1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New lights/bulbs, in the new headlight assemblies, don't plug into the new wiring harnesses

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by AMB2023, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Jan 23, 2023 at 11:37 PM
    AMB2023

AMB2023 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BLACK 21 TRD OR
    Grill, Tail/Brake Lights, Head Lights <currently>
    My headlights are blinding to on coming traffic, so I thought, try easy first, bulbs... I was told its not the bulbs its the assembly & that I needed to upgrade to a projector assembly.

Ok, I'm not a complete rookie here, had a '05 Taco take a hit & had to repair the front end, headlights, fog lights, bumper, flare, passenger quarter panel & grill. Checked the manual for info on bulbs & possibly adjusting it. Just the usual unplug, turn, pull, 3 lights/ sockets. I watched some vids as well, then I popped the hood to see what all I would need to replace the headlight assemblies.

Currently, I have only one plug w/all the wires coming out of my assembly then splitting, instead of what the manual & countless tutorials have, which is, 3 plugs/sockets that need to be unplugged before it can be removed. So, I did some more research & came across a guy who makes Tacoma specific wire harnesses, I ordered 2, problem solved, I thought, but alas, it was not. I couldn't easily get the bulbs out of the old assembly, screw it, I got new bulbs for the new assemblies. Problem solved, I thought...Not!

The new lights/bulbs, in the new headlight assemblies, don't plug into the new wiring harnesses, which, may or may not, plug into the truck.
    Really!
    Anybody know what's going on here?

2. Jan 23, 2023 at 11:47 PM
    itsmywifestaco

itsmywifestaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road DCSB army green
    King 2.5 all around Icon UCAs Icon rxt rear leafs Scs f5 dark bronze 285/70/17 BFG KO2s Cali raised sliders
    Looks like you have a pretty new third gen, what exactly is the issue with your lights? I see it’s blinding people, has your truck been lifted or has anything occurred to cause the light to be misaligned? The aim is adjustable. Do you have the stock headlight bulbs causing the problems or have the bulbs or housings been replaced with something aftermarket? Sounds like you might have some aftermarket housings or bulbs you are trying to fit to fix the issue. Let us know brands and type of bulbs and that should give some more context. Photos could also be helpful so we see what you’re working with.

3. Jan 24, 2023 at 8:02 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Were the original headlights OEM Toyota? Who did you buy the new headlight assemblies from? What is the make and model? I'm assuming they are not OEM Toyota. Pics would also help.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  4. Jan 24, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    Primo 95

Primo 95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Primo!
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB 4X4
    265/75/16 S/T Maxx 16X8.5 Level 8 Trackers 5100 1.75 HID, LED interior, 3" N-Fab step bars
    I thought all 3rd gens have projector headlight assembles? I have never seen a aftermarket non-projector assembly for a 3rd gen? I am curious to see what you started out with, and then you said New Headlight assemblies? So what did you buy?

We need photos.

5. Jan 24, 2023 at 9:27 AM
    Toy_Runner

Toy_Runner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5
    3" OME lift, heavy coils f/r 3/16" steel skids Modified Coastal Offroad diy bumper 5spd swap ('98 donor)
    P H O T O S
    H
    O
    T
    O
    S

Please. Show the front (lens) side and the back with the existing wiring clearly with well lit photos. If there is a brand name emblazoned on the lights, or stickers with a brand name, please share those as well.

Legally, the front lens is supposed to be imprinted with, among other things, the bulb type.

It sounds like you may have an aftermarket headlamp assembly that uses a projector?

6. Jan 24, 2023 at 2:34 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    Your TACO has LED headlights, there are no blubs to change. Hence the all wires to one connector.
    The harness you bought does nothing to connect to the LED headlamps, they are for Halogen type headlight assemblies.

vicali likes this.
  7. Jan 27, 2023 at 9:50 AM
    AMB2023

AMB2023 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    BLACK 21 TRD OR
    Grill, Tail/Brake Lights, Head Lights <currently>
    Thx, I Have the LED"s & basically, I would have to downgrade.
    Where is the adjustment on those?
    Is there anything, temporarily, out there to make them look darker?
    The truck is black & they stick out like a sore thumb...It's a cosmetic issue on my part.

8. Jan 27, 2023 at 9:56 AM
    Tacospike

Tacospike Semi-Unknown Custodial Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
  9. Jan 27, 2023 at 10:03 AM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    I don't think the adjustment the OP is asking about is angle of illumination, it seems brightness of the headlight assembly and/or the illumination of them. Maybe a tint over the clear cover?

10. Jan 27, 2023 at 10:51 AM
    itsmywifestaco

itsmywifestaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road DCSB army green
    King 2.5 all around Icon UCAs Icon rxt rear leafs Scs f5 dark bronze 285/70/17 BFG KO2s Cali raised sliders
    You could tint with a lens or a spray but this would affect the light output. The other option is to bake the headlight housing and open it up to paint parts of it but if you don’t have experience you might be better off buying an aftermarket housing like morimoto.

Products Discussed in

To Top