1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Advice on Suspension

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by RushTacoma, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    RushTacoma

RushTacoma [OP] Toyota Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner
    I have a 2003 Toyota Tacoma with stock suspension. I am looking at the Bilstein 5100s all around and an AAL for the rear too. My tires are 265/70R/16

My question is what would I set them at? (I would like my truck to be higher but i also Drive it daily to and from work and i work in construction so it gets alot of miles.)

What would be good tires to get to Drive daily in and yet be able to go off-roading on the weekends?

Where would be the Best Place to buy all of these at?

2. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Just got done swapping out everything on my truck (thanks to a TW group buy) and this is what I have learned...

My old set up - bone stock and worn out. My new set up - Billies all around (front at 0), OME 881's and Alcan 5 pack leafs (I was way beyond the option of an AAL).

Gained about 2" in height overall and the ride is much improved. An AAL will give you added height but will also make for a rougher riding vehicle. If your leaf packs are shot, spend the extra $$$ now and get new ones not just an AAL.

3. Jun 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    RushTacoma

RushTacoma [OP] Toyota Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner
    I'm not sure if I need new leaf packs or not... I'll have to check it out...but where would be the best place to buy them at?

4. Jun 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    If they are frowning then its time to get rid of them. Mine were sagging down in the front half and just about level in the back. The new pack is just slightly upturned in the front and has a decent upward arch in the back. Check out my gallery for before and after shots to compare to your truck.

I got mine through Wheelers Off Road - the group buy was not a bad deal but you've missed out on that unfortunately. You might benefit from the threads though - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/83863-1st-gen-needs-suspension-upgrades-asap.html
    which follows my personal journey through the land of aftermarket suspensions and http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...heelers-offroad-1st-gen-leaf-replacement.html for the group buy, lots of BS to get through but you might learn something if you have the patience to dig in there.
    And ignore anything bad I have said about Wheelers and YotaDan. He was great to deal with and I would buy again from Wheelers should my truck need anything else in the future.

5. Jun 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs

Products Discussed in

To Top