1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Loaded Taco's Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by LoadedTaco, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Apr 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco [OP] Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    I got some goodies today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Apr 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    wolverine768

wolverine768 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Baja in White
    Great build on your truck! I was contacting Tyler at Pelfreybilt and he lead me to your build. I am deciding on whether or not to get a Baja edition or not. I need to be able to run a winch sometimes for my work(and wheeling) but dont want to lug around the extra 80-95 lbs daily. I was thinking of having Tyler do a bumper w a reciever and just mount the winch in there when needed(versamount). I need to run steel cable since I use winch for pulling stumps, toppling towers, sliding construction containers, etc.
    1. Can the Baja suspension handle the bumper with no mods? (and remember I'd be w/o winch there most of the time)
    2. Did you notice a decrease in ride quality, bottoming out, etc, after you installed bumper and winch?
    3. Did you do the other suspension mods (total chaos, cab mount chop etc) for other reasons?

Thanks!!!!!!:D

3. Apr 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    IMO Just buy a TRD offroad and upgrade the suspension. With the amount you save you can get a new suspension and a bumper.

4. Apr 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    wolverine768

wolverine768 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Baja in White
    problem is I will not have a warranty on custom suspension and I can't deal with headaches(like a rebuild on shocks). I can get a baja for right around $35k. if i go upgraded supsension on a regular off road for $30k + shocks+ bumper + winch + wheels and tires + install, I'm stting right around that #. I'd rather just get a smittybuilt on a harbor freight mount into a reciever and bring it when I need it, and leave it when I don't. I'll get better mileage daily and full warranty. I looked into cbi front hitch mount but it just adds 50lbs, so if pelfreybilt is light enough and i remove stock bumper I may be ahead of that. (may not, which is what i'm digging into)

5. Apr 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    I have no issue so far. I have had the bumper for a little while now and it seems good. It dropped just a little bit, but not much. I would say my truck sits level, whereas before the front was a little higher in the front. I have not touched the suspension so far.

1) Yes
    2) Not that I can tell. Still feels like the same truck to me.
    3) No I have not done any suspension mods to it.

My advice: It all comes down to the cash. If you have the cash to buy the truck, buy the suspension, buy the bumper and all the other goodies toys then do that. That way the truck is built to your liking. If you want a lifted truck and only can afford what you finance then a Baja is a great option.

If I knew I was going to be modding my truck this much & I had the cash to do so I would have bought a TRD and put a suspension on it with 700# springs up front for weight and an expo leaf setup in the rear. The thing is I knew I wanted a lift and I knew I didn't have the money to put the suspension on. I love that my truck is rare. I love that I can do everything I want to it without having to change the suspension.

I have skids ordered, I'll put bigger tires on, put a roof rack on, and a rear bumper. Then in when I am ready I will replace the suspension with a quality mid travel.

Overall I am very impressed with the Baja's suspension. I will have it up in Moab at the end of may. Check back in then and see how I feel. ;)

6. Apr 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    alegav

alegav TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Pelfreybilt IFS Skid, Mid Skid and Plate Bumper, Rigid Industries Dually's, ARB CKMA12 On Board Air, Kenwood TM-281A Radio, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Wheelers SuperBumps, Toytec Baja Spacer
    Couldnt have said it better. Also a reason why I went with the Baja. Had I known they were going to make them in white i would have waited haha. Like you stated though I didnt have the cash to go out and purchase a quality mid travel setup along with all the components that go with it.

7. Apr 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Nice truck. It already looked good, but the bumper really changed the look of the truck for the better.

8. Apr 19, 2013 at 4:17 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Thank You!

9. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    TMartATC22

TMartATC22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southeastern WI
    Vehicle:
    08 Rad Red TRD Sport DCSB
    265/70R17 Hankook DynaPro ATM, TRD CAI, 1.5'' Leveling Kit, JVC Bluetooth/IPod/HD Radio Head Unit, WeatherTech Floor Mats, LED Tailgate light
    Great looking truck. 2 nice choices right off the bat: stripping the decals and color matching the grill.

Do you still have the 35% tint on the front windows? is there a major difference front to back?

10. Apr 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    D33WAN4

D33WAN4 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alviraaz
    Bay Area
    nice truck bro, and thanks for giving reference to where u got things and all the before and after pictures.
    thanks

oh 1 more thing, onces you have that bumper put can you take the headlights or grill out or you would have to remove the bumper in order to remove headlight or grill
    thanks

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  11. Apr 24, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    Fightman80

Fightman80 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capreol Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD DCLB Speedway Blue
    Tinted Tail lights, Nerb Bars, Tonneau Cover, Vent Visors, Hood Deflector, Foglight/highbeam mod, Custom homemade grill, Carbon Fibre Interior.
    Nice looking TX man! I love that red!!! Check out my build.... looking at doing a lift and some tires soon.... but gotta sock away some cash first! :D

Let me know what you think!

12. Apr 25, 2013 at 7:28 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja

13. Apr 25, 2013 at 7:34 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    You could definitely take the grill and headlights out still. I have taken the grill off since putting the bumper on.

14. Apr 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Used this thread to build some high lift mounts.

Great write up if was fun and easy! My high lift-extreme was a bit too long so I chopped off 3.375 inches and now it fits perfectly in my short bed. All I used to cut it was a hacksaw and a truck load of elbow grease.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. May 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
  16. May 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    how tough was it to remove all the extra stickers, were they individual or all connected?

17. May 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    On a hot summer day my brother and I peeled them off in about 20 min. Most of them were all connected.

18. May 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    I installed my CB and PA on friday.

CB is in my center Counsel
    [​IMG]

4' Firestick
    [​IMG]

Custom Auxiliary fuse panel by tooblutacoma06
    [​IMG]

PA speaker - I have no legitimate reason for this other than my CB has a port for it and it was easy to wire up.
    [​IMG]

19. May 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    alegav

alegav TeamBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD T|X Baja
    Pelfreybilt IFS Skid, Mid Skid and Plate Bumper, Rigid Industries Dually's, ARB CKMA12 On Board Air, Kenwood TM-281A Radio, Rear view mirror relocation bracket, Wheelers SuperBumps, Toytec Baja Spacer
    Looks good!!! So what is the Aux fuse panel used for? I know NOTHING about electricity haha. Just that it hurts when I get shocked

20. May 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    As I keep adding accessories I want a way to keep all the wires organized and protected by fuses. Instead of having an inline fuse for my CB under the center counsel and an inline fuse under the hood for my 20" LED bar I wired them both through that fuse box. The entire fuse box is also protected by a circuit breaker. Most importantly it looks cool under the hood. :D

I don't really know that much either. The guy that helped me do the install owns an automotive electronics shop. We did the install together and he taught me a lot along the way. With all the right tools it was pretty easy to do. Now I need to save up some money so I can get that badass roof rack that Pelfreybilt makes.

Products Discussed in

To Top