1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New truck destruction. Mods for my 2013 DCLB 4x4, Danielle.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by jstanley, Jan 23, 2015.

1. May 10, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    jstanley

jstanley [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport 4x4 Pyrite Mica.
    OTT, OME, Dakar, Eaton rear locker, camper shell, Konig Six Shooters and 33" Wildpeak tires, Pelfreybilt front bumper and skids
    Front and rear brakes, Wheeler.s stainless lines, u-bolt flip kit, 1/2" spacer for the taco lean, sway bar delete, side steps removed, oil change to 10W-30 (engine knocks are no longer audible in the cab), put the center caps back in the wheels hoping to center the wheels on the hubs an quieten some of the noise, greased the u-joints.

Brake pedal feel still sucks, worried I got air in the master cylinder. May take it to the shop the morning if my opinion hasn't improved by then.

U bolts in the flip kit are too short. Called and they said they now ship with 9" u-bolts instead of 7 3/8". Not sure that's long enough but I can't find them anywhere else so I'll have to order them after the Jamboree, If I don't find a set there.

Maybe my 7 pin will get taken out this weekend and force be to figure out what I'm gonna do about that.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  2. Aug 1, 2016 at 7:38 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    OTT, OME, Dakar, Eaton rear locker, camper shell, Konig Six Shooters and 33" Wildpeak tires, Pelfreybilt front bumper and skids
    Mod number I lost count. Ultragauge installed. Not where i wanted to put it, but it'll do for now. Would be better on the black plastic piece opposite of the door mirror but I didn't want to disassemble it and the door so I could run the cable. Was irritated that the trans temp didn't work out of the box but found a post on changing the codes and it now works.

Still need to get back around to the trailer plug, it's now bent up at a bad angle but still attached.

Stuff to put winch controls in the cab are in route, as well as relays for the heated mirrors. Need to figure out a timer for the mirrors, and a switch that's not $70. Going to need to find a fuse box soon too.

3. Aug 30, 2016 at 5:14 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Finally took care of that busted 7-pin. Not impressed with this particular part, especially for the price, but it'll work.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N5U7DS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Added lots of silicone to the back side so hopefully it'll be fairly water tight and reliable when needed.
    Started to install the trailer brake controller but decided I don't like the one I have so I'll save that till I find a better solution.

NOTE: THIS \/\/\/ WON'T FIT!!!!!!!!
    Check this out, looks just like the one's I noticed on several Dodge Rams walking through the parking lot into work this morning:
    http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopk...fgP_rm8xMc_DimIJGzs-eTQ0dOJnGTMj7oaAo698P8HAQ

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Pelfreybilt likes this.
  4. Sep 6, 2016 at 11:47 AM
    WoodsidesK4

WoodsidesK4 Member

Member:
    Looking good! How did you power the Cobra CB radio? I'd like to do something similar.

5. Sep 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
  6. Sep 9, 2016 at 7:18 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:

Finally gettin' around to adding the in-cab winch controls, and rearranging the switches to suit me.

And maybe redneckin' a LED setup under the tonneau, got some IKEA LEDs mood lighting strips I pulled of the back of free-be TV.

7. Sep 10, 2016 at 11:00 AM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Finished up installing my in-cab winch controls, and rearranging the switches.

Wiring diagram, only difference is you'll need to tie pin seven of the in/out switch to ground so the LEDs work.

Parts:
    https://www.amazon.com/Support-Mome...9&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=sundley+winch+in++out
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5VCPAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MBWKSN4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    10' of #16-3 from Lowes
    Blue terminals for the switches from O'Reilly's.

I was told these switches wouldn't fit here, and I guess for someone easily intimidated they wouldn't. I trimmed out the vertical ridges at the back of each hole with my knife and rounded the top-back edge of each of the rockers and they fit fine.

Also popped the USB port apart and rattle can painted the LEDs black, they were way to bright before, just right now.

Note, for the dash lights, find a green wire with a white stripe.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Over da Hill likes this.
  8. Sep 10, 2016 at 3:04 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    CONSOLE! ORGANIZE!

I'm on a role today....

This goes along with my home-made divider I installed last weekend. If anyone in the Austin area needs black plastic to make a console divider out of I have it, just message me and I'll hook you up.

9. Oct 1, 2016 at 1:00 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Removed the weak 2.1amp USB and installed a 4.2amp model. 2.1 isn't enough to keep up with the display and apps, hopefully there's actual power in the new 4.2A.

Edit, Nope, no power here either. charging still doesn't keep up with power usage. :(

Looks cool, but I think I'm gonna ditch it and put the fog light switch back in for some new Rigid's that are hopefully on the way, to be turned on when the blinker is on, or when I need them hunting for that trail I missed in the dark.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  10. Oct 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Finally got my EZ view mirrors and heated mirrors installed. Just 3 more months till winter hits Texas and I get to try them out.

http://trailtoys.net/products/2005-15-toyota-tacoma-ezview-mirrors
    http://www.aironboard.com/online/pu...-oem-replacement-heated-mirrors-led-blue.html
    http://www.wolstentech.com/products/timedelayrelay/tdr-mc.php
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/heated-mirrors-kit-interest-update-thread-pic-heavy.377840/
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oem-heated-mirrors-diy-mod.193528/

To set the timing on the mirrors, on the TDR-MC, change switch 2 and turn the pot 10 turns. This will give a good starting point for how long the heaters stay on. Was a little concerned I screwed something up the first time I tried them and they appeared not to work, read the instructions and figured out why they were only getting turned on for about 2 seconds.....

Edit...End of January and no ice yet, but they clear up foggy mirrors quickly which is why I really wanted them anyway.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  11. Oct 26, 2016 at 7:23 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Anytime rear camera mod, not happy with the switch location but it's good for now.

Green wire in the mirror plug to top of the SPDT switch, clip the red wire an connect to the middle and bottom of switch. Would suggest a latching push button instead of the toggle.

In hind-sight, this is probably the most useless mod I've done.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  12. Oct 27, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah, the reason for the any time back up camera mod....

13. Dec 27, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    And the next mod cause the tonneau with tent is to frickin' heavy to lift to get the tailgate open; 4 actuators and a bluetooth relay board....

Still got bugs to work out, like the actuators aren't real good at side loads at full extension; for now I'm using 8 straps and some D rings added to the bottom side of the tonneau but I'm not trusting it enough to sleep in the tent at full extension, and, each actuator seems to be a different speed; really annoying thing that maybe some better actuators will solve if i don't just say screw it and buy a trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I4ICQMO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6FTHC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P4UG4PG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.actuatorzone.com/brk-03

The bluetooth relay module will eventually control bed lights, camp lights, and any other gizmod I can think up. Pretty cool lighting peoples faces up with this setup, people think I'm some sort of genius; to many imperfections to be genius.

Update: Android did an update and the app no longer functions, and I was tired of replacing actuators every time they got wet, so this system was replaced with a camper shell.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  14. Dec 27, 2016 at 9:02 PM
    Over da Hill

Over da Hill "Roads...where we're going we don't need roads"

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 Black Taco 4WD DC SB SC
    Supercharger, Icon stage 3 suspension, Pelfreybilt Armor, All-Pro Sliders & Leaf Pack, 17 inch Black Rhino Sidewinder wheels, 33 inch Toyo tires, Rigid Lighting, SPod,
    Nice work!:popcorn:

15. Dec 28, 2016 at 7:28 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Johnny. Kind of hit a snag here lately, credit cards are maxed on the tent and recent trips so just going to enjoy it and make inexpensive mods for a while and finish installing what I have setting in the garage.

16. Dec 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    After our Thanksgiving Big Bend trip my daughter said she needed a handle like some FJ friends have, so I gave here a big roll of cord and showed here the Paracord Helper app.....

Problem solved.

17. Jan 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    4X innovations shovel and ax mount installed. Not really happy with how closely the grip fists mount to each other, getting the shovel out and back in could be a serious pain. Will see what actual use shows first time I need the shovel, maybe the lower set need to be turned over but I don't see that helping much.
    What I do like is the space behind them in which I can keep my waking stick, tarp, and short length of garden hose.

http://www.4xinnovations.com/Double-Quick-Fist-Mount-for-All-Toyota-Bed-Rails_p_138.html

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  18. Mar 2, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
  19. Mar 24, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    T4R brake upgrade and Dobinson snorkel.

Crikeymike and MattCowsmasher like this.
  20. Dec 17, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    jstanley

Member:
    Central TX
    Vehicle:
    Hmm, need to update with the ham radio and Prinsu rack.

BFG now has a 285/70-17 in LR C, so time for a cab mount chop.....
    And, since most of the apps on the stock radio don't work, I'm thinking that needs some sort of upgrade, maybe a tablet.

To Top