1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Catch Can Install Guide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CayucosTacoma, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Apr 23, 2015 at 1:48 PM
    AWF ROWD

AWF ROWD ...eats at the " Y " often....

Member:
    First Name:
    Doc
    40.102° N, 82.804° W
    Vehicle:
    '13 BLOWN 4X4 Sport
    TRD Supercharger, Walbro 255 FP Upgrade, aFe Stage 2 si CAI, TRD Acrylic cover by Coupe ADD 1 OIL Catch can/SS hoses, TRD cat back exhaust, URD 2.8" Stealth pulley, 3" lift, Toytec/Bilstein C/O's, Toytec Progressive AAL's, LR UCA's, 5100 Rear Billies, Bi-Xenon HID BHLM Retro's w/ Halos RED LINE Tuning Hood Rods Swaybar Relocate, Line X'd Bull Guard/Step, Hitch, Craven Speed Dual Gauge mount, AEM Boost/AFR Gauges, Windows 20% tint, Weather Tech deflectors, GrillCraft upper and lower, Tacoma Raptor letters, LED Interior/Exterior lighting, Lund 6" Color Matched Oval Side Bars, Webasto 700 II sunroof, Heated Two toned custom leather TRD logo'd, Kenwood Multimedia 6990 HD head unit ,JL Stealthbox sub, Hertz Component speakers,, Entire cab damped with hushmat, Viper Security/Remote start, Weather Tech Liners, Blackened exterior LED Lights, Undercover Top w/LED's, Carbon fiber TRD windshield decal,, TRD stitched leather shift knob, TRD steering wheel emblem,
  2. May 18, 2015 at 3:52 AM
    patbegley

patbegley Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB
    Outside of the canister -meaning overtop the threads so when it's cracked down the o-ring is sandwiched and visible?

Assuming my auto parts store would have that specific ring size?

Thanks for the info

3. May 18, 2015 at 5:56 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Yes on the "sandwich". Any hardware/home supply store should have the o-ring.
    More on my (1st gen) install here https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/3-4-oil-catch-can.351301/
    Several pics of the o-ring, best one in post #15.

patbegley[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 24, 2015 at 10:26 AM
    patbegley

patbegley Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB

I'm currently sitting in front of an o-ring kit(out of province and away from the oil canister )

Would you happen to know the dip stick size o-ring off the top of your head?

Thanks

5. May 24, 2015 at 3:14 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I just about got my bracket finished. With the SC I had to get a little creative. I'm not much of a metal working, but I mocked it up with some card-stock and then went to bending some aluminum. I'll take pics when I'm done.

Update: got my bracket made. I used 1-1/2" aluminum. I made one side a little longer and slotted my holes so I can move it a bit. It will mount to the two holes on the inner fender drivers side. With my SC inter cooler reservoir in the way, I cannot mount it where most folks have. I will still have to do some positioning so I haven't mounted the can yet. BTW, how have you guys gotten to the PCV valve with your hand to get the hoses off/on?! I think that's going to be the hardest part.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Lord Helmet likes this.
  6. Jun 16, 2015 at 10:48 AM
    foampile

foampile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid-Atlantic
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 4WD 6 speed Extended Cab
    Any recommendation as to which actual can to acquire ? Are they all make/model-independent ?

7. Aug 23, 2015 at 3:36 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    Need to do thus soon

8. Aug 23, 2015 at 3:41 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

LiveFreeOrDie2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    FYI if your can comes with the clear tubing don't use it. Had my truck running for 5 mins opened the hood and return line was flat from the heat and vacuum.Picked up some tran cooler line to replace. Sorry no pics

9. Aug 23, 2015 at 3:54 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    I had bad experiences with that shitty hose on other things. So I wouldn't give it a chance either.

10. Aug 24, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I went with braided just to dress it up a bit. Had the lines and fittings laying around from another project.

11. Aug 24, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    LiveFreeOrDie2015

LiveFreeOrDie2015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    York PA
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD OFFROAD
    3in lift,Fox suspension,chaos UCA,AAL,leer 180 topper,SilverStar zXe headlights & fog lights,BAMF kickout sliders,Mobtown full skids,Pelfreybuilt center hoop, Pelfreybuilt Gas Tank Skid,50" curved LED light bar, Hood scoop LED, Tran cooler and fan,Oil Catch can,LED Strip lights under hood & Bed,
    just checked to tran cooler lines I hooked up and they are very soft but not flat from vacuum. What stainless steel lines can I get to fix this......think Im going to use SS for diff breather mod to just to over kill it.

12. Aug 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    SUMOTNK

SUMOTNK Pavement Pounder / Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    NorCal/South Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Looks like a Gen2.5 TRD Sport, but really an '08 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharged / OTT Tuned
    CayucosTacoma[OP] and TrdSurgie like this.
  13. Aug 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
  14. Aug 25, 2015 at 2:09 PM
    Conumdrum

Conumdrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma
    2WD Sport Nav SC V-6 Mall crawler Home Depot truck
    I used rubber 3/8" ID fuel line, thick wall, and I have the SC so there is more vacuum. No issues.

15. Aug 25, 2015 at 2:14 PM
    CayucosTacoma

CayucosTacoma [OP] Just think outside the Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Luis Obispo/San Jose
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab 4x4
    Specs in the Build Thread
    I used this originally too, but upgraded to SS just b/c they look better IMO.
    But yea what he said will work just fine

16. Sep 2, 2015 at 8:24 PM
    Tractorman

Tractorman Just A Dumb Farmer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stupid
    Misery
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB / MGM
  17. Sep 2, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    Subd?! Late to the game.

18. Sep 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM
    Tractorman

Tractorman Just A Dumb Farmer

Member:
    First Name:
    Stupid
    Misery
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB / MGM
    Yup! Just found out about these!

19. Sep 2, 2015 at 10:06 PM
    Biscuits

Biscuits Thorny Crown of Entropy

Member:
    Swiggity swangin' biggity bangin'
    Where did you source the SS lines?

20. Sep 18, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    Wasatch

Wasatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Could anyone show me their brackets/mounting location(s) in a 2012+? I have a 2013 and all the locations I have seen are from 2005-2012's.

Thanks!

To Top