1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Noob Question - Stock Off Road Suspension too "bouncy"

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by BearintheWoods, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Apr 17, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    BearintheWoods

BearintheWoods [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black Tacoma Off Road
    I apologize in advance for the noob question...

I purchased a new 2018 DCSB Off Road about a month ago. Got a chance to take it down a gravel road this past weekend with numerous ruts, wash outs, bumps, and other irregularities heading to a hiking trailhead. I was suprised how "bouncy" the ride was with the stock suspension. My wife and I were getting ping-ponged all over the cab. I was not going fast. The suspension just seemed too soft compared to how firm it feels on paved roads. After a few miles we were both exhausted.

I have no other Tacoma off-roading experience. I did own a Jeep Wrangler about 10 years ago. It handled much differently off road.

So my question:

Setting aside any need/desire to lift my truck, would aftermarket shocks and coils reduce this "bounciness" and smooth out the off paved road experience? I was considering the Bilstein 6112/5100 combo. Any suggestions appreciated.

_Rusty_Shackleford_ likes this.
  2. Apr 17, 2018 at 7:53 AM
    mdiprimio

mdiprimio Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 6MT Quicksand
    Blacked out grill / emblems Black lettering Color matched bumper caps BakFlip cover Subaru tweeters
    Hey there- wanted to chime in with my experience on this one to add to it-

I'm also surprised at the ride quality on the 2018 DCSB TRD OR, but mainly how harsh it is on road.
    I read many reviews on it saying how soft/boaty the suspension was, but it seems extremely harsh on the road, especially highway driving over 70.
    In fact, I actually spilled coffee on myself this morning on my highway commute while trying to drink it :Dand often hit the wrong button on the touchscreen because of the bouncy-ness.
    Now- I came from a Focus ST which has an extremely stiff suspension (IE go-kart) so I'd say my standards for ride quality are pretty low o_O
    Also- tires at 30-32PSI, bit of extra weight in form of tonneau and tools in the back.

I experienced something similar offroad, but don't have too many points of comparison there- I can only assume that bouncing is normal there haha

The thought in going for the TRD OR would be to keep the stock suspension for a few 10s of k before going aftermarket, but with the ride quality on-road....I'm not so sure. I swear it was softer on the test drive..

Any ideas here would also be much appreciated- did anyone else have a similar experience? I want to avoid having to drop $1k+ out of the gate on a new suspension setup here immediately.

3. Apr 17, 2018 at 7:59 AM
    BearintheWoods

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
  4. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    mdiprimio

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out grill / emblems Black lettering Color matched bumper caps BakFlip cover Subaru tweeters
    Yeah I can't even count the number of reviews read, however when it comes to suspension it gets very opinionated- what one things is too harsh, another thinks is too soft :D makes it difficult to diagnose problems haha

5. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:15 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Just a quick question............

Still stock tires?

Pressure you are running?

6. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    trdordcsb

trdordcsb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    i know that washboards in the desert are no fun on stock off-road suspension.

7. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:16 AM
    BearintheWoods

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the stock Goodyear AT Adventures. Running 40 psi.

8. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:19 AM
    BearintheWoods

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    I would think not.

Hoping one of the more experienced and wiser users here can answer the question. I don't have any friends with aftermarket suspensions to ask.

9. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:20 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Hmmmm. Is that the pressure that shows on the door jamb sticker? Sounds high to me.

Not that that would solve all your problem, but it will make a big diff on and off road if you are overinflated.

wilcam47 and Lt. Dangle like this.
  10. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:22 AM
    Pirate1975

Pirate1975 “What do you do with a drunken sailor...?”

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Statesville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD Off-road
    3rd bedrail.32”duratrac tires.CaliRaised bed stiffeners,rear ditch bracket for cb antenna .SOS Concepts sliders,3skids,bedrails.curtis rack.cobra 75 cb.HAM license.887 coils,Bilstein 5100’s,medium Dakar leaf pack,extended rear brake lines,wheeler’s superbumps bumpstops.carrier bearing drop bracket.sway bar delete
    The p rated tires are a little soft,in my opinion, to take off-road and use as a truck.great for highway and occasional off-road. I have preferred a c load for my use,as I add armor and decide to go off-road more I may look at e load again.
    I will do a suspension upgrade as mine wears to make it a little more stiff.

11. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    trdordcsb

trdordcsb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    not sure what is on the door but i did get an air compressor and plan to air down the next time i go out

yeah, i have also been looking at new tires. i bought a set of 17" 4Runner TRD Pro wheels and now im trying to decide on what is the best tire...but that is a different thread.

12. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    That psi is probably a little high. But yes, the stock platform is bouncy, and will tend to nosedive when the brakes are applied, like most vehicles. These trucks are pretty capable in stock configuration. An upgraded suspension will absolutely improve your driving experience. Coil over shocks for the front will help with that, if you just wanted to address the front for now. Coilovers are adjustable, so if you wanted to lift it and add upgraded rear shocks later you could do that.

13. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    BearintheWoods

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    Thanks @TXTaco13. That is what I figured but having no experience myself, wanted some advice. Would Bilstein 6112s be a good option?

TXTaco13[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    BearintheWoods

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    That is the pressure they came with from the dealership. I haven't touched them.

So I thought the idea of airing down your tires for off roading was for better traction. Does it help with the ride too?

15. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    All I'm suggesting is looking at the recommended pressures Toyota posts, and try that.

They are for street use.

I'm not suggesting you 'air down', just that you run whats posted. If it's 32# for example, your ride will be much more pleasant, at least on the street. It's just regular old tire use, nothing magic about it being a truck.

IF the OE pressure is indeed lower, it may help some on the road you were on. But likely not as much as you'd like overall. But always start with the simple stuff, then go from there.

PS, if you find them overinflated, remember that the guy who prepped your truck was a minimum wage behind the scenes person, not a master technician. I'd check everything else too.

16. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:44 AM
    TXTaco13

TXTaco13 Taco/T4R Enthusiast

Member:
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    4TH GEN V8 4X4 T4R
    '83 CJ7 '19 MT 07
    Sure. Coilovers can range in price from about the $600 range a pair, to over $1700. The more expensive ones are for the avid off-roader, or someone who just wants a really capable shock. The 6112 is a good setup, but if you want to adjust the height setting, you’ll have to disassemble them. True adjustable coil overs will have a collar that spins to adjust their height, like Fox, etc. I would look into Fox 2.0’s shocks if you are wanting an upgraded shock, but don’t need a crazy setup. There are a ton of options out there, I’d recommend looking around for a while before deciding.

17. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:45 AM
    BearintheWoods

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Vehicle:
    Thanks @Clearwater Bill . That make sense. I will double check this afternoon what the factory recommended psi is.

18. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    mdiprimio

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    I'm running 30-32 PSI (stock suspension & tires) and still having a very harsh ride on the road myself.

19. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:50 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Throw a couple hundred lbs in the bed over the axle and see if you like the ride better. Just as a test.

20. Apr 17, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    Pirate1975

Pirate1975 “What do you do with a drunken sailor...?”

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Statesville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver TRD Off-road
    3rd bedrail.32”duratrac tires.CaliRaised bed stiffeners,rear ditch bracket for cb antenna .SOS Concepts sliders,3skids,bedrails.curtis rack.cobra 75 cb.HAM license.887 coils,Bilstein 5100’s,medium Dakar leaf pack,extended rear brake lines,wheeler’s superbumps bumpstops.carrier bearing drop bracket.sway bar delete
    Your tires will make a difference on your performance! The p rated tires seem to roll a little more! A heavier tire sidewall will help. Easiest way to change your ride before the suspension! As Clearwater Bill stated, adding some weight in the bed may help also. Your rear end is very light empty and will hop if you have any speed!

Products Discussed in

To Top