1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Increasing Payload 2011 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by imchestnut, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    imchestnut

imchestnut [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD 4x4. I had the TSB done on it but I still run on the bumpers almost all of the time with the normal weight I have in the truck. In my opinion, even the TSB rear springs are worthless.

I have gone through a few options.
    1. Airbags - I don't want to go this route because I had them on a previous truck and with the amount of off road driving I do it seems to be very high maintenance and prone to failure.
    2. Add a leaf in the rear with a leveling spacer in the front. I am not sure how much more payload capacity this really will give me if I am on the bumpers all the time right now. $450 roughly.
    3. OME 3" lift kit with new struts and a new rear heavy duty leaf pack. $1150 roughly

Can anyone give me some feedback on these options? I don't really need the lift but wouldn't mind the extra clearance it if it would also give me more payload capacity. I am really after payload more than anything. Ideas?

2. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    How much weight are we talking about? Dakars can handle a good amount of weight but i havnt went over 800lbs yet. Wheelers makes a HD 3 leaf AAL, i think it is somewhat new. Or you could look into helper springs, but i havnt seen anyone here with them, check out some helper springs here http://www.jcwhitney.com/leaf-springs/toyota-tacoma/c11307d2193j1s21.jcwx

3. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    All Pro Offroad Expedition leaf pack. Designed to keep about 3" of lift with several hundred pounds

$429 OTD

4. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    imchestnut

imchestnut [OP] Member

Member:
    Probably 1000lbs most of the time.

5. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    rtn1911

rtn1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM 4x4
    Buy a Dodge / Cummins. :D

6. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    imchestnut

imchestnut [OP] Member

Member:
    I would, but I am on muddy backroads most of the time. The old Toyota's were much tougher. I would sink a diesel to the frame everyday... Might only be 800 lbs. These trucks should handle that. Heck the springs are on the bumpers with 250 lbs in the back. I thought they were still a truck, apparently not.

7. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    rtn1911

rtn1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM 4x4
    Routinely loading a Tacoma with 1/2 ton in the bed is asking a lot of this truck, IMO. Others may disagree.

8. Mar 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Yep it sucks. I went with dakars vs AAL because of payload. If you offroad alot i say lift it, get a replacement leafpack. Like volcom said expos are meant to carry weight, dakars also do very well, you can ever get dakars with the AAL.

9. Mar 29, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Don't forget it's only a 1/2 ton axle no matter how big the springs are.

10. Mar 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    imchestnut

imchestnut [OP] Member

Member:
    They payload capacity (out of the fancy Toyota book at the dealer) is 1260lbs. Is it too much to ask to put 500-800lbs in it without sitting on the bumper? Maybe I'm old school and I expect it to perform as they say it will when they try to sell it to you at the dealer.

I don't see how it could be a 1/2 ton axle and have a 1260 pound payload capacity. Maybe I'm missing something.

11. Mar 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    I would recommend the all pro expedition springs for your application.

I have used my truck in construction for 3 years and regularly carry a lot of weight and have towed big trailers. Many people on this forum seem to be scared and warn you not to put more than a toolbox in the back or pull a 100lb trailer or your truck will fall apart.... but it won't its a truck they are made to work.

I have the all pro expedition springs, with 800lb's in the back they ride really nice! I have had 1600lbs in the back of my truck and the springs only sagged about 3" to a little higher than stock height, obviously I wouldn't recommend this regularly but it can be done when needed.

The springs still flex great off road, the only downside is if you run your truck completely empty they are a little stiff but still comfortable enough. I had a 2" aal before them and it helped a little but at 1000lbs I would be pretty much at the bump stops.

12. Mar 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I had about 700 lbs in mine the other day. I wasn't anywhere near bottoming out. I do have a 1.5" spring in the rear.

13. Mar 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    1/2 ,3/4 , the numbers are irrelevant to payload, even if they seem to describe it. Mine is described at 1400lb, that's all it'll ever be. some full size don't fair much better payloads.
    A 1/2 ton might carry 1100 with all the bells and whistles , or it might be rated at 2600lb.

OP, your best be might be to call Deaver or Alcan, get spring sets set up for a fully loaded expedition vehicle, but don't be surprised if its not exactly what you want or need, you'll never truly increase the payload.

14. Mar 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    white08gt

white08gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tn
    Vehicle:
    05 dbl cab 4x4 sr5
    toytec lift, fj rims, a.r.e topper
    take away your weight and gas and other accessories also come off the 1260 lbs. new leafs is best solution in the long run, I run aal's has done the job for me but I do not carry 1k lbs all the time.

15. Mar 29, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Imageoguy

Imageoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gatineau, Qc, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Full OME suspension (885 front springs, Dakar leaf pack + OME shocks) + D29XL extra leaf + 3 deg. shim + RideRite airbags
    With my deck and sled, I've got a bit more than 1200 lbs of payload including passenger, full gas and other stuff. I've got OME with dakars and Firestone airbags inflated at 50 PSI to get a proper ride on logging roads. Got about 1000 miles with that weight and setup, I'm very happy with the results.

16. Mar 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    imchestnut

imchestnut [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks guys, that gives me some good places to look. I usually have 600-700 probably which I don't think is too much. But its clearly too much for the TSB leafs. I just don't want to beat the truck apart by riding on the bump stops all the time. Thanks for your help.

17. Mar 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    I don't know the weight of it but I recently hauled some mulch. Filled the bed all the way up to the rails. I still had a few inches of travel with the Dakar leaf pack and it road nicely on the road. Same load on stock springs last year had the axle resting on the bump stops. About 300 lbs was the max I could get on stock and still have some travel.

Driving around the yard to drop piles of mulch where it was needed, everything seemed fine. Gave it some good flexing going over big tree roots, through a ditch, and such. Like the others said, there is an add a leaf available for the Dakars for heavy duty application.

18. Mar 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
  19. Mar 29, 2013 at 10:31 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I know you said you are not into the airbags but I have had good luck with them.

Had them on an 06 2wd for 5 years no problems and have them on my 12 4x4 for a year and a half no problems.

And if you are not carrying much weight you can turn them down.

20. Mar 29, 2013 at 10:37 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Honestly, I just left the dealer a few days ago, trying to get my TSB leafs (flat) replaced. I can stand on my bumper now and bounce off my bump stops. I've had the TSB leafs for maybe a year and a half...possibly two years.

Toyota Warranty peoples declined my warranty saying, and I quote, "It is a known design flaw that the leaf springs in Tacoma's do not stand up to the listed weight capacity" and yet they still will not replace them. The guy i always go to, never let me down, fought for me, (I was standing right there) and they still turned me down, he told me straight up, if I were to fight it, they would send an inspector out, the inspector would take one look at my 5100's and say that my aftermarket shocks caused premature leaf wear. Which is BS and even then I'd have to fight them more to make them prove it...

...which is why I just bought All-Pro expo springs and called it a day.

Oh, and I already had the AP expos when I went through all of that at the dealer...was just trying to scam another set of TSB leafs for replacement or for sale :D. Oh well.

Products Discussed in

To Top