1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

idle speed after cleaning throttle body

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Blaze1404, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    Blaze1404

Blaze1404 [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    Dual-Exahust-K&N Cold Air Intake
    I just cleaned my throttle body today with carbeurator cleaner because it was idling rough. I put everything back together and put a new air filter on my K&N cold air intake and now it idles at 1.5k rpms in park and about 1k in drive. When I am decellerating down to around 10-15 mph until stopped(automatic transmission) it jerks like it wants to try and take off. I dont understand why my idling speed is high now and I dont think that its idling at the right rate. Please Help.

Aaron111 likes this.
  2. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    IslandBoy71

IslandBoy71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner Sport SR5 DC
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
    maybe you have a vacuum leak? Did you clean the MAF too?

RedWings44 and Aaron111 like this.
  3. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    AKTacoma

AKTacoma Dedicated Crew Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houma, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DCLB
    having a similar issue on my 1st gen, did you disconnect the battery when you cleaned it?

Aaron111 likes this.
  4. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    The ecu memory needs to be reset, disconnect the battery terminals for about 10min. Reconnect them and drive it for a few blocks, it will "re-learn" it's memory values

5. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    Blaze1404

Blaze1404 [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Whats the MAF?

6. Jul 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    IslandBoy71

IslandBoy71 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reggie
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner Sport SR5 DC
    TRD Intake,Flowmaster Super 10 exhaust, King 2.5 c/o adjusted to 3inch front and King 2.5 rears w/AAL. Custom bed rack, rock sliders and rear tire carrier.
  7. Jul 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    Blaze1404

Blaze1404 [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the help guys, I disconnected and reconnected the battery and everything worked fine. Its not idling rough anymore either ;)

8. Sep 4, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    LtHixson

LtHixson My Other Truck is an Engine

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Lubbock, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2014 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD SR5
    Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod
    I had a little down time at work with it being a holiday weekend, so I cleaned my MAF and throttle body last night per instructions on TW. The first time I started the truck afterward, it was idling at about 1800-2000 RPM. After numerous searches, I finally found this post.

I guess it would be like breathing through a straw your whole life, and finally somebody takes away the straw (cleans the MAF and throttle body) and all of a sudden you have to learn to not work so hard at breathing. Anyway, I'm off to disconnect my battery right now. (Mental note to me -- write down trip mileage first since it'll reset and I'm trying to keep accurate records to see what works for my MPG).

If it doesn't fix the problem for some reason, I'll be back on here. Otherwise, thanks!

9. Oct 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM
    photonashville

photonashville Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4x4 long bed with Leer
    Hate to resurrect this thread, but since it solved my problem today, I think it's a good reminder to others to disconnect the battery for a short while after a throttle body cleaning.

My TB was thick with muck and now shiny and clean at 116K miles. The truck idled and drove oddly until I disconnected the battery for the computer to reset. Drives great now.

Always a deserved 'Thank You' to the tacomaworld crowd!

wi_taco and REDdawn6 like this.
  10. Oct 16, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    photonashville

photonashville Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Silver 4x4 long bed with Leer
    /\ /\

-- strange double post --

11. Oct 25, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    toy4x4ota

toy4x4ota New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dallas
    reno
    Vehicle:
    stock 97 2.7l
    New to this site and I have to say that it has been a huge help already.

I just cleaned my throttle body on a 2000 2.7l (fully removed and scrubbed clean, even removed the IAC to prevent gunk getting in it) and my idle we stay at about 2000 and to 1100 RPMs. Just read through this thread and now I have disconnected my battery to reset the ECU. I hope this helps as I am selling the truck today and don't feel right taking money for something that won't even idle right. I will report back, and thanks again for all of the information.

Dallas

edit: just realized that this not the right section for this post, hope this technique works anyways.

12. Oct 25, 2012 at 8:16 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    If you didnt clean your MAF.. I would def. do that! especially with a K&N Intake... It will make a difference also.

13. Dec 21, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    grubburg

grubburg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR MT
    K & N Intake, Gibson Catback (chopped), Weathertech floormats, 285/70/17 Ridge Grapplers, Black Rhino Glamis wheels, Kicker Key, Kicker Hideaway, Infiniti Speakers, OV Tune, 888's, 5100s X 4, HS 3-leaf, LR SPC UCAs, Diff Drop, Carrier Bearing Drop, OEM Bed Mat, Morimoto HID low beams, Morimoto LED 2 Stroke High Beams, KC 336 LED bar, KC C3 LED pods for rear, KC LED 6'' SlimLites ditch lights, N-Fab Steps, Auxbeam Interior Blue Lights, 7r41lbr34k3r Shift Knob, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Diode Dynamics SAE Pro Fogs, Cali Raised ditch light brackets, hidden light bar brackets, tailgate light brackets.
    Had high idle. Reset battery 3x. Third time was charm.

Look how dirty throttle body was at 88k20181221_175546.jpg 20181221_175546.jpg

b_r_o likes this.
  14. Dec 21, 2018 at 10:20 PM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
  15. Jul 20, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    Aaron111

Aaron111 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma - 2008 TRD Off Rd Package
    K&N Air Filter and TRD Exhaust
    AKTac... I have a question for you, did that help you when you were trying to clean your throttle body does disconnecting the wiring stop the electronic a from running.. ?

16. Jul 21, 2019 at 5:55 AM
    Mallardmaster1

Mallardmaster1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremey
    Cape Cod, MA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Blue Tacoma SR5
    I did this to my second gen when i first bought it with 159k miles. Make sure everything is tight, your engine is burning off the carb cleaner. Thats what it was for me. I took the throttle body off completely and scrubbed the entire inlet with a toothbrush. My taco idles around 600-650 rpm and i have 194k miles now

17. Feb 22, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    ToyotaTod98

ToyotaTod98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle:
    98 limited 4x4 excab white
    Lift ,wheels,micky tires, 4.56 front and rear locker.
    Hey guys, I have an idle issue also. It about three weeks ago after doing the valve cover gasket job and cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve. Now mine will idle high for the first time I start it up , after unplugging the battery for awhile. But after the next start it might go back down to 700rpm. Then after the next start up it will go back up to 1200rpm. It's been doing this for the last 3weeks. It doesn't fluctuate while I'm driving it or do anything like a sticking throttle. This is what I have done to try to fix it. First I checked every vac. line. I looked at the throttle and made sure it wasn't sticking in any way. That includes that little vaccum control dashpot. Well mine is electric I guess cause there is no vac line going to it and no place to plug it in. It has a black cap on the end. Took the throttle body off again and IAC valve and tested the IAC. It tested good. On omhs and opened and closed. Replaced the gasket on the valve and throttle body. Everytime I've done this I've unhooked the battery. I replaced the TPS about a month before any of this started happening cause it threw a code. And I cleaned the MFA sensor. And cleaned it again a week ago. I burped my coolant system cause I had air in it from taking of the throttle body. And it overheated a couple days ago , I guess because my radiator had a bunch of rust in it and the thermostat got stuck, so I replaced that and unhooked my battery while I did that then burped it. And today I noticed I had a leaking top rad.hose so I drained and flushed again and replaced those hoses. And this time I unplugged my EFI fuse. And started it and was burping it for about thirty minutes and idle was down to 650 like it use to be. But when I went to the store, when I got back in it and started it it went up to 1000rpms. So the only thing I know is either I have a vac leak I can't find or maybe I still have some air in my coolant system some where? Couldn't that cause a messed up idle? Or my computer just got tired of learning shit, and is crazy now? It seems like everyone that has cleaned their throttle body has ran into this problem. And I thought I've read every post pertaining to this but if anyone sees something that u know of that could help and I haven't tried it, then please let me know. Thanks as always. Oh yeah, no check engine light on.

18. Nov 18, 2021 at 12:38 PM
    Newtacoguy1996

Newtacoguy1996 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Taco 1996 2.7 l 4x4
    Any progress? My truck is doing something similar to this. Cheers

19. Nov 18, 2021 at 1:44 PM
    ToyotaTod98

ToyotaTod98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tod
    Vehicle:
    98 limited 4x4 excab white
    Lift ,wheels,micky tires, 4.56 front and rear locker.
    Yes sir. Sorry for not posting. But it was the TPS. Even though I had replaced it, I replaced it with one from the parts store. I think I was a doorman product. But apparently it only lasted about three weeks. I went back and looked at all the post pertaining to the TPS and many people have stated that an off brand TPS will only last about a month and a real cheapy won't last a few days.But when I was shopping for one I didn't want to pay 80 bucks from Toyota and so I paid 60 for the dorman. My mistake. I found a guy that had some genuine Toyota TPS with the brass terminals for 30 bucks and so I ordered one and he shipped it out that day. I got it in two days and put it in and fixed the problem. So I'm a true believer in using genuine Toyota parts when I comes to sensors and most everything else. You just have to shop around for the best price and do your homework and be able to identify a genuine part. I emailed the guy and asked him what color the terminals where before I brought it. He knew exactly what I was talking about. But yeah, it was the TPS. My idle would fluctuate between 800 - 1400 but not when idling, but at start up. I could start it up one time and it be at 800 and then start it up again and it be at 1300 . Just something different every time I started it up. This is af
    ter the initial warm up. But I haven't had a problem since I replaced it. Also I tested the old one by using the Manuel and and ohm meter and it tested fine. So those ohm test don't always work, so be careful about doing that.

20. Nov 18, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    Newtacoguy1996

Newtacoguy1996 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Taco 1996 2.7 l 4x4
    Thanks a lot for the info. Ill have a look into it ! I just clean the intake , maf and TB. My truck is a 96 2.7. My issue might be slightly different. Mine kinda get ´stuck’ at 1500 rpm or so coming out of a gear. Let say im in 3rd going in neutral, it does not go down to idle all the time, sometime i need to rev it a bit for it to go down to 900-1000 rpm

Products Discussed in

To Top