1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OEM Glass Breakage Sensor Installation

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OnHartung'sRoad, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Jan 4, 2023 at 12:56 PM
    tacos4u

tacos4u Active Member

Member:
    I know you won’t get the hood ajar warning until you turn it on in tech stream. As soon as you hit turn on alarm the hood ajar pops on. So the dummy hood latch plug doesn’t work until you turn it on.

I’m thinking the updated latch would work the same as a hood pin though if that’s what you need without turning it on it tech stream.

2. Mar 7, 2023 at 8:55 AM
    nds0000

nds0000 Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Mar 7, 2023 at 12:32 PM
    twtaco$

twtaco$ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First you need to know is do you have a factory alarm? Does hood ajar light come on? If so I would think it’s a plug in and go. Pull the knee drivers knee panel and look at the plug compare if it’s a match. I would think it did not change.

if you don’t have a hood ajar you have to see if you have a blank plug at the hood latch if you do then you must get techstream to turn on alarm. If you can’t get it turned on in tech stream it’s not going to work. Just depends if you get that hood ajar or not.

auskip07 likes this.
  4. Mar 7, 2023 at 12:41 PM
    twtaco$

Member:
  5. Mar 7, 2023 at 1:07 PM
    nds0000

Member:
    Thanks for info, I do have factory alarm and hood ajar. I figure that there is not much difference in that respect from 2021 to 2023, but it may be just a different shaped plug and I am stuck. So, hope all works out. Will let y'all know if it worked.

6. Mar 7, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    twtaco$

Member:
    I bet it’s the same.

Barsoom likes this.
  7. Mar 10, 2023 at 5:13 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I know this is a old thread but I am finally getting back to it. I am not good at during the pin method, I am better at using wire taps. Can you tell me which wire coming out the back of the sensor I can tap into to make the LED blink with the security light. I know this was a while ago so I can understand if you don’t remember. I am also not very good at reading wiring diagrams, that is why for my question. Thank you.

8. Mar 11, 2023 at 2:00 PM
    nds0000

Member:
    Installed the GBS PT398-35160 on my 2023 Tacoma OR DCSB today. Had to turn up sensitivity to 10 but works like a charm.
    Caution when taking the plastic parts off, they easily scratch.
    For the hood ajar plug-if you have hood ajar switch installed, forget the loop plug. Is a bit misleading in the Toyota instructions.
    For testing, I turned off the fob, that way I did not have to walk it away (mine operates from 80+ft away...).
    Thanks for the install guidance on TW!

9. Mar 12, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    islesrule123

islesrule123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2016 inferno Tacoma TRD off road
    Trd pro suspension trd pro grill
    I’ll have to look into this later

10. Mar 13, 2023 at 8:19 AM
    twtaco$

Member:
    If you don’t get the hood ajar warning right now and purchase the GBS kit throw the loop away and do it right get the new security hood latch.

If you already get the hood ajar warning you already have the security hood latch throw loop away.

if someone gets your hood open it’ll sound the alarm, with the loop you get nothing. But also if you didn’t add security horns they may can reach in and cut your regular horn wire and you get no horn sound you would with added security horn.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...sor-installation.737526/page-12#post-27758546

elaudtr likes this.
  11. Mar 29, 2023 at 5:55 AM
    nds0000

Member:
    Installed the GBS and wanted to have the process finalized by having it registered with my vehicle at the Toyota dealer, as per installation instructions. They wanted to charge $160!
    Any experience what the consequence is if I do not register it on the vehicle? Not willing to pay $160 for a 10mins job….

12. Mar 29, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    iLLFadedBowl

iLLFadedBowl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White TRD Offroad Tacoma
    Remote start w/ vehicle control and locator, Prinsu rack w/ Cali Raised Light Bar and 360 LED lights, LED Bedlights, Tailgate lock, 3" Lift, Wheels and Tires, Raptor Lights, LED headlights and fog lights, Blacked out LED taillights, Front windshield eyebrow tint, Rough country bed molle, 8-gang switch to control LEDS, Dominator D6 running boards/side steps, Blacked out sequential mirror turn signals
    I've never heard about registering it. Maybe I didn't read that far in the instructions when I did my install. The only thing I can think of as to why you would need to is so toyota would recognize it as OEM and installed. So maybe when you search the VIN it comes up as added on or installed??? But what's the point in that if you really aren't going to get more resale value for a GBS? I would ignore that as long as it works as intended.

Barsoom and caribe makaira like this.
  13. Apr 2, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Does anyone know which wire coming out the back of the microphone I can use to tap into the blinking security light?

14. Apr 5, 2023 at 2:31 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Can anyone help on this?

15. Apr 5, 2023 at 8:06 PM
    iLLFadedBowl

iLLFadedBowl Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Super White TRD Offroad Tacoma
    Remote start w/ vehicle control and locator, Prinsu rack w/ Cali Raised Light Bar and 360 LED lights, LED Bedlights, Tailgate lock, 3" Lift, Wheels and Tires, Raptor Lights, LED headlights and fog lights, Blacked out LED taillights, Front windshield eyebrow tint, Rough country bed molle, 8-gang switch to control LEDS, Dominator D6 running boards/side steps, Blacked out sequential mirror turn signals
    From what I know the standard one that fits in the larger switch spot doesn't have an LED. I have seen some do it on the smaller ones. Sorry I'm not much help. Try to look back in this post or other posts to see if you can find the person that has done it. Try sending them a direct msg. From my experience everyone on here is willing to help so see if reaching out to them directly works. Good luck.

16. Apr 6, 2023 at 4:24 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Thank for your reply. I have the smaller one with the LED light. I’m trying to tie that into the blinking security light. I will look back on the posts and see if I can come up with something. Thanks

17. Apr 13, 2023 at 4:29 AM
    nds0000

Member:
    New experience with the GBS! Had my dogs in the car and the car locked. Suddenly the alarm goes off-nobody even close to the car… Found out that the mic is adjusted so sensitive that even the rabies and registration tag of the dogs set off the alarm when the dogs are moving.
    Will open up the panel again and reduce sensitivity to 8.

tacoma_ca likes this.
  18. Apr 13, 2023 at 5:25 AM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    20230413_082102_resized.jpg

19. May 9, 2023 at 10:13 AM
    twtaco$

Member:
    Ok you do not need Techstream I just purchased an xtool D8 and it will turn on and off the alarm, seat belt chime and anything techstream can do and more. I think the D7 would also turn the alarm on would be under ecu programming, other settings, security, security on. you could get a d7 for $220 with the discount on Amazon and apply for the amazon cc the it gives you a $150 gift card. but the d8 cost me $460 doing the same it just has a few more options. Heck if you do get techstream on your laptop its recommend to use the tachtrix cable which is $170 the d7 isn't much more.

20. May 19, 2023 at 5:53 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Finally got my GBS LED light tied into the security system light. It took me awhile but I was able to source a connector with the 4 wires (2wires to the GBS harness and 2 wires to the security light) from eBay. Everything fit perfectly and the connector was only $19 and it included a GB sensor. I found out the older Toyota cars that had a GBS had the right connector that fit into the small sensor. Once I get the pictures uploaded from my phone I will post pictures. I think it looks cool all 3 LED lights ( GBS, TRD pro shift knob, security LED) all blink off/on together.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Xx_Evilvirus_xX, twtaco$ and elaudtr like this.
To Top