1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jeep Thing? WTF?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by adamv22, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 at 6:40 AM
    rollin904

rollin904 Feather Slinger

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    I'd rock the hell outta a jeep...I only got a truck because I wanted the ability to haul crap in the back of it (and I work at Toyota =D).

2. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Same here, I know I can jump in my Tacoma and drive to any destination I want and not worry about breaking down on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere! But I will always have a Jeep for a wheelin toy and a hunting rig, they do great for that stuff. I am into mainly older CJs though, newer Jeeps are nice but are just too plush, I like the simple, bare-bones, rugged capability of a CJ any day of the week for what I do with them!

3. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    I've always wanted a Jeep. Maybe the wife will let me one day!

4. Nov 3, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    you trade a rubi for a truck you then want to offroad? this path of logic is going dangerous places.

5. Nov 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    Well, yes and no.....
    I traded the Rubicon because it was my daily driver.
    It was amazing offroad, but here was the issue. I wanted to do alot mroe hardcore trails, ones that yes it could do, but you ran alot of risk of real damage. I had too much in it, it was too nice of a Jeep to just destroy on the trail.
    That combined with the fact that it was just not practical as a daily driver for me. I needed something that could haul passengers comfortably, get a bit better gas mileage, do 70 mph on the highway, etc.
    So, even though I hated to let it go, I traded it for the Tacoma.
    Overal I dont regret it, but I do miss the offroading, so now, I am trying to decide whether to build up another Jeep (although a cheaper route) or build a Yota Truggy.
    My goal is an offroader that is still street legal, very capable offroad, build to take a roll/flop and just keep going, able to haul camping supplies.

6. Nov 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Your best bet would be any of the older CJs or YJs, a FJ40 if you could score one of those! Or an early model Ford Bronco, I have wheeled in most these vehicles (except YJ) and overall the FJ40 and Early Bronco is the most durable. My dad has 2 Broncos and the weakest point on them is if you find one with a Dana 30 up front (you want a 44) or if you find one with an C4 automatic transmission (weak and sloppy) or one with a 3 speed on the column (the gearing is tricky on these), best to find a T18 4 speed out of an F150 and do the swap, that is one tough transmission! If you must have an automatic in a Early Bronco look for a C6, but I have never heard of one of those in a Early Bronco before.
    DadandBuddy_a1ef56648315607933efbca32e4d69943df98309.jpg
    Here is a pic of my dad posing next to his 72, I can tell ya that thing has been through just about everything there is to be done to a 4x4!

7. Nov 3, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    Dmonkey

Dmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Branden
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    VZN159L (2002 DC)
    Eibach height adjust shocks in front, KYB monomax shocks in the back. Stock springs front and back. Level 8 MK6 10mm offset wheels on Cooper ATP tires (stock size)
    I have a 76 CJ5, my advice is unless you REALLY enjoy working on your rig, you may want to just buy another TJ

8. Jul 25, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    stowayman

stowayman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Monterey, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4X4 TRD O/R - Debadged
    Kenwood DNX9980HD Nav - BT - Sirius - backup camera, Weathertech digifits, maglite mod, 14" billet antenna
    No doubt my 2012 Rubi will kick my tacos ass off road... 2K for a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty... who gives a crap about the reliability... thats why I have a friken taco baby:D

9. Jul 25, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    ummm, why bump this?

Cool bro, you have a jeep, we all get it...

Products Discussed in

To Top