1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Help Finding the Right Nerf Bars

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ChibbMD, May 2, 2008.

1. May 2, 2008 at 6:48 AM
    ChibbMD

ChibbMD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Double Cab
    Hey follks. I recently ordered a set of Westin Signature Series nerf bars from Performance Products. I was looking for the bars that truly curve up under the body at the ends. Like these:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/7915-tacoma-double-cab-westin-nerf-bars.html

The sale rep at PP swore the ones I ordered were like this but they arrived yesterday and they were the kind that only slightly bend at the ends and don't go up under the body. These also attach via straight brackets that come out from underneath the truck and the tubes rest on the brackets. I don't like that either. I want ones that attach at the ends under the truck.

I called Westin this morning and they confirmed that everything they currently carry for the DC Taco looks like the ones I received. So I'm bummed. In the thread above the seller mentioned that Westin changed their bars. I guess I need to return these and try something else. Anyone know of a current model nerf bar that looks like the ones I want?

2. May 2, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    If you off road at all it would be better to get sliders.

I'd help you with the steps but I know nothing about them due to the fact they are generally chrome and weak.

3. May 3, 2008 at 3:53 AM
    outbacker

outbacker Mom's gonna fix it all soon

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Sport 4x4
    I recommend the nfabs if you want nerf bars. I wouldn't necessarily buy them here but you can see how they look:

http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0036345.shtml

I've seen them somewhere else for around $350 but I can't remember where. Search for "nfab" here and on TN to find a link.

I got the OEM running boards and I'm happy with them. It took some time to get used to using them when getting in /out but I really like them now. They provide good side protection against dings,too. They were $310 shipped.

[​IMG]

4. May 3, 2008 at 9:03 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I have the Westin's but, in all honestly, I've been seriously considering going with the SS NFAB's lately.

Tacoma03162008001_ae3e05c9c93a9f04812814cbd887cda04cc5850c.jpg

As you can see on the link (sorry, big pic), they don't offer much in the way of a step because they're up too close to the body. Right now, they aren't functional other that to protect from dings and help with road debris (no mud flaps). Looks would be the main purpose at this point. The steps on the NFAB's hang down and are much more functional.

5. May 3, 2008 at 5:32 PM
    in2nite

in2nite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    SoCal.
    Vehicle:
    blk 07 prerunner
    Engage Offroad L/T front and rear, Kings and 50t pack, Hella 4000's, Pro Comp Wheels and tires
    [​IMG]

The Nfabs r great and very easy to bolt up.. It took me about 30 mins with a socket wrench...

6. May 3, 2008 at 6:33 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    I just put the Westin Platinum series on an Access cab and they are like the one's you're wanting, as in curved all the way to and bolted to the frame. I had these on a '99 as well and they took some abuse, still looked good, and never came loose in nine years.
    [​IMG]

Wouldn't have even known the difference for the DC until this post and seeing Wilson the Dog's posted picture. Don't understand why they are different mounting systems as the access cab is just a few inches difference in length.

I installed the Platinum series but I think the only difference in the Signiture series is the use of stainless vs carbon steel being used prior to chrome or powder coat. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top