1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for reviews...National Bearing Wheel Hubs

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Brunes, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Dec 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So my wifes 4Runner needs a new left front wheel bearing. The dealership wants 420+ for one. I can get them for 125 apiece or less on Summit Racing, but I haven't ever used parts from them. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...de-front/drivetrain/rwd/year/2004?prefilter=1
    I have to see if the are complete or if there are more parts/seals I'll need. Also need to find out If I'll need to press the hubs together or if they come ready to go.

2. Dec 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    That National bearings # is acutally a Moog. Both are quality brands with National a maker of seals. They are part of the Federal-Mogul group that includes Champion, Sealed Power, Fel-Pro, and others - http://www.federalmogul.com/en/Afte.../SteeringSolutions/Products/NationalOilSeals/ . Summit Racing is also a quality vendor that caters to hot rodders and auto enthusiasts in general.

I just replaced the wheel bearings in my 07 Taco but went with Precision bearings sold on Amazon, http://www.prec-auto.com/ for $52.

Our trucks use the same bearings.

You can either buy the bearings separately , or pre-installed in the bearing assembly as in the link you provided. That bearing assembly presses into the wheel hub, which means you first need to press out the old wheel assembly from the hub. You can take it to a shop for that. They shouldn't charge more than $60 to take out the old and press in the new.

If you just buy the bearings, you have the additional and laborious step of removing and installing the races into the bearing assembly. The bearings will be about 25% cheaper, but I think most folks will recommend to get the whole bearing assembly.

The other parts you should replace are the outer seal, National # 710477, and the O-ring, currently only found at the dealership, # 90301-A0005. An inner seal is also available but, that covers the CV and may not need replacing. When you pull out the bearing assembly, you will be able to see if the seal needs replacing. National # 710573 if 4X4, or same as the outer if non-4X4.

Step-by-step procedure http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/153775-wheel-bearings-changed-pictures.html

Products Discussed in

To Top