1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil filter - NOT oil changes

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by shamuspi, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Aug 14, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    shamuspi

shamuspi [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    None
    I've only had my Taco for about 7-months now, but it has bothered me since day one to have the factory oil filter on it. Why? Because I know nothing about it, other than it meets the factory requirement. Without getting into an argument about which brand is the "bestest," do any of you change your oil filter somewhere in the middle of your oil's life (or even more often)?
    I'll be changing mine tomorrow.

2. Aug 14, 2018 at 9:41 PM
    Hartford

Hartford Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Acc Cab 5spd
    factory oil filter is actually really good. I change my filter when I change my oil. Mostly every 5k but never more than 7.5k.

tinker_troy likes this.
  3. Aug 14, 2018 at 9:54 PM
    Hartford

Hartford Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Acc Cab 5spd
    lynyrd3, tinker_troy and BassAckwards like this.
  4. Aug 15, 2018 at 3:15 AM
    shamuspi

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    None
    No; I did not want to argue filters as all you get is "mine is better than yours." I only want to find out if I am alone in changing them in-between oil changes. Before it is asked: Yes, I always precharge the new filter with oil before installing (assuming it is vertical). Hell, I'm such a case that I have three magnets on my filter(s), one top, two on the sides.

TireFire likes this.
  5. Aug 15, 2018 at 3:20 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    I agree with you. I don't use Toyota filters because there is virtually no spec info on them.

I use a full synthetic oil that will either allow me to go 10,000 or 15,000 miles per change. There is no spec info to tell me that those Toyota filters are rated to go more than 5,000 miles on conventional oil. So I just don't use them.

I use the oil filters designed for the type of oil I buy ie ones that have the specs to show they will filter for 15,000 miles.

I've done a lot of reading on extending OCI and my understanding is if you are using full AOI synthetics like Amsoil that are rated for 25,000 miles, it's a good idea to change the filter halfway through the life of the oil. For oils with OCI 15,000 miles or under it's really not needed to change the filter out prior to the OCI, so I just leave the filter there.

I don't plan on attempting to change my OCI to extend past 15,000 miles, if I did I would be changing the filter halfway through to match the recommendation of Amsoil.

Sir4taye likes this.
  6. Aug 15, 2018 at 4:26 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    I don't.

But if I decided to run a significantly longer OCI, based on a Blackstone lab report of my oil, than the Toyota recommended 10k, I'd do a filter change halfway. IE if Blackstone said 15k was good (with even a bit of headroom) I'd make the filter change at 7500.

Hoax.

The vast majority of wear material is non ferrous. And if you have enough ferrous wear material that magnets 'collect' something of significance, it's already too late for your motor.

There's a reason OEs install magnetic drain plugs in diffs and transmissions, and not the engine.

7. Aug 15, 2018 at 4:40 AM
    Johnders

Johnders Spacer Lift Survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Access Cab Tacoma Base
    2" Lift , 265/75R16 tires, K& N filter, MBRP Exhaust
    I have never heard of anyone changing the oil filter only, between oil changes. I would say that's certainly not typical... This seems very strange to me to even consider.. That being said, technology is changing and oils now say they go for much longer periods of time and I am not sure the filters really have changed at all. So I guess I could understand the logic behind your thinking.. But I also would never wait 10 -15k between oil changes regardless of what the oil is rated for.. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.. but maybe i'm just paranoid..Or just a sign I am getting old and stuck in the old 3K oil changes..(I usually go 5k range)..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  8. Aug 15, 2018 at 5:04 AM
    casey2012

casey2012 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    Vehicle:
    yota
    none
    ever thing about the rest of the truck its all factory

9. Aug 15, 2018 at 5:19 AM
    Radarninja

Radarninja Safety 3rd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    06 taco
    Chromed out radiator cap
    I’ve have read that the glues, materials like cardboard and the element itself in the filter will break down over time (Like all things do).
    I can’t site the source but my takeaway was not to go over 7,500 on my oil filters, no matter the oil.

10. Aug 15, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    TartanEagle

TartanEagle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '17 ACLB 4x4 MT
    Yep, I change my filter half way through the life of the oil. I go 25k on the oil and 12.5k on the filter. My Taco only has 5k on it now, so this hasn't happened w/ it yet - but past vehicles it has. My '93 Civic has 267k on the clock and has known only 8 oil changes (one is due now). My '73 RX-3 made it 265k on 25k oil change intervals (then stolen). My '85 Delta88 (diesel) made it to 280k before trading it for the Civic. None, not one, ever had any mechanical malfunction with the powerplant. I have changed alternators, distributors, water pumps, drive shafts (cheaper than CV joint alone), clutch master cylinders, and the like - but never any piston, cams, crank, timing shafts, main bearings, or needed cylinder honeing, or valve replacement, etc. or any engine oil bathed item. Also remember, that with a filter replacement you add back a quart of fresh oil - which replenishes the additive package in your sump oil. Long change intervals can only be accomplished with synthetic oil. But you DO have to keep it clean (filtered). A quality filter is worth every cent.

Sir4taye, dakotasyota and yota243 like this.
  11. Aug 15, 2018 at 11:51 AM
    shamuspi

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    None
    Wait a minute, I did not mean that I only change the filter in-between oil changes, but in addition to!

12. Aug 15, 2018 at 12:06 PM
    shamuspi

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    None
    Maybe, but if I can do something easy/semi-permanent, why not? The photo evidence shows their effectiveness. The top magnet grabs most of the metal BEFORE it goes into the filter, and the two on the sides capture those missed before they go back into the engine (or do I have this reversed?). So for about a $200 investment, I have extra "filtration" that lasts for years/the life of the engine. Even still, I do not trust ANY oil filter to do an outstanding job for a year or better. After 6 months, it is useless to me.

http://magnafilter.com.au/magna-filter.html

http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  13. Aug 15, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    Radarninja

Radarninja Safety 3rd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    06 taco
    Chromed out radiator cap
    I’m with it on the magnets. But if you were gunna do that you can buy a bunch of badass magnets for way less then a filter mag.

14. Aug 15, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
  15. Aug 15, 2018 at 1:32 PM
    otis24

otis24 Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    California
    Vehicle:
    OtisBound Outdoors Bodonkadonk
    OtisBound Bodonkadonk
    Interesting. I don't recall hearing of this idea before.

The recommended cycle on my motorcycle is oil change every 5,000 miles and filter change every 10,000 miles. That's the reverse of what you're proposing. I just change the filter with every oil change...I have them on auto-ship from Amazon and they cost like $5.

Something that just occurred to me - Will there be harm from changing the filter more often? Nope. If it makes you happy do it. It's easy and doesn't take much time or cost much money.

For me I drive my truck in dusty conditions a lot. I keep the air filter as clean as I can. However, I don't go more than 5,000 miles between oil changes and I change the filter every time. My truck has also been on the road for 16 years and has 231,000 miles on it.

BillsSR5 likes this.
  16. Aug 15, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    taco2010trd

taco2010trd Cyber Bully

Member:
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD OR DCSB
    I do 12,500 mile oci and use long life filters. I only Change filter when I change the oil.

17. Aug 15, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed
    Don't over think it. Change like the manual says and put a new Toyota filter when you do. No need to pre-fill the filter or add any magnets.

18. Aug 15, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I had an 85 Lincoln Town Car that would change it's own oil, and all I'd have to do is replace the filter.

toyodajeff, TRVLR500, CMD-KY and 4 others like this.
  19. Aug 15, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    shamuspi

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    None
    HA! Love it!:rofl:

20. Aug 15, 2018 at 2:30 PM
    shamuspi

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR
    None
    And there's nothing wrong with what you say. I chose to go a little/a lot further.

So, again, anyone else change your oil filter midway into your oil's life?

Products Discussed in

To Top