1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

No budget limit -- Whats my best lift options??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RhysesPieces, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    pretty much lol. LT is great for a play truck, not something you want to put some serious miles on though.

2. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    All pro LT front (let's you crawl and go fast), rear resi shocks w/ better leaf pack (not true lt, but a mid travel back end), supercharger, all terrain tires, hood skewp

My. 02 op

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
  4. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    RhysesPieces

RhysesPieces [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhys
    ALL OVER
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF RD 4DR
    Year of the truck is 06, sorry. And the problem, jflan, as I already sort of mentioned, I've looked through a lot of threads and there's soo many opinions on the "best lift setup" that I wanted to give my situation and see what you guys think. That is a little background of why I started this thread.

So, if I do 40k miles or more a year then LT would be more of a hassle?

I've heard a lot of good things about ICON.

5. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    yeah do not go LT if you're driving that much lol.

Icon Is a very good company to look at, among others. Give Downsouth motorsports a call, they are very helpful.

6. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    lol

7. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    RhysesPieces

RhysesPieces [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhys
    ALL OVER
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF RD 4DR

I'll just travel less then... Problem solved. haha

8. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Oh....didn't read the entire post.

Mid travel, as everyone has said.

coilovers, uca/lcas, new leaf pack with rear resi shocks, at tires and away you go

9. Jan 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    40K a year man. . . Wowzers.

Get a GO PRO HD mounted to your truck. I'm sure you're coming across some of the best sceneries the US has to offer.

I'd get a Nice MId Travel Set up if I were you. It will do about what you want with low chances of issues. LT will become a pain in the ass with the miles you're traveling.

If you get a SPINDLE (2WD), Front and Rear Suspension, Leaf Pack, UCA, do some trimming, cab mount chop, rims and nice tires. You're golden for what this Taco can do. . .

LED LIGHTS! ! ! Get yourself a light bar for those dark adventurous nights. ​

10. Jan 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    stock

11. Jan 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    RhysesPieces

RhysesPieces [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhys
    ALL OVER
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF RD 4DR
    Dude, I have the Go Pro HD and its amazing! I haven't had it very long but I did some good dirt bike riding out in the desert in Lake Havasu, AZ and I was thoroughly impressed.
    I'll be making good use of it for sure! There's been so many times driving across the country that I wanted to go find spots I could see in the distance or just take random traila I saw. Its been fun to say the least. Gotten in trouble a couple times lol.

12. Jan 18, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    There's a thread stickied I'm the long travel forum, things to think about before you LT your truck. Have a look, but from browsing that I'd tend to say the compromises of LT do NOT meet your needs.

Rather, as others suggested, a mid travel setup. The extra inch of droop will make more comfortable on highway drop bumps.

Run a moderate size tire and set the front height on the coilovers around 2 to 2.5" for max comfort and control while driving fast.

Eventually, someone will suggest removing your sway bar. Thats a bad idea of you log a lot of high speed highway miles in between your off road destinations.

13. Jan 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    This

14. Jan 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    tacomtn

tacomtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Assuming you have 4wd, you might wanna look into the RCD drop bracket lifts. If you're sure you're going to keep the truck awhile and don't mind cutting the frame's crossmember, it might be a good compromise for you. I think you can go from 4.5"-6" of lift.

Pros:
    Keeps the axle angles level, so eliminates potential diff problems (like I'm having)
    You will keep the same factory ride since the shocks are not maxed at the travel length, nice for those long highway drives. My OME is harsh on the washboard roads.

Cons:
    Cutting frame crossmember, I'm sure this voids Toyota warranty
    Other potential problems from losing crossmember integrity, though the included bracket is very beefy looking
    Uses block in rear, potential axle wrap problems (might be able to use AAL, IDK)
    May have driveshaft vibes (but same is true with all lifts)
    Relatively newer design. With all newer products, one never knows the longterm effects until later.

There's a thread on this, "RCD Club". http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/98012-rcd-club-how-many.html

15. Jan 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    lundy

lundy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2023 Double Cab 4x4
    I'd probably say the same. I know DB kits get a bad rep around here but I also think it's a good option. I have the same diff vibes mentioned above and it annoys me to no end and I only drive about 15 miles a day. But with 40k a year it would be horrible... and steep cv angles you'll probably replace boots every year.
    BTW I'd have Alcan make the leaf packs for your rear and ditch the blocks that come with the kit.

Take a look at posts by this guy: (6" Fabtech DB lift and not the same quality as RCD IMO)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/members/lightmup.html

Some of his videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRvhH4sxxXg&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMQ0oD15eJA&feature=player_embedded

16. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    RhysesPieces

RhysesPieces [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rhys
    ALL OVER
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF RD 4DR
    Hmm.....So, I read through most of everything you guys said. I do like the RCD lift it looks like. Seems like its a good medium between the 6 and the 3 inch standard size lifts and supposedly is pretty high quality. I would definitely use a leaf pack instead of the blocks though. Couple questions though-
    Most people that said Mid Travel for what I want, I pretty much agree with, as Long Travel seems unreasonable for what I use my truck for. But I want as much performance as I can get instead of just throwing a 3" lift on there. But then there were people that were talking about using Kings or Icons with the RCD lift. So, I'm dumb about lifts really cause I've never gotten one before, but what is the big difference between mid travel and the RCD lift?
    How much lift do you usually get with the mid travel setups?
    Some of the mid travel setups talk about how you can use them with no lift, which seems pointless to me.
    So is midtravel mostly just changing out the shocks to higher quality adjustable ones?
    Again, I feel like I dont have a clue or something isnt connecting and I have spent hours reading.

17. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    2010 Tacoma, sold...

I agree... i spend more time browsing, than making stupid comments to use the search bar :cool:

18. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Solo 20.5" 4x4 Front LT for $7,000

19. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Did'nt your mother tell you if you don't have anything good to say then shut the hell up?

Dumb a$$

20. Jan 20, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    hudhawk

hudhawk #texasforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Hudson
    California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Rust, lots of rust
    Total Chaos +2" long travel, nice leaf pack, and some nice shocks for the rear

Products Discussed in

To Top