1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official 2009 Manual Trans (POS) Thread!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BSP4x4, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Oct 1, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Love my 07 6 speed, I also have a 5 speed WRX, completely different animals when it comes to shifting, and I respect them both

2. Oct 1, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    My 2.7 exhibits some of the traits too. Rather than get pissed ( actually i did , at first) i sort of adjusted to it by leaving it in gear and not floating it in neutral. I know thats not "the" answer but give you might want to give it a chance. I had to learn a new way to run this manual, the holding rpm strikes me as something they did for a reason(or accidently), so when i want to shift at 2000 rpm on an even hill, i shift differently (go slow/easy casual/smooth), at 3000 it shifts real smooth for me so i shift more normal. By not focusing on the unloaded engine staying a bit revved and working with it, I find it quirky but not a problem.

From what I hear about the v-6 , on this forum, the auto gets better mpg than the manual.

3. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    Herculean

Herculean Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    SoCal
    A/R Chambers, BFG KM2's, Donahoes, Fox 2.0, Sliders, flowmaster, some little stuff.
    There are things I don't like about it, but I wouldn't change it. Enjoy driving the stick too much. Had the 6 speed in my 05 and got it again in my 07. Put the URD short shifter in both. Took longer to get used to the hanging revs on the 07 but I don't notice it now. Clunkiness is annoying, but it's a truck after all. Mileage is frustrating, but if it really bothered me I wouldn't have put mud terrains on. Automatics are boring to drive in my opinion which outweighs the negatives for me.

4. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    I hated my manual trans at first but now I have got use to it and like it. When I test drove it I just thought I had got a little "rusty" at driving a manual and would get better. It doesn't bother me anymore. My 2008 has 40,000 miles. I think it gets better as the miles add up. That being said...My 1982 Toyota pickup with a 5 speed and 280,000 miles shifted smoother.

5. Oct 1, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    Apathybot

Apathybot Penguin

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB : 4x4 : 6spd : SR5
    Weathertechs, Costco Seat Covers, Extang Trifecta, Firestone 2407, Tekonsha Prodigy P3
    I have noticed the clunkiness, going from my high-strung Impreza 5-spd to the Toyota 6-spd, but I chalk it up to it being a truck. There is definitely a need for a different approach with the 'yota.

My Subaru would immediately engine brake fairly hard when you let off the gas, so I had become used to holding the throttle ever so slightly when depressing the clutch to keep the revs up, but my Tacoma likes to WAY overshoot my intentions. From what I can gather, the throttle-by-wire system causes the revs to fall more slowly, so slowly that I can completely remove my foot from the gas, depress the clutch/switch gears and let out the clutch without any lurching at all [using normal shift points]
    I've gotten used to it so far, and I don't really have too much issue with the tranny besides that. I won't drive another automatic again if I can help it, I like to be engaged in my drive. Even at the cost of some noise and MPG :)

6. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:02 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    When I went to buy me a Tacoma I figured that the truck combination I was wanting (DC, 6-spd, 4x4, sport) would have to be brought in from another lot. My truck came from a lot somewhere in Woodbridge, Va. With all that being said, hands down I don't regret a thing about getting my 6-spd. I have always been and will always be a fan of manuals as long as I don't have any health problems keeping me from driving them.

7. Oct 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    usnatclee

usnatclee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 corvette 12 Camaro 13 And Wrangler
    (SOLD)4 Bilstein 5100's, OME885s, 2" Toytec AAL rear, 3" total lift, 285/70/R17 BFG MTX on stock rims, AIRAID cold air intake w/ secondary filter removed, CB radio w/ firestik shorty antenna, custom bumper and sliders from those guys rod and customs, URD stage 3 competition clutch, Tom Woods one piece double cardan drive shaft, and URD short throw shifter.
    So I wonder if re-gearing to say 4.56 would make a difference in starting in first. I am thinking about doing that and maybe getting a centerforce dual friction clutch to see if I can make it better.

8. Oct 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    My 2010 5spd does the same as the OP described. Got it with 3 miles on it and right off it was clunky 2nd and 3rd gears and letting out the clutch sometimes. Have to time it right. I took it on a road trip for the first time and noticed after getting off the highway(2 hours driving) that the shifts were smoother and no clunks......maybe switch to synthetic fluids at 10k and esp. in the gearbox.

9. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    BSP4x4

BSP4x4 [OP] Guest

Well it's nice to see some people have the same issues, hwo do I change to snyth gear oil?

Also does anyone know what could be causing the nasty noise while in N?

10. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    corona56

corona56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 DbleCab LB 4x4
    Added fog light mod Added delay wiper mod Alloy rims with BF Goodrich tires
    Me too.

11. Oct 2, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
  12. Oct 2, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    The manual isn't all that bad. Its a little noisy but livable.

The auto is a marvelous and very intelligent transmission. This downshifting is by design. When I am going down a hill and I press the break, it downshifts, brings the revs up, and slows down the vehicle. Just like it would if I was shifting a manual gearbox. Auto transmissions are not the slushboxes they used to be in the 70-80s.

13. Oct 2, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    BMBIG

BMBIG Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    SE Mass
    Vehicle:
    '11 4X4 Access 4-Cyl
    this is an exact description of what my transmission does. Only difference is that this is my first manual so i don't have a reference point.

14. Oct 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    dimitrik

dimitrik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dimitri
    Quebec
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD-Offroad
    AllPro Skidplate
    Funny, i was going to do a thread about the Revs keeping up while shifting. My dad said it wasn't normal, i said to just get used to it like i did.

He also said he likes the ''clunkiness'' of the trans, cause it reminded him of his big rig and that it assures him the manual transmission is solid as a rock.

I think the first gear being short is a good thing. First it helps with towing, and i think it could make putting bigger wheels a lot less of a hassle.

Hearing clunks and stuff doesn't bother me, i had a bronco manual that was smooth and felt weak, made no clunky noises when shifting or neutral, broke after i let my girlfriend try a manual. She kept dropping the clutch, not very solid.

I don't have trouble shifting from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3. You just need to get used to it a bit. Try waiting for the revs to go down, takes a sec, and then just guide it in and work the clutch smoothly. Don't jam it in, that's never good, just let it go in gently.

And i noticed the minor speeding up in second as well, don't know what is that about :p

Overall i am happy with the Trans, i had the same worries as you, but i stuck with it and i am happy i did. It feels solid even with the noises, no noise doesn't always mean good . Besides i like to off road, you won't catch me dead off roading with an auto!!!! YOU HEAR ME!!!

15. Oct 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    +1

I think most are concerned about something wearing out because of the noises. I agree with the "it's a truck" statement and love mine, but I do not want to be 50k miles in and something falls apart. 100k mile warranty may be a good idea for those concerned about the trans noises. If it lasts past 100k then it was "normal noises" and everyone moves on less $900.

On another note I was able to confirm that about 30mins of highway and shifting seems to loosen up the gears a bit(less clunk when pressing in clutch too).

16. Oct 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    Vidman

Vidman Protected by Glock

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    central Mass
    Vehicle:
    black TRD sport AC
    Not Enough
    I just got back from a trip to my friends house and i shifted all night from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 and 5 to 6 without a clutch................no problem

17. Oct 2, 2009 at 6:48 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.

I have an 09, 5spd stick, never had anything like these complaints, in fact, not a single problem or complaint with the stick.:cool:

18. Oct 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM
    Terrier

Terrier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    I have driven many stick shift vehicles in my life and this one is different; However, I am now used to it and it has gotten better over time. I have almost 15,000 miles on it. It took longer to get used to than any other I have driven, except maybe a column shift. Those column shifts really suck for me, in my opinion.

19. Oct 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    My 2009 stick seemed kinda notchy at first but after 4,500 miles it seems pretty smooth now. Somtimes things just need time to mesh. My other car felt notchy at first too but not anymore.

20. Oct 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    out_of_step

out_of_step Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD V6 SR5
    07 6spd, I love it works great for towing. It seems to make clunk nioses but it doesn't bother me, very solid feeling. Shifting took a little to get used to. It sounds dumb but theres actually a chart in the owners manual of recommended speeds and rpms to shift at. Seems to be harder to shift when cold, until it warms up.

Products Discussed in

To Top