1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newb Advice

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by differential, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Jan 12, 2012 at 10:37 AM
    differential

differential [OP] Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    Black Pre Runner
    I recently purchased a brand new black 2012 Toyota Tacoma. I immediately started using Meguiar's products on my truck, but I want to ensure that I keep it looking it's best. From what I've read and my personal experience, the paint seems very soft.

I already have a few items in my detailing portfolio, most of which I have not used yet....

Microfiber Cloths
    Gilmour 75QGF4 Foamaster Gun

Dodo Juice Born to be Mild Shampoo
    Cobra 600 Super Plush towel
    CG Citrus Wash and Gloss
    Zymol Carbon Wax

CG Black on Black

CG Fabric Clean

CG Silk Shine

CG Grime Reaper APC

Here are my questions...

What exterior regimen would you recommend for my truck? I was thinking of using the CG Citrus wash, followed by CG Black Light, with a final coat of Zymol. Would this be ok? If not, what would you recommend?

For the interior, I do not like high gloss products. Will the CG Silk Shine give me the a "new from the factory" look? if not, which CG product would?

I have painted steel wheels. Could I use a wheel wax?

My Tacoma is the base pre-runner, so I have alot the black plastic molding around the fenders that are not painted. Would it be ok to use the CG Silk Shine on the bumper and moldings? Does the Silk Shine run at all when it gets wet? I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Shine protectant before, and when it got wet, it would "run, smear, and stain."

On my passenger seat fabric, I have a stain. I picked up some hamburgers, and some of the grease from the burgers leaked through the paper bag onto the seat. I tried a little bit of water, and some diluted woolite, but the stain hasn't budget yet. Do you think the CG Fabric Clean will get this out?

Final question, we also purchased a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen in dark grey for my wife. What would you recommend for this car?

I would really appreciate your candid answers to my questions. After much research, there's so many products out there and so many solutions, I'm lost. I really like the lineup and offerings that Chemical Guys offers. With two new cars in our driveway, especially my black truck, I want to make sure I take care of them correctly from the beginning so they stay looking nice for many years. I've been meticulous with caring for my cars for years, but I've always used OTC products, and I'm ready to take my detailing knowledge and product bank to the next level.

Thanks!

2. Jan 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Congratulation!

I have a base regular cab with the black plastic. I use either 303 Aerospace protectant (bought it for the tonneau cover) or some mequires black plastic stuff. the black plastic turns back to almost new.

The best to keep new paint in good form is to press lightly with washing, waxing, or rubbing. It will keep the swirl marks down. (i ready this advice hear in the <ask the detailer> thread.

I used the oxy clean car fabric cleaner. Spray, let soak for a few minues, then blot away with a clean damp cloth. Repeat. Works everytime after a few times. :)

I try to keep mine sort of clean, sort of waxed, in pretty good reapair, but not too crazy. It is a truck and my wife or daughters bang stuff into it from time to time.

3. Jan 23, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    rdm197aps

rdm197aps Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport 4x4
    ARB bulbar WARN M8000, OME/Dakar, enough recovery gear to yank a GEO Tracker outta ditch!
    dont forget to clay the truck before you wax it... i may have missed it in the post if you said you already did.

and, when you rotate your tires, take a BRASS brush and water to the powder coated parts (springs/a-arms/ect) inside the wheel well. Brass is soft enough to not gouge the crap outta the finish that is probably already blemished if your truck is not a highway queen. :D

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    PhishPhryer

PhishPhryer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Lewisberry
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top