they have just get new ones. Also might as well replace your cam bolts and bushings while your at it http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...oint-replacement-2005-tacoma.html#post3691540

17. Dec 20, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to use it! :D

18. Dec 20, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Is that CV a aftermarket one or a toyota cv???

19. Dec 20, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    Faryota

Faryota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mic
    Ridgefield, WA.
    Vehicle:
    13, 4x4, long bed, Sport, Debad
    6" BDS lift in front, warn winch, AFE cold air intake & exhaust, Body Armor Rear bumper, Tuffy in bed storage box, DZ bed mat, ARB front bumper & Warn winch w/light kit, Husky floor mats, dash mat,
    Hey thanks for taking the time to write & picture this one!!!! Nice!!! A big help, now I will try when the time comes....

20. Dec 20, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    nobody4343

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd offroad sr5
    I believe that shaft is considered aftermarket it's from vato zone haha I use to work with him

Products Discussed in

To Top