1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My slant on the Fogs on mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AZFizik, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    Anyone know if 1 could tap off the fog light relay to run another set of fogs? Or would that be too much amperage?
    Thanks,
    Stu

2. Jan 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    This is how I wired mine.
    It's been working good for the last year this Jan. 18th.

Hint: If you do NOT solder the tie-in to the parking lamp wire, wrap the scotch lock well with electrical tape. I first used a scotch lock and two weeks later the moisture corroded the connector. I even taped it up well. There must be a lot of moisture that gets in that fender area.
    I then did it properly and soldered them together.
    Two minutes of prevention would have saved me 10 in repair!

3. Jan 19, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    thanks for the tip... I electrical taped the hell out of the scotch lock so hopefully no problems... :thumbsup: :D

4. Jan 19, 2009 at 5:16 PM
    AZFizik

AZFizik [OP] Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    Those scotchlok are HORRIBLE! All they do is come loose and chew up the wire they're crimped onto. Not to mention that they don't seal, so the wire corrodes and you get an unreliable connection shortly thereafter. I really hate those things.

If you spent 7 years fixing radio and alarm installs that used scotchlok connectors, you'd feel the same way.

Philrab likes this.
  5. Feb 1, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Done and done...... It looks great and photos will be posted later. Thanks!

6. Feb 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    redraider

redraider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    San Antonio,TX
    just subscribed

7. Feb 10, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Hold up. Now I did the Fog light mod in the cheap/free mods section. Is there something wrong with the mod I did a few months back?:confused:

8. Feb 10, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    +1 :confused:

9. Feb 10, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    i went this route and have not had any problems at all.

10. Feb 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah that's the same one I did but I guess people have had their fogs turn on a few hours after their trucks have been turned off or something.:confused: Mine is in my garage so I'm not sure if this has been happening to me. I'm pretty sure we are good to go though.:rolleyes:

11. Feb 11, 2009 at 3:52 AM
    craigFLA

craigFLA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport Pkg.#1, XSP Package
    Leather, 20" rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, running boards, back up camera/3" screen in rear view mirror, carbon fiber interior trim. Tow Package. MODS: URD intake BHLM. Tinted tails & 3rd brake light Fog Light mod. 5pc Grill Craft (High Gloss Black powder-coat) T-Rex eye-lids AVS Wind Deflectors 3M Window Tint 15 front/30 rear OBX Sports Pedals Viper 5901 / remote start Pioneer AVIC F90BT-NAV Hybrid L8's in doors, L4's and Dynaudio MD102 tweets in custom kicks, morel rear-fill, JL TW5-13" sub, JBL MS-8, 2@Tru B475, Tru 4.65, PPI a600.2, PPI 456 X-over, Raamat BX2 and ensolite. relocated rear seats 3/4" Retrax cover electric dual "dead-bolt-lock" electric tailgate lock. electric Dynalock for Retrax Cover/custom fabricated case. kinetik second battery/power-gate isolation. Powerslot Cryogenic rotors, Hawks HPS Pads, SS lines,painted calipers&drums FULL trans flush mod OE Denso plugs
    The possibility of the lights coming on 4 hours later was 1 concern, but honestly I didnt like the idea of the add a fuse laying on top of my fuse box.

I disassembled my fuse box, and moved the wire from the underside, so there is no 4 hour lights, no add on anything, and no evidence that it was ever done... just me. It was alot more work, and probably not worth it to most.

12. Feb 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM
    AZFizik

AZFizik [OP] Slowpokeologist

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OffRoad Prerunner
    TRD Catback & CAI, Fogs only, Recovered Armrests, BFG AT's
    I wanted a simple install that was controllable to my specs. I didn't like the chance of my lights coming on after a few hours, I didn't really think I needed the fogs on without the marker lights, and I wanted the fogs to stay on with the high beams.

So thats why I labeled it "My slant" it retains the principal of the mod and adds a few features that I wanted. Sorry if it seems like I'm stepping on your toes, it was not intentional.

13. Feb 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Oh no your fine man! I was just wondering if the way I did it through the cheap/free mods was a bad way but I think it's not because tons of people have done it the way I have. I'm sure if it was a bad mod, it would have been taken off or a thread would have been started on it!;)

14. Feb 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    txusa03

txusa03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Please help, I am so confused and i don't blame myself or anyone because when it comes to electrical, I am clueless. What do I need to do if I want to use this slant version from beginning to finish? I have bought the OEM like fog light kit that comes with wiring, relay, in-line fuse, switch, and of course the light bulb and housing. Would someone help me start out on the wiring from beginning to end. I have read all the fog light mod and now my brain is so full I am so confused.

So do I make any changes to the relay that come with the kit? And how can changing one single pin on a factory junction block 2A help power up my fog light? Excuse the dumb question but as I said, I am just about to pull out all my hair here.

15. Feb 11, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    this is how I wired mine so it had no chance of tripping the computer with a voltage drop when it did the 4 hr check

16. Feb 11, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I actually got enough courage and spliced the wires together. No extra fuse. Then again, no room for error either! That wire don't give to much slack!!!:eek:

17. Feb 11, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    ballon78

ballon78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amesbury, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 CC SR5 TRD
    So which version of the fog light mod do i need to do so that my fog lights will work with the stock switch when ever i want but will shut off when truck is shut off. I like to run fogs with out any lights on. I dont want the fogs to come on at all at the 4 hour mark either

18. Feb 11, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    read post 9, it explains why I trust piercedtigers's method. If someone could post a reason why this should not be done, or proof of the lights coming on, then we may need to reconsider this method still being in the cheap mod section.
    As it stands, we have no solid proof or reasoning why piercedtigers method is flawed............he also refered to another method that has caused the lights to come on after 4 hours.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods.html

I think the mod in this thread is ok too. No one has given reason for it not to be ok. Good job and nice write up to you too.:)

19. Feb 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Seriously guys, I understand where the hesitation is coming from when you want to do this, but its very simple and I've been very pleased.

Bend the terminal back on the relay, run a wire from there to the marker lights, and solder the wire into the green/blue wire. Thats all that needs to be done.

I leave my marker lights on when I drive, and leave them on when I turn the truck off, and they shut off like normal. Yes you can still use the existing switch.

This way also allows you to keep the fogs on when the brights are activated. More light! :thumbsup:

20. Feb 11, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I leave my fogs on all the time too, but with pt's way, you don't have to leave the markers on.

Products Discussed in

To Top